Perfect Boat haha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
I currently have a Mainship 34T for me it is the perfect layout easily can single handle when I have less experienced crew or I have to move the boat by myself with side door access and can easily move around boat safely. I love the large salon with the galley down it allows full use of the beam on this boat although the boat is only 34’ the salon is great for 4 plus people without being cramped .The fly bridge is huge and is another place to have some privacy although I have been getting used to running from below but no chair for the first mate she sits on the counter top with her feet on the galley counter top, could do without the fly bridge. Cons, small cockpit unusable for lounging or setting up deck chairs and my first mates biggest complaint is the speed. Most of our trips are 4-5 days up to 10 days. Lots of travel time at 8 knots and tons of fuel at 13 knots. At 8 knots probably about 2mpg. I see some express down East cruisers getting similar mileage at 20 knots but there is no salon to speak of. I’m looking to stay under 40’ beam on the Mainship is 14’6” which makes a huge difference even with the walk around decks. I also want to get something a bit newer than 2006 before I have to make all my upgrades. What to do? First world problem!

A lot of that sounds like the Helmsman 37, or perhaps the brand new 38 Sedan.

Except

Galley up. Side decks.

Side decks and a door at the helm station for docking access. Full flybridge. Seating across the aisle for the wife and guests.

Used this is really a rare find.

It comes to mind because I have a 38E due to arrive shortly. Just putting my bias right up front. You can view the current versions at the Helmsman website.

Yes I like the 38 sedan a lot. The 38E is nice too but the stairs concern me also a 9 knot boat. I have twins in my Mainship and can cruise at 14 knots at 80% but burn 15 gal per hour. She does not like that speed 9-10 knots is best. Looking to do 18-20 knots.

Let me rephrase looking to do 18-20 knots as an option when 8 knots is not.

Back Cove.

I really like them, but not willing to give up the space for all my creature comforts.

Ted

Let me rephrase looking to do 18-20 knots as an option when 8 knots is not.

FWIW, I’m hoping for a maximum WOT speed of 17-18 knots in my Helmsman 38 Sedan (currently under construction) with the 550 hp Cummins 6.7 in the boat.

The speed requirement sounds like Nordic and Am Tugs

Back
Top Bottom