Passing of Doug Snider (ALBA BELLA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobomack

With Patti’s approval for this post, and with great sadness, I share tragic news with the Helmsman Trawlers and the TrawlerForum communities. Doug Snider (Doug_Snider) passed away unexpectedly last week while while he and Patti were on the water, crabbing. Doug and Patti (PattiS), owners of ALBA BELLA, have been boating buddies with many on this forum, and enthusiastic members of the Helmsman Trawlers family. They were living their retirement dream together, homeported at La Conner, Washington, enjoying the Salish Sea and adventure and community. Those who know about the lifelong journeys that brought Doug and Patti together as husband and wife will perceive the heartbreak that Patti is experiencing in her loss. The absence of this fellow mariner, friend, and fine gentleman will be felt by many.

O Lord, he sails with you now.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Attachments

• IMG_8107.jpeg
    IMG_8107.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 118
This is heartbreaking news. We all, I am sure, send our love to Patti. This is a terrible and unexpected loss.

Jeff and Barbara

He was a member of our yacht club and a dang good guy.

I am deeply saddened to hear this and my thoughts go out to Patti. It seems tragic--Doug was so excited about the adventures to come on their cherished Alba Bella.

Doug was such a kind and generous person as Alison and I were entering the Helmsman family. We are very sad to learn of this news. Our thoughts are w Patti.

It seems like just yesterday when Doug and Patti gave us a heartfelt bon voyage as we embarked on our trip north to Alaska. We shared a memorable evening anchored together like others, this time in their favorite gunkhole at Cypress Island in the San Juans, drinking wine, telling stories, and watching the sunset. We were looking forward to bringing back more stories to share with Doug and having hours of laughter together at the next anchorage rafting together.

Doug and Patti on Alba Bella.jpg

Both our vessels were commissioned side by side, which was the start of a great nautical friendship. Doug was immensely proud to be a part of the Helmsman Family and cherished every moment as the captain of Alba Bella. He loved telling stories about their adventures together. His passion for the sea and his warm, welcoming spirit will be deeply missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

Fair winds and following seas, Doug. You will always be remembered fondly on the Salish Sea and all waters of adventure.

Tom, Jill and Lilly

Oh my.

Heartfelt condolences to Patti.

All will miss such a great guy.

This is sad to news to hear. Condolences to Patti as well as everyone here that knew Doug.

I think this thread also speaks very highly of Scott and the team at Helmsman as well as Doug and Patti's choice to buy a boat from them. I can't think of many boat manufacturers that know their customers well enough and have the level of interaction needed to write a thread like this.

Met Doug and Patti a while back and thought what a wonderful couple. He will be missed. Our hearts go out to Patti.

I am so sorry to hear this. Doug and Patti were so generous with their thoughts and advice as our boats were being built. The sense of humor he showed over the “Switched at Berth” escapade when our two boats were delivered was just one example of his underlying kindness and the great perspective he had on life. I will miss that and his sage counsel on all things Helmsman.

May the good Lord bless and keep Patti and the family in such trying times.

Prayers for Patti and their family during these times. Doug's positive attitude, encouraging spirit and zest for life were reflected many times over in the advice he shared through this forum.

-Chas

With Patti’s approval for this post, and with great sadness, I share tragic news with the Helmsman Trawlers and the TrawlerForum communities. Doug Snider (Doug_Snider) passed away unexpectedly last week while while he and Patti were on the water, crabbing. Doug and Patti (PattiS), owners of ALBA BELLA, have been boating buddies with many on this forum, and enthusiastic members of the Helmsman Trawlers family. They were living their retirement dream together, homeported at La Conner, Washington, enjoying the Salish Sea and adventure and community. Those who know about the lifelong journeys that brought Doug and Patti together as husband and wife will perceive the heartbreak that Patti is experiencing in her loss. The absence of this fellow mariner, friend, and fine gentleman will be felt by many.

O Lord, he sails with you now.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers
I’m so sorry to hear this tragic news. Our prayers are with you Patti.

Back
Top Bottom