Please give me a digital survey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

Nice boat.

IMHO, it looks like a very seaworthy hull for coastal cruising, and would handle fairly rough seas for a boat of this size.
With the round bilge hull shape I would expect it would be very rolly with a swell on the beam, although the sail rig would certainly help to stabilise the boat.

Has the look of a Greek fishing boat. Would make for a ‘lively’ ride, but emminently doable with an eye to the weather.

Pretty sure this is a classic Monterey Clipper fishing boat (though the plumb bow has me less than certain). They started showing up as San Francisco's fleet started evolving in the 19th century. They were originally sail powered with big lateen rigs with the mast near the bow. Monterey CA had a large sardine fishing fleet that was well serviced by these boats thus the name. Power displaced sail and these became ubiquitous throughout Northern California's fishing fleet for over a century. They fished for everything from halibut, squid, sardines, to Dungeness crab through the 1950s. I'm sure he's passed now, but as of the early 2000s, the last Chinese descendent at China Camp still fished shrimp with a similar boat.

The design has proven itself in the pacific coast waters. Being wood, most have long ago rotted away. The few that remain have been painstakingly restored, some falling back into disrepair again. It's possible this was a converted one, or perhaps just built on similar lines. But the design appears to be based on a very successful design adapted for the very waters you contemplate. Whether it's a suitable accommodation is a different question

Good luck
Peter

Pretty sure this is a classic Monterey Clipper fishing boat (though the plumb bow has me less than certain). They started showing up as San Francisco's fleet started evolving in the 19th century. They were originally sail powered with big lateen rigs with the mast near the bow. Monterey CA had a large sardine fishing fleet that was well serviced by these boats thus the name. Power displaced sail and these became ubiquitous throughout Northern California's fishing fleet for over a century. They fished for everything from halibut, squid, sardines, to Dungeness crab through the 1950s. I'm sure he's passed now, but as of the early 2000s, the last Chinese descendent at China Camp still fished shrimp with a similar boat.

The design has proven itself in the pacific coast waters. Being wood, most have long ago rotted away. The few that remain have been painstakingly restored, some falling back into disrepair again. It's possible this was a converted one, or perhaps just built on similar lines. But the design appears to be based on a very successful design adapted for the very waters you contemplate. Whether it's a suitable accommodation is a different question

Good luck
Peter

Stunning, and stunningly accurate analysis sir. Yes, the lines were indeed pulled from a Monterey.

Stunning, and stunningly accurate analysis sir. Yes, the lines were indeed pulled from a Monterey.
Thank the SF Maritime Museum. I once owned a Willard 36 Searcher model trawler which has a vague resemblance to the Monterey Clipper. Nestled amongst the Hercules Tug and other boats at the Museum is a decent history of fishing along the central California coast. For those moored in SF Bay, a great day-cruise to dock at South Beach near the ball park, and go to the farmers market, then walk a mile or so further to the SF Maritime Museum at aquatic park.

Interesting obituary of the China Camp guy I mentioned. I once provided a couple hours entertainment for he and some friends. My then girlfriend and I were anchored off China camp. I had built a small nutshell pram as dinghy so we rowed to shore in the morning and spent several hours hiking. We returned and started rowing back to our boat a good half mile off the beach. A 1.5 = 2.0 ebb current was flowing and try as I may, I could only get to about 20-feet of the boat. I was absolutely exhausted (and a bit scared - it was choppy out). So we towed back to the beach landing a long way away due to current. After collapsing for a while to regain my breath, I dragged the pram back up the beach where the fisherman and his friends were sitting. In a friendly tone, he suggested I start further up the beach and let the current assist me. It felt like a moon shot, but it worked.

Very long winded story to say these are classic, quintessential California boats. There is a lot of history in this hull form on the Pacific coastline

https://www.marinij.com/2016/08/19/...hina-camp-shrimpers-in-san-rafael-dies-at-90/

Wow, what an interesting boat. I would say very seaworthy in moderate weather. Any small boat will give the occupants a beating in gale type weather. Coastal cruising, like say to Catalina Island? You Bet. Have Fun, take money.

