Oyster Bay Marina at Ladysmith BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydraulicjump

Vessel Name
Off Leash
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38e
I thought I would post this to our Marinas, etc. forum. We did our annual visit to Ladysmith, BC for a great restaurant and amazing bakery. In every single conversation with folks I had after our visit they always started with "I thought the marina had closed." No, it is under new management, but there was some significant controversy involved. Here is my (overly long) post to ActiveCaptain that makes a lame attempt to explain what is going on. Apologies to those who never cruise this area, but this is a cute little town that some of us visiting the Gulf Islands like to frequent. Oh, and a reminder, don't believe everything you read on the internet about this issue. Including this post!

"As veterans of visits to this marina and town will note, some things have changed. And it is too early to tell whether the changes are for the better or worse for us, the cruiser community. To simplify (and I am sure to get some of this wrong), the marina is technically owned by the BC Province and leased to the Town of Ladysmith, which, in turn, subleased it to the Ladysmith Maritime Society (LMS) to manage. As part of reconciliation efforts with indigenous peoples, the Province and the town ended the sublease with LMS and transferred the marina and adjacent land to the Stz’uminus First Nation which, in turn has renamed the marina Oyster Bay Marina and hired a new management team. This process has been very tough, with lots of strained relationships between some members of the town and the marina. We spent a fair amount of time on our recent visit listening to folk’s views on this, both in town and on the dock. The new management is here to stay—with strong support from local government, the Province and the courts, and they have grand plans.

From the point of view of us, the cruiser community, the Oyster Bay Marina will have little in common with the one run by LMS. The plans can be found here:

It is very impressive and they have funding for clean up work and initial improvements to the docks. But a 1200 slip marina with houseboats and a large condo complex, including a new restaurant, is a big change and will take many years to complete. We cruisers know how often grand plans get derailed, so this is all a wait and see. The good news is that they plan to clear out all the derelict boats next to the marina (a perpetual eyesore). But for now, the docks are pretty empty. No worries about getting space on the transient dock which used to be pretty crowded in the summer. The showers and laundry are the same. The facilities are sparse and clean. I found the management polite and engaging—and very enthusiastic about the development plans—but the staffing is minimal. And of course, the wonderful little town of Ladysmith is at the top of the hill with Maya Norte—our favorite tapas restaurant—and Old Town Bakery with cinnamon buns bigger than your head, an amazing meat market, good provisioning, and good hiking to work it all off. Just don’t visit on Sundays when they roll up the streets. We will come back next year and report on progress."

That is good news for now, was wondering about the status. Thanks for the update!

I have been going to the Ladysmith Maritime Society's (LMS) facilities yearly for over 20 years and have watched this situation develop for more than a year.
I'm ashamed of what our Government has done there.

LMS will likely sue the Government soon.

Here's their take latest on the situation.

I looked at planning my annual trip to the LMS about a month ago but when I called the new owners at Oyster Bay Marina, a recording told me to use their new site to make reservations. Their site now uses Molo (whatever that is) to make reservations.
At that point I gave up as I have no appetite to be involved in a data breach and phoned Rob at Chemainus Municipal Wharf for a berth. He was full on the mid Aug. date I wanted so I changed destinations to Pender Harbour. I will miss the town of Ladysmith, but I doubt they will miss me.

If the long transient dock is indeed pretty empty, it looks like I'm not alone in avoiding the place due to the new owners and management.
I do note that the LMS's Dance off the Dock party on the 22nd of June was canceled and don't know if July's Dine off the Dock party in about 10 days will suffer the same fate, time will tell.

Ladysmith itself is a wonderful town with now only Ladysmith Marina as an option, albeit one with about a 20 min. longer walk to town. Maybe next year, but I won't be staying at the newly named Oyster Bay Marina.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom