Older boats in florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our marina is governed by our HOA Docs which do state all vessels need to be insured and the marina must be listed as a loss payee. For transient boats our dock master is supposed to verify coverage before they are allowed in. Whether it is done 100% of the time, I couldn't say but we did have a boat in there recently that looked ill-maintained and I questioned the dockmaster about coverage on the vessel. He double checked and verified that it was covered.

I think the insurance requirement is becoming pretty common, but it's age that seems to be in question.

100 boat slips and always filled, no room for transits.
No room for friends

I think the insurance requirement is becoming pretty common, but it's age that seems to be in question.

Our marina doesn't care about age, just appearance, maintained, can be moved under its own power and insured. If it's insurable age doesn't matter

Last edited:
OK...in post #36 you said a boat looked ill maintained but was insured. So was it kicked out?

I've heard of similar rules at RV parks. I honestly believe that this is a 'Trump Card' rule that allows them to refuse service to undesirables. This type of rule would rarely, if ever, be used, but is there in case a 'Jed Clampett' comes in, they can be refused service by pointing to the rule.

It's easier to say "My apologies, but company policy says, no 'boats/RV's' over 'x' years old. Rather than. "Sorry, we don't accept vagrants". The former is just easier for staff.

Huh -- we have a '96, if this becomes common, we'd have three years to go, and ours still feels relatively new or young to me. Always amazes me how there's apparently so much money sloshing around in some places that they don't want the business. (Our marina is still willing to tow dead boats into their slips at spring launch, and then tow them out in October. Summer barges really.)

(Our marina is still willing to tow dead boats into their slips at spring launch, and then tow them out in October. Summer barges really.)

I think that's more common up north. The forced winter haulout means everyone gets an eye on things underwater annually. That, and the costs involved with moving the boat tends to limit just how neglected things get, so there's less concern for a boat sitting in the water for years with no attention and eventually sinking.

Just because it looks good doesn't mean the owner can drive it.
Have seen muppets smash $3milion boats and their neighbours boat the first time they tried to get into their berth themselves.
The Captains abilities (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the boat's age or condition.

My boat just turned thirty, and the insurance tripled, in spite of a TOTAL rebuild/refit three years ago, and a squeaky clean survey last year.
I’m not in Florida, but I think most marina managements everywhere will follow the insurance industry’s leads in making it hard and expensive to own an older vessel.
My marina requires that they be named as “additionally insured” on my policy, which looks like I’m paying directly for their insurance, and can loose my slip if I don’t.

Additionally insured is common. Even at our private yacht club.

I think your right. Now if everyone will just head north for the year the slip rates will come down.

The Captains abilities (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the boat's age or condition.
Agree!
20210905_120738.jpg

Huh -- we have a '96, if this becomes common, we'd have three years to go, and ours still feels relatively new or young to me. Always amazes me how there's apparently so much money sloshing around in some places that they don't want the business. (Our marina is still willing to tow dead boats into their slips at spring launch, and then tow them out in October. Summer barges really.)

When someone names the rumored marinas, I'll call and verify, and then, and only then, I'll believe at least those examples of unicorns exist.

This really isn't a thing, at least in my world.

Mine is 50 and I'm in the largest marina in Florida. No issues.

Just heard a rumor..................

Raised an eyebrow when I read that. I live in Florida. Only docking I do is transient. My 50 year old trailer trawler has never been a problem. I also have never been asked for "proof" of insurance as a transient.

Last edited:
Raised an eyebrow when I read that. I live in Florida. Only docking I do is transient. My 50 year old trailer trawler has never been a problem. I also have never been asked for "proof" of insurance as a transient.

I've had folks tell me over the phone I'll need to show it, but other than my home marine no one has asked. Now and then a marina has mentioned finding it in the info Dockwa sent over, so I must have entered it there.

We are busting our asses to get out of FL, never to return so I don't care what they do...............

That said there is a line around the block of those waiting to come in. Do you know something no one else knows? Fair winds and following seas!

That said there is a line around the block of those waiting to come in. Do you know something no one else knows? Fair winds and following seas!
Yes, Florida had the greatest number of inflow residents last year - something over 350k net inflow. Texas was second with just a tad fewer. New York and California both lost a commensurate number.

Peter

It's not just people moving residences, it's also a flood of snowbirds in boats and RVs in the winter.

With the loss of dockage in the Southwest Fl area last year but the reduced number of snowbirders from COVID...it is a bit hard to gauge the real influx.... but between the building, traffic and crowding in general.... it's hard to not notice.

I think the covid thing is fully over. It was hard the believe how many boats were in the Bahamas this last winter compared to 2 years ago.

A while back I looked at the ads for property in an around Lake Okeechobee FL. Might be time to fill up that part of FL. LOL

I wouldn't say "fully over" but at least back to normal, or the new normal.

Well, I found a marina that will not allow old boats in Florida. Cozy Cove in Ft Lauderdale. I called them to get a covered berth for a month to varnish and no go for anything over 30.

A while back I looked at the ads for property in an around Lake Okeechobee FL. Might be time to fill up that part of FL. LOL

I used to have a place in Okeechobee, on Taylor Creek. There were very few boats over 30 ft or so. There is one drawbridge and it required 5hrs notice back then all other bridges were fixed and probably had 10ft clearance at most. Also, if the lake was at 12ft many canals would not even have enough water to float a pontoon boat.

...Also, when they state the lake level depth, it is not water depth it is how many ft above sea level the water is. I boated all over the lake and have experienced 6 ft of water when they stated the level of the lake was 12-14ft.

Older boats in FL

Depending on what you need or want I can recommend Port LaBelle Marina for a place that will take older boats. Ours is an '86. Insurance is a requirement though.

It is a basic old style FL marina which I found out means that there is no power or water to the docks. It is on the western side of Lake O and generally a good hurricane hole although I lost our hard top in Ian.

Staff is attentive, friendly and helpful.

No covered sheds but docks & finger piers are in good shape.

Alligators swimming in the basin for entertainment.

We used solar to keep the batts charged until Ian then lost the roof, solar & batts. Insurance has been good on replacements.

Well, I found a marina that will not allow old boats in Florida. Cozy Cove in Ft Lauderdale. I called them to get a covered berth for a month to varnish and no go for anything over 30.
Huh. We'll, if that's going to become a more common practice, marinas ought to publish that more clearly, particularly for transients so we don't waste time. That's going to exclude a lot of boats in fine condition, but I guess they don't need the business. Just checked thier website, no mention of that policy.

Back
Top Bottom