Onan MDKAU 5KW Generator shuts down, no lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike3034

Vessel Name
Eirinn Rose
Vessel Make
American Tug 41-09
I have a 2005 Onan 5KW generator with about 1600 hours on it. It starts and runs fine, but at times after running for about 10-20 minutes it will shut down with not warning lights coming on. It will then easily restart and sometime run fine and other times die again after 10-20 minutes. This is normally when it's under load of the hot water tank 120V 10 amps and the heat/air conditioner 120V 10+- amps. or when the water maker is on 220V 15 amps. Only run the water maker by itself with no other load. Looking to see if anyone has run into this issue. When a code has appeared, it's been GOVERNOR OVERLOAD—CODE NO. 22
(Maximum allowable time at full-duty cycle was exceeded). But this comes up very infrequently. Curious if anyone has had this issue or know what may be causing it. I've replaced the oil and water pressure sensor switch's along with the exhaust temperature switch, as they were previously an issue.

Do you think it is getting air into the system causing the motor to drop out govenor i assume electric trying to recover and going to full fuel to long trips the code? Or was the linkage adjusted at all recently causing the controler to be sitting at the peak of its swing? Or does she sound like she is trying to push a load and just drops out?

Do you think it is getting air into the system causing the motor to drop out govenor i assume electric trying to recover and going to full fuel to long trips the code? Or was the linkage adjusted at all recently causing the controler to be sitting at the peak of its swing? Or does she sound like she is trying to push a load and just drops out?

No, don't think so. Engine runs normal at normal RPM's, they all of sudden stops.

No, don't think so. Engine runs normal at normal RPM's, they all of sudden stops.

I got the same in my Onam. You have problem with the sensors. Detach them and try again

Back
Top Bottom