Oldest To-Do Item - Done!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthoennes

Guru
Vessel Name
Xanadu
Vessel Make
Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We bought our current boat in 2015. The previous owner (second owner) was great. Excellent maintenance, no complaints. He did leave me one item though. The sink faucet in the forward head was badly corroded and needed to be replaced. Not sure why, the aft head faucet looked fine, but forward the chrome was pitted and gray and greenish, all discolored and just looked gross. He left us a brand new replacement faucet - however, he never tackled it because someone had used adhesive caulk to seal the under-sink access panel to the surrounding cabinet. This weekend, my son and I finally tackled it. Knife, steak knife, chisel, screwdrivers, utility knife, pry bar, bent two cabinet door hinges until we took off all the hardware, just a struggle and a mess all around. I didn't want to break or crack the surrounding fiberglass cabinet so we had to be gentle. Took two hours by the time it let loose.

So in summary, we have a shiny new faucet in the forward bathroom, the access panel can now be easily removed in the future to reach all the plumbing, wiring and A/C ducting back there, and finally, may the bonehead who used 92 ounces of adhesive caulk to glue in an access panel be taken behind a boat storage yard and beaten black and blue with a gym sock filled with quarters. There, I feel better.

Attachments

• 20240922_133403.jpg
    20240922_133403.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 15
I agree! A pox on anyone gluing in an access panel.

Yup, another "what was he thinking" moment - :)

Congrats on finally tackling that task. I can imagine how frustrating it was. Fyi, one of my most favorite tools that I now keep on the boat is a battery powered oscillating saw. If I had to do that job I would have used the oscillating saw with a knife blade. Makes cutting through glue and silicone like cutting through butter. And no damage.

That is why I don’t use 5200 on anything other than transducers or through hulls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom