Old ideal windlass testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
--I missed the fuse in the CONTROL wire at the panel. Yes, it should be fused.
--I also agree that the foot sw. can be paralleled to offer actual final control at the control , wheel, station for dual position control.
--I would make that parallel panel control sw. for the up a Momentary sw. so it cannot be left on or accidentally bumped to ON.
MOM. Toggle or Push Button depending upon mounting choices. It can be added later if the foot sw. only is not quite working out as well as hoped.

I would not change the control to a negative ground.

Attachments

• Windlass wiring sketch 2.pdf
    251.6 KB · Views: 47
--I missed the fuse in the CONTROL wire at the panel. Yes, it should be fused.
--I also agree that the foot sw. can be paralleled to offer actual final control at the control , wheel, station for dual position control.
--I would make that parallel panel control sw. for the up a Momentary sw. so it cannot be left on or accidentally bumped to ON.
MOM. Toggle or Push Button depending upon mounting choices. It can be added later if the foot sw. only is not quite working out as well as hoped.

I would not change the control to a negative ground.

This is my panel, it has switches so shouldnt that make the proposed new swithch on your diagram unnecessary?

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 40
My Ideal came with an "up" button and circuit only. I added the exact same configuration with a "down" button that you would have to be Nadia-the-gymnast to reach simultaneously. Simple, duplicate solenoids. Buy good quality solenoids (and a spare) and keep them dry. I would undo the clutch for the chain gypsy and use the smooth drum to haul prawn traps. The down circuit made it way easier to adjust the chain tension with a snubber.

Yes, if that panel has an unused sw. use one of them for the control power.

If you want the MOM option then you will need a separate sw. as I doubt Seadog offers than for this panel. But ask.

Also this panel appears to have a circuit breaker. Just check the rating as you won't need more than 2-3 amps to operate the big relay. If it is a bunch larger capacity then get one more appropriate , smaller .

Last edited:
I would undo the clutch for the chain gypsy and use the smooth drum to haul prawn traps. The down circuit made it way easier to adjust the chain tension with a snubber.

You'd run the trap line down the anchor roller on the bow?

Back
Top Bottom