My boat is 36 feet, around 25,000 pounds. She, like probably 95% of the boats out there will handle weather and waves far worse than the owner ever wants to be out in. I suspect your little craft is in that 95%

My Standard advice:

Go For It,

pete

I'm interested in this boat. I want to use it for cruising channel islands off California and maybe bring her down to Mexico. 29' long x 9.5' beam, 10,000 lbs, solid hull, 30 hp diesel. Runs like a boss. Think she can handle coastal cruising in the Channel Isles and baja? Interested in opinions...thanks in advance.

This hull reminds me of the classic 30’ +/- wooden gillnet boats that supplied the many west coast BC canneries for decades. In the early ‘70’s I owned a 29’ example, built in 1921. It had retired from fishing after 50 years, based first at Porcher Island, and ending her career in a rental fleet owned by the Federal Government. While the principle “cruising” area would have been the inside passage I am sure she spent time on the west coast of Vancouver Island, the Queen Charlotte’s, Dixon Entrance and Cape Caution.

These boats were a lot like the one you are looking at. You may not be comfortable, but the boat should survive anything a prudent recreational use can tolerate, provided it is still structurally sound.

Mine was at the end of its useful life, ribs sistered many times, and planks replaced, some in very short sections, and not structurally in its prime, but her little 4 cyl Jeep engine (probably about 30 hp) took us all over the Queen Charlotte Strait area, safely, if not prudently!

A drawing of a typical west coast gillnet boat, and a troller, with a similar hull. The troller for sure spent time in the open water:

IMG_7227.JPGIMG_7228.jpg

Last edited:
Yes indeed and looks in good shape, planks look fair with no weeping at the garboard. Just get a good qualified wood survey so that you know where you stand.

She sure has some nice lines! :)

Would love to see some interior photos.

Jim

She sure has some nice lines! :)

Would love to see some interior photos.

Jim

Very spartan but efficient. V berth forward with chem head. Wheelhouse all business. Engine very accessible. Could probably remove it in an hour or two. Here are the build pics that convinced me to buy. Composite hull glass (system 3) over Port Orford Cedar. Showed the pics to a yacht designer/boat builder friend and he urged me to grab her.
https://ibb.co/6WkrfPp
https://ibb.co/5sWFZRN
https://ibb.co/TWzV6m0
https://ibb.co/Z2KQy8R
https://ibb.co/0s6S2ZP
https://ibb.co/RSYm8Vw
https://ibb.co/71B7Y7J
https://ibb.co/G5mr3bJ

The double-end design should allow you to handle following seas very well. Since it's a motor-sailor, the sail-up should reduce most of the rolling motion in a beam-to sea. The high bow should take head seas very nicely.

Is it wood? I'm not a fan of wood boats.

The double-end design should allow you to handle following seas very well. Since it's a motor-sailor, the sail-up should reduce most of the rolling motion in a beam-to sea. The high bow should take head seas very nicely.

Is it wood? I'm not a fan of wood boats.

It's technically a composite. Port Orford Cedar covered with glass and System 3. Built in 1996. Bilge is bone dry. Surveyor loved it.

That sail is more for steadying and increasing fuel economy. I could be a take-me-hope option I guess. It'll due 2 knots under sail give or take. Allegedly.

Thank you for sharing the additional pictures with us! :)

Any backstory on the gentleman shown in the photos building the boat?

Jim

What a cool boat! I like it very much. That is one bigger stripper, but strippers are notoriously tough. Two concerns to ask:
1. It looks like particle board on the interior angular forms. Were these just templates that were removed? Or possibly some kind of high tech resin board? Is it not particle at all?

2. I cannot see the deck surface and thus I ask you, if you are swapped wave after wave after wave, will the boat shed the water effectively? Are there any weak points around the deck line or cabin tops that could fail or let significant water in? If it is very water tight and strongly designed for bigger water hits, I would think you could take that boat anywhere with proper ballast.

Really, really, nice looking boat.

If you really want a digital survey and not a digital opinion, you are going to need a boat ton more pictures than what you have. Most in the bilge. Is the mast step well made? Uh, that is three concerns isn't it?

Endurance must be taken into account. Water, fuel, and holding tank capacities. Number of batteries, gen set?

Thank you for sharing the additional pictures with us! :)

Any backstory on the gentleman shown in the photos building the boat?

Jim

Sadly he passed. I purchased the boat from his sons who are also fine gentlemen.

He actually pulled the lines from an original turn of the century Monterey he was smitten by in Ventura Boatyard. I told my boatbuilder friend of this fact and he said that alone was indication of a high level of craftsmanship. The build pictures were further proof.

Anyway the following obit is interesting and shows where she got her name-- I wouldn't dare change it:

"10/12/1921 – 6/15/2018

Lawrence “Lawry” Neil Bailard, Jr., born October 12, 1921, died peacefully in Santa Barbara, surrounded by his family at Serenity House on June 15, 2018. He is survived by his wife Joan Rock Bailard, children Fred Bailard, Mary Foley, Jim Bailard and David Bailard, nephews John Hunziker and Russell Hunziker, his eight grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren and three great-nieces.

An avocado rancher, sailor and local historian, Lawry grew up in Carpinteria on the family ranch where his Bailard ancestors built the original homestead plot, and he continued to cultivate tomatoes, lemons, avocados, cherimoyas and more on the same family land and other Carpinteria acreage for over 70 years.

His childhood was filled with outdoor adventures, hiking and hunting in the Carpinteria backcountry, and exploring and fishing around the Channel Islands on family boat trips. As a young man, he studied business at Stanford University, before enlisting in the Army Air Corps in 1943. His military service took him to Okinawa after training in Wisconsin, where he met his first wife, and mother of his children, Kathryn “Kay” Miller Bailard.

After World War II ended, the young couple returned to the family’s roots in California and Lawry decided to join his father, Neil, farming in Carpinteria. He and Kay set up housekeeping and got to work.

Lawry and Kay started their own family, with Fred born first, closely followed by Mary and Jim, with David arriving a few years later. Lawry expanded the family’s farm operations from tomatoes, lemons and avocados, to include pumpkins, eventually running a very successful u-pick pumpkin stand on Padaro Lane that helped put all four of his children through college. While they were always expected to help out on the farm, Lawry encouraged his children to follow their own paths in life.

While an avocado rancher never really retires because there’s always work to do on the farm, Lawry eventually brought his daughter and son-in-law into the family farm operation, gradually turning his attention fulltime to his true passions: boat building, sailing, travelling and recounting stories from Carpinteria’s early days.

In 1994, he completed the “Kathryn B,” a replica Monterey fishing boat that he built himself, and also made various smaller watercraft and dinghies. All his life, some of his happiest days were spent on the Pacific Ocean, rowing in Santa Barbara Harbor, trolling for fish off Santa Cruz Island, or sailing over to the Channel Islands for weeklong stays in the harbors and coves there. Away from the constant stress of managing a farm, Lawry relaxed and enjoyed his temporary role of ship captain.

Beyond ocean pursuits, Lawry served as a board member of the Carpinteria Fire District and the Johnson Fruit Company and then took time at the end of his life to volunteer for various organizations including the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum and the Carpinteria Valley Historical Museum. His impressive memory, keen intellect and deep knowledge of Carpinteria lore allowed him to act as a living history expert, advising anyone interested in documenting local moments from the past.

Beyond volunteering, he filled his later days with travel to faraway climes, from Africa to Ireland, and Egypt to South America. While he valued this time away, he always felt at home in Carpinteria, back on the ranch, surrounded by his family.

In 1993, after his first wife Kay died, he reconnected with a childhood acquaintance, Joan Rock, whose parents were friends with his parents. The two married, uniting two large clans, and joining members of the Bailard, Hunziker, Rock, Mirov, Goodman-Smith and Kroeber families.

From then on, Lawry constantly surrounded himself with his relatives at home on the ranch, or at the house at Carpinteria beach. Although his travels became confined to Santa Barbara County in his final years, he got to journey vicariously through his family members, who always stopped by to say hello, hear a great anecdote or two and to catch him up on their life beyond the local environs.

A private, family graveside service was held, June 25, at Carpinteria Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Carpinteria Valley Historical Museum."

What a cool boat! I like it very much. That is one bigger stripper, but strippers are notoriously tough. Two concerns to ask:
1. It looks like particle board on the interior angular forms. Were these just templates that were removed? Or possibly some kind of high tech resin board? Is it not particle at all?

2. I cannot see the deck surface and thus I ask you, if you are swapped wave after wave after wave, will the boat shed the water effectively? Are there any weak points around the deck line or cabin tops that could fail or let significant water in? If it is very water tight and strongly designed for bigger water hits, I would think you could take that boat anywhere with proper ballast.

Really, really, nice looking boat.

If you really want a digital survey and not a digital opinion, you are going to need a boat ton more pictures than what you have. Most in the bilge. Is the mast step well made? Uh, that is three concerns isn't it?

1) Does look like particle board. No doubt forms. You can see the is a clamp in the first form to conform the frame presumably and cleat on other forms for probably the same reason. I see no sign of them below the deck now.
2) She extremely dry, the enclosed picture of the aft deck shows some water channeling features. Dunno if that's what you mean. Not aware of any weak points. I'm certain this boat can take more weather than I can. significant keel and it's ballasted. I think the family said 1000 pounds? She weighed 10,000 in the sling at survey. I've been wondering about the mast step, I plan to look closely as I learn more. Looks fine though on cursory examination. I have more pics but I already purchased her from the family.

https://ibb.co/S65gbzT

Last edited:
Endurance must be taken into account. Water, fuel, and holding tank capacities. Number of batteries, gen set?

only 50 gallons of dsl and 50 of water. She was made for the Channel islands. 28 hp volvo dsl burns about a liter per hour at 7 knots. Less if sail is up. Holding tank is small. 5 gallons or so.

No genset. In fact not even wired for shorepower. I will keep her that way. Solar cells keep her two batteries charged. She was built for simplicity. sinks and head run off hand pumps. Even the windlass is manual. That's one thing I will change. I have an Ideal to put in there. I will likely harass all of you for advice when I undertake that project. You've been warned.

Last edited:
What a gorgeous looking boat!! And unlike some others on this blog - I like wooden boats. Mr Bailard did a magnificent job in crafting this and I trust that you will fill the role of caretaker (something we wooden boat owners understand) equally well. To answer your question, yes, she is perfect for cruising the "islands of the Eastern Pacific", So enjoy and post lots of photos.

Congratulations Brian. nice boat.
I am wondering how the rules work currently regarding slip rentals in SB harbor. A buddy of mine from SF bought a condo in SB and bought a J32 sailboat, then had to buy a boat with a slip and do a lot of convolutions to get a slip.
Fortunately he is a corporate attorney who loves convoltutions (but usually at his billing rate).

a Monterey

:thumb:This boat appears to be a Monterey trawler. They have operated as California coastal commercial trawlers for over a hundred years. They are very sea-worthy by design, but usually a bit rolly. They fave full keels and large rudders giving them the ability to be controlled in big seas. The low profile an lowish windage also helps.
-Pete

Brian,

Congrats on your purchase. I love your boat, and I mean literally. I have walked past it many times over the last 20+ years and always turn an admiring eye. My buddies and I have spent a lot of time at Santa Cruz Island and beyond over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to take this boat and look forward to seeing you out there.

David

PS -- Were you at the helm in the photos? I think I probably know you from the harbor....

Hi Brian, Sounds like a good boat as SB channel can get quite treacherous.
You might also consider radar if considering night or foggy condition crossings.
Large fast ships come up fast while fog and your engine noise can muffle the sounds and direction of approaching ships until to late to avoid. In previous threads you seemed to have navigation system figured out. You expressed an interest in an autopilot system. I have a nearly complete system for sale including 32"wheel, pedestal, under pedestal 12 v. motor to bronze cable drive system, all pulleys,and bronze quadrant for same. If you're interested you can private msg, me for more info. I also have a Lofrans Tigress 12 volt winch for sale if you didn't get your aforementioned windlass working.
I also enjoyed the info on the previous owner as I'm from the same area so much of the info and names are familiar to me. Good luck and have fun with your project. Potbellypirate.

Congratulations Brian. nice boat.
I am wondering how the rules work currently regarding slip rentals in SB harbor. A buddy of mine from SF bought a condo in SB and bought a J32 sailboat, then had to buy a boat with a slip and do a lot of convolutions to get a slip.
Fortunately he is a corporate attorney who loves convoltutions (but usually at his billing rate).

two ways I know of 1) go on the city waiting list. Takes decades. 2) more commonly you buy the leasing rights to a slip from a priv party. A 28' slip might cost around 30k-- depending on how badly the seller needs money or the buyer wants the slip. You won't own the slip, break the rules to often and the city will take the slip from you. Infraction like not paying rent, turning your boat into an Airbnb, or running a floating meth lab can lead to that. The slips hold their value generally and appreciate over time. And current fees are low relatively, a 30' boat is about $300/month. But there's a GOTHCA. City charges a...gulp...$12,000 transfer fee on a typical slip. Oh does that hurt. Some folks sell the boat with the slip rights. Others not.

What a gorgeous looking boat!! And unlike some others on this blog - I like wooden boats. Mr Bailard did a magnificent job in crafting this and I trust that you will fill the role of caretaker (something we wooden boat owners understand) equally well. To answer your question, yes, she is perfect for cruising the "islands of the Eastern Pacific", So enjoy and post lots of photos.

Thank you. And yes, I get the legacy Kathryn B carries and hope I am up to the challenge. The Bailards are a classy family and their roots in Santa Barbara go back many generations and indeed the family represents the best side of this community.

I've owned wooden boats before and appreciate them. Though Kathryn B is technically a composite-- Glass and System 3 over Port Orford Cedar.

Brian,

Congrats on your purchase. I love your boat, and I mean literally. I have walked past it many times over the last 20+ years and always turn an admiring eye. My buddies and I have spent a lot of time at Santa Cruz Island and beyond over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to take this boat and look forward to seeing you out there.

David

PS -- Were you at the helm in the photos? I think I probably know you from the harbor....

It's not me, I haven't taken her out yet. I've been out of boats for a long time and need to get a good boater to get me up to speed on handling/docking etc. The slip luckily pretty have training wheels on it. Steel need some tutoring though.

:thumb:This boat appears to be a Monterey trawler. They have operated as California coastal commercial trawlers for over a hundred years. They are very sea-worthy by design, but usually a bit rolly. They fave full keels and large rudders giving them the ability to be controlled in big seas. The low profile an lowish windage also helps.
-Pete
Thanks Pete. The builder and original owner, Lawry Bailard, fell in love with a turn of the century Monterey named the Buffalo he ran across in the Ventura shipyard. He was inspired enough to pull her lines and enter them into autocad. She was launched in 1996. A labor of love.

She is built solid. A few looked at her aforementioned lowish profile and commented she was a harbor cruiser only. However your assessment makes more sense and that the low profile is a big sea feature, not a bug.

There is an open-deck version on display in Pittsburg, CA.

Back
Top Bottom