Pilot house overhead compartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsymagic

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1996 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Being my new boat to me a 1996, it’s had it shares of different electronics added over the years. However, the installers, always leave all the old wiring. I’m now cleaning up and removing and replacing it with current electronics. Unfortunately I’m left with numerous holes at the lower station overhead compartment face (center and starboard).

Has anyone replaced these teak panels? Or resurfaced with teak veneer? Or any other options?
I’m not sure if they can be simply removed and replaced without major carpentry work.

Pix? Veneer over 'dutchman' patches works well. A common trick is to use two hole saws, one slightly larger than the other. Cut the holes cleanly to a known size with the smaller one. Then use the larger one to cut a fresh piece of wood that exactly fits the hole. Glue it in place, sand the surface and apply veneer. My lower helm station had that done to remove old holes, with a fresh piece of black formica (or the like) kind of veneer on top.

A big concern with wood veneers is finding a matching grain AND managing to stain/varnish it in a way that looks right. If it's a relatively 'stand alone' panel then grain might not be as critical.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom