Overhead Salon and Bathroom Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carter1272

Vessel Name
Uriel Fremont
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Trawler
Dumb question: I have a 2005 34 Mainship Trawler and can't seem to figure out how to get to these light bulbs to change them. Help.

No, but I will get them.

Any time you are asking how to do something it is always a good idea to upload some photos. I have no idea what lights are in your boat but with a photo or two I may recognize the light and be able to help. But, please, keep asking as we love to help.

My "mystery" dome lights only needed a twist

Dumb question: I have a 2005 34 Mainship Trawler and can't seem to figure out how to get to these light bulbs to change them. Help.

If they're round "puck" lights with either a white plastic (Mako) or "brass" (Cayman Broc) bezel, they might be from DRSA.

The bezel rotates to clear three (I think, but maybe four) tabs... and then the bezel and lens come off easily. Pressure the bezel upwards toward the light a little, first, to make it easier.

The original incandescent bulbs can be replaced with G4 bi-pin (sidepin) LEDs. (We got all of our replacements from marinebeam.com)

Note my reply here started with a IF statement...

-Chris

Here is a picture of the perplexing light fixture

Attachments

• IMG-0294.jpg
    IMG-0294.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 46
Looks like Chris in post #8 may have won a chicken dinner…

Doesn't look exactly the same as DRSA's Mako or Cayman Broc models, but I'd guess it might work the same way. And it might just be a different DRSA product similar in design. A little upward pressure on the bezel, see if it rotates...

-Chris

This photo shows the "top" of the light fixture (same model?) that's in my 2009 MS Trawler shower. You can see the entire fixture is secured with the spring loaded "finger snappers" on two sides. You shouldn't have to remove the entire fixture to change the bulbs but thought it might be useful for reference.

Attachments

• 20220921_133037.jpg
    20220921_133037.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 52
I have similar light fixtures. I use a paint can opener to slip between the bezel and and the ceiling and then pull down. If you are not experienced at doing this I suggest you wear work gloves as the springs are pretty quick to snap against your fingers. After you get the knack of doing the removal you will be able to do it without the gloves. If you do not wear gloves as a novice the light will come out and you will loudly emit four letter words.

Above 2 posts are correct.
A putty plastic or metal knife will help get the pull down started and YES be carful of the spring SNAP...

There shouod be one small screw in the housing that allows separation and access to the bulb. They are G4 dual pin type bulbs and I've had good luck finding LED disc replacements that fit and work well. Just be sure to buy quality LEDs with a rating of something like 10to30V and they will last. Cheaper 12V LEDS have a tendency to flicker & burn out from the 14+V they see when charging
Marine Beam and SuperBriteLEDs are a coupld quality vendors - just be sure to check specs.

I have a main ship 47(97) and think that I have the same rims. I had difficulty twisting them but found that using a filter wrench allows for easier gripping.

On my 2007 Mainship 34, I just pulled the lights downward. They have two spring clips that hold them into the holes in the headliner. Then you can put LED bulbs in place of the hot halogen bulbs they used. I replaced all the halogen bulbs throughout the boat with LED.
good luck

This photo shows the "top" of the light fixture (same model?) that's in my 2009 MS Trawler shower. You can see the entire fixture is secured with the spring loaded "finger snappers" on two sides. You shouldn't have to remove the entire fixture to change the bulbs but thought it might be useful for reference.

Your shower is networked! What will they think of next?

They twist off. They get stuck to the ceiling material so it is sometimes hard to get them to turn. Try trusting counterclockwise, if that does not work try clockwise. The bezels have 3 or 4 small protrusion that goes into a slot. You can see them on the outside if you look closely. They look like a very small hole.

mystery lights

Not exactly the same, but I spent at least an hour on a similar problem trying to figure out how to get to my lightbulbs. Turns out there is a very tight connection where you can wedge a small flathead screwdriver in - this will pop the ring off holding the lens in place.

Attachments

• IMG_5975.jpg
    IMG_5975.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 31
The original incandescent bulbs can be replaced with G4 bi-pin (sidepin) LEDs. (We got all of our replacements from marinebeam.com)

-Chris

I should get around to replacing my bulbs with LEDs. Do the LED bulbs require specific polarity?

I should get around to replacing my bulbs with LEDs. Do the LED bulbs require specific polarity?

Yes, but with the G4 bi-pin design, you can't hardly get it wrong without turning the "bulb" (diodes) away from you. (Assumes boat wiring is "correct" in the first place.)

With wedge LEDs (T5, T10, etc.) if they don't work the first time, you can rotate 180° and reinsert into the socket -- that fixes it.

One reason I consistently use (and mention) marinebeam is because the first sets of G4 bi-pin lights we used -- from a relatively reputable marine lighting source, at the time, since out of business -- eventually showed signs of excessive heat on the back plane. This was early on, maybe most have improved since then, but the marinebeam products haven't ever become overly hot.

-Chris

Last edited:
Marinebeam looks like a good company, thanks for the tip. I didn't realize there was a standard way to wire the fixtures. Which pin should be +? Maybe I'll do some measurements before ordering.

They twist off. They get stuck to the ceiling material so it is sometimes hard to get them to turn. Try trusting counterclockwise, if that does not work try clockwise. The bezels have 3 or 4 small protrusion that goes into a slot. You can see them on the outside if you look closely. They look like a very small hole.
The ones shown in the pic pull down no rotation reqd. The shower is the only one you can access from rear under the helm so pulling down is reqd. Yes be cautious re spring snap.
I had no issues w polarity but if anyone does simply reverse the leads on the fixture.

Same lights on my 2006 MS. I got one out with a spoon but it took a lot of pressure.I was afraid I was going to damage the head liner! The two springs are very strong. I will try the beer/bottle opener. The factory bulbs use a lot of amps!

Same lights on my 2006 MS. I got one out with a spoon but it took a lot of pressure.I was afraid I was going to damage the head liner! The two springs are very strong. I will try the beer/bottle opener. The factory bulbs use a lot of amps!

True on the amps but they also double as space heaters! lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom