Port light seal is leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Connie

Our chb 34 has a few leaks on the bow port lights. Appears the seal has hardened. Can the old seal be removed and new installed. The trawler is for sale and repairment hard to come by this season so we'd like to repair it ourselves.

Many times, yes. Sometimes, no.

What brand of portlight is it? Do you know the model?

Can you post pictures of it and the seal? Manyntimes there are generic seals that will work.

Welcome aboard. Some ports from that vintage are no longer available. The gasket may be available through. As said above post some good photos of the port and the gasket. Directions on posting photos are in the How to Use the Forum section on the home page.

If you cannot find an official gasket, you may have to carefully remove the port and cut your own gasket then re-bed the port.
I have yet to see a port hole that has the manufacturer or model number stamped on it. Admittedly I have not look very hard.

We had a boat that had PYHI ports in it. PYHI was molded into the port. However they have gone out of business so no support for them.

Atlantic Gasket Corp can make any size in any dimensions, in any material you want. They are totally awesome and my go to for years. They will even cut irregular shapes if you give them a template.

https://www.atlanticgasket.com/

Last edited:
I was just poking about and realized Marine How two is offering again the Butyl Bed It Tape.
Terrific butyl tape. Would more than suffice for the gaskets for your port lights.
It will require some detailing to seal all the potential leaks but when done properly you will be leaks free for MANY years.
I have been using it for about 7-8+ years before Rod was laid up.
His site is also terrific for info about electrical systems, batteries, seal tape and the prep needed for a successful installation.
Look his sight up at the following link.

Marine How To

https://marinehowto.com/

Well, I have a port light with a mfr on it, Gray Mfg. Hooray for me, now where do I get an outside surround?

I believe that line, once from Grey Enterprises, is still active and sold under both the Bomar and Pompanette brands.

Bomar and Grey, each once independent, were each bought by, and are nominal divisions within, Pompanette.

I think the Grey has mostly been absorbed as a line under the Bomar catalog.

I'd get really good measurements and pictures and email bomar@pompanette.com or call 603.826.5791.

Well, I have a port light with a mfr on it, Gray Mfg. Hooray for me, now where do I get an outside surround?

On a previous boat it had plastic bezels on them and they were cracked and very worn. Couldn’t find any replacements. Finally had a metal guy make new bezels out of S/S. He polished them and they looked fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom