Older boat, never frozen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
I have a 1987 44 Viking, she's always been indoor heated for winters. Since new.
There's an issue with locks on the Richelieu north of LK Champlain.
I may not be able to get to the storage facility.

This could force me to outside winter store under shrink wrap. I'm very concerned about crazing of the gelcoat once it freezes for the first time in her "life". I believe she's probably gained a little water weight over the years. Once it freezes and expands , let the crazing begin.

Is this a valid concern
Anyone experienced this ?

If you have water in the hull then absolutely don't let it go below zero. Once that water freezes it expands and next year you will suck up more water, etc etc.
As long as the water is salt you don't need to worry about wood rot, that only happens with sweet water. It is serious situation, but when you take your precautions you will be fine. No need to immediately write the whole boat off.

I have a 1987 44 Viking, she's always been indoor heated for winters. Since new.
There's an issue with locks on the Richelieu north of LK Champlain.
I may not be able to get to the storage facility.

This could force me to outside winter store under shrink wrap. I'm very concerned about crazing of the gelcoat once it freezes for the first time in her "life". I believe she's probably gained a little water weight over the years. Once it freezes and expands , let the crazing begin.

Is this a valid concern
Anyone experienced this ?
The answer is simple. Head south. Scarano Boatworks in Albany can hand any size boat and may have indoor storage. I'm not sure if it's heated though. If not, keep heading south.

The answer is simple. Head south. Scarano Boatworks in Albany can hand any size boat and may have indoor storage. I'm not sure if it's heated though. If not, keep heading south.
He can’t because of the closed lock.

I actually found an indoor place on the Richelieu. Big place , name is Mathias Marine. I was hauled last week and they were great to work with.

My answer to your question, our '86 was shed kept in CT through the winter before we bought her in '10.
We moved her to PA for the 1st winter and there was no damage to the boat under shrink-wrap. She was kept that way, although I had a cover made that we used, until '16 when we started the Loop.

Along the way she was wintered in Cayuga, NY during the winter and Penetanguishene, ON also under shrink wrap.

You should be more concerned about the winterization of the systems in the boat. I have done our winterization since someone I hired didn't do a good job and our stern water supply setup froze and since it is imbedded in the boat I can't fix it.

I haven't had any issues with wintering outside under shrink wrap but as I said, you need to be on top of winterizing all the necessary parts. I have a list if that might help.

BTW, IF the boat decks are dry before you cover you should be OK and unless your fiberglass has grazing issues that should be a problem either. Under tthe wrappyou will build up some heat which should help in keep the boat dry.

Good luck.

As above. Here in Michigan probably 3/4 of boats are stored outside. I've had boats over 50 years and have never stored inside. And a lot of the indoor facilities are not heated so it's still gets cold inside. Our temps can be below freezing for days or weeks at a time and can dip below 0*F occasionally. We have to pay close attention to winterizing both the domestic water and engine cooling systems but other than that I've never heard of freezing actually causing damage. Ice and snow on deck, yes, but shrink wrap prevents that.

Back
Top Bottom