Pitted, rusting fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faith

I had a survey done on a 2008 Mainship 34 Pilot II and the surveyor snapped a photo of a fuel tank with pits and rust on it. How big of a deal is this? He recommended that the buyer remove the 2 Yanmar diesels and find a new fuel tank which would be dificult because Mainship is ourt of business. Other people said it's not that big of a deal and would cost about 4 k for the tank, not sure about the labor (much more $ I'm sure). Surveyor said to me privately, if it was his boat he'd put some type of coating over it and monitor it.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Trying to get a replacement cost mainly. Thank you!

Thanks!
RIMG0036 (1).JPG
RIMG0035 (1) (2).JPG

Looking at the weld in the corner of the pic that sure looks like aluminum. Are you sure it's even steel? Take a magnet to it. Maybe that's just some sort of staining

Looking at the weld in the corner of the pic that sure looks like aluminum. Are you sure it's even steel? Take a magnet to it. Maybe that's just some sort of staining
Good catch! I'm very surprised a 2008 recreational boat built in the USA would have a steel tank.

Ted

I agree, that's likely an aluminum tank. Not sure what the staining is from, but the pitting warrants a close inspection in my eyes.

If I was the seller I would say take it or leave it. If I was the buyer I would monitor. If this bothers some one I would remove the tank wire wheel it and coat it with epoxy.

That said, I am going solely off the pictures posted. In the real world I might see something that leads me to believe things are much worse where I am un able to see. In that case the surveyor might be correct.

Aluminum tanks almost always corrode from the outside in and if caught early enough are easily repaired with an epoxy patch.

If I was the seller I would say take it or leave it. If I was the buyer I would monitor. If this bothers some one I would remove the tank wire wheel it and coat it with epoxy.

That said, I am going solely off the pictures posted. In the real world I might see something that leads me to believe things are much worse where I am un able to see. In that case the surveyor might be correct.

Aluminum tanks almost always corrode from the outside in and if caught early enough are easily repaired with an epoxy patch.
Thank you for your advice, Appreciate it.

I wish my tanks looked that good!.

Sanding wheel, then Tremclad. (White)

That us exactly what I am doing to my steel tanks at this very moment.

That is an aluminum tank. Don’t know exactly what the discoloration is though. As said above check it with a magnet to confirm it. Surprised that the surveyor didn’t know what it was or have a magnet with him/her to verify it.

As to cost it could be about $4K for a new tank. The labor is the big unknown. It could easily be $5 to $6K for labor. Unless you DIY it. Lots of grunt work. But not too technical.

You don’t need Mainship to get a new tank. You would have one custom made to fit. That is the normal procedure. The surveyor should know that.

That is an aluminum tank. Don’t know exactly what the discoloration is though. As said above check it with a magnet to confirm it. Surprised that the surveyor didn’t know what it was or have a magnet with him/her to verify it.

As to cost it could be about $4K for a new tank. The labor is the big unknown. It could easily be $5 to $6K for labor. Unless you DIY it. Lots of grunt work. But not too technical.

You don’t need Mainship to get a new tank. You would have one custom made to fit. That is the normal procedure. The surveyor should know that.
Thank you, lots of helpful info.

I would clean it first and take another pic. There looks like one big scratch vs pitting. Maybe we are looking at scratches along with some form of dirt?

Could the rust be related to steel filings being “flung” onto the tank, from somebody using a grinder (in the past) then external condensation from the fuel tank mixed with vented salt air create the rust, or salt water mist from a leaking shaft packing gland?
Perhaps splatter from a failed exhaust elbow?

Assuming this is an alloy tank.

Maybe it was strapped down with steel straps. Whatever it was it got water under it and started corroding. Keep everything dry and it won't be a problem.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Ms. F. As others have said...Clean it off really well, THEN you might have a better idea of cause, extent of pitting. Since you don't own the boat it may not be possible.

Just looked and guessed: If this is the Mainship 34 Eufloria @129K. Get the seller to fix it or offer $20K less.
Edit:
Also noticed in the Eufloria listing, no ER pictures. Failure if a broker to include at least one picture of the machinery spaces immediately kills any interest I might have in that boat.

I didn’t look at the listing but if there are no engine room photos I always wonder why not? Are they trying to hide something or just a lazy broker???

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Ms. F. As others have said...Clean it off really well, THEN you might have a better idea of cause, extent of pitting. Since you don't own the boat it may not be possible.

Just looked and guessed: If this is the Mainship 34 Eufloria @129K. Get the seller to fix it or offer $20K less.
Edit:
Also noticed in the Eufloria listing, no ER pictures. Failure if a broker to include at least one picture of the machinery spaces immediately kills any interest I might have in that boat.
Au Contraire, we just reduced the Ask by 20k this week, and there's an entire, thorough 18 minute+ video that shows the entire boat including the twin Yammars which are pretty accessible, did you not see that?

IF you decide to paint/coat the tank, check out The Eastwood company. I used their sealer kit on my steel tanks a few years ago. It worked and looked great. You would have to ask them if it would work on aluminum or if they have a kit for aluminum.

Is the condition uniform around the tank or concentrated on the bottom? If it is the result of water or other contaminants sitting in a particular area, I would seriously consider an epoxy coating of that area. While difficult to predict exactly, if it took 15 years to get to that condition on the tank bottom (for instance), then with that area sealed up with epoxy, it would take another 40 years for the condition to cause serious damage to the other areas (assuming no additional care is taken to avoid whatever caused the original pitting).

I had a tank bottom coated and partial epoxy coating of the sides in a steel tank without removing the engine to pull the tank. Cost was $2,000 to hire out the fix. It took one day, including adding 3 inspection ports and the disposal of the goop in the bottom of the tank that cause the leak. Given that the sides, baffles, and top of my 40 year-old tanks were still in great shape, I can figure that the tanks will last at least another 80 years.

It could be a DIY project, especially with an aluminum tank. For steel, a 8" hole saw is over $100, as is each port. Aluminum can be cut with a $50 hole saw, but having it done "professionally" seemed like money well spent. When I called a year later to get the other tank done as a prophylactic measure, he was so busy I haven't been able to get an appointment. Could also be that his price has increased as it does seem to be a bargain.

Attachments

• 100_1505.JPG
    100_1505.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1532.JPG
    100_1532.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom