Port side front window replacement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noiseboyuk

Hi all,
We have a GB 42CL from 2005.
The port side front window (above the galley) has ‘fogged up’ at the bottom.
I assume it’s moisture getting into the laminated glass so, unless anyone knows a cure, I guess we need to replace the glass.
I have seen some instructions online which indicate that the external window frame/trim must be removed but there is no indication of screw holes.
However, examining the frames, it looks like the inside trim has screw holes (teak capped as usual).
So, I’m now confused, has anyone got any words of wisdom for replacing windows on a 2005 vessel.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi all,
I assume it’s moisture getting into the laminated glass so, unless anyone knows a cure, I guess we need to replace the glass.
I have seen some instructions online which indicate that the external window frame/trim must be removed but there is no indication of screw holes.
However, examining the frames, it looks like the inside trim has screw holes (teak capped as usual).
So, I’m now confused, has anyone got any words of wisdom for replacing windows on a 2005 vessel.

Having replaced lots of boat windows (yours may differ) I know this: The "fogging" of safety glass (laminated) is the seal of the two layers, separated by a membrane of thin plastic, failing. There is no corrective action, other than a full replacement.
When you have the glass out, ensure that the frame does not promote water intruding along the edge of the glass.
Impossible to know how yours are held in place without pictures.

Having replaced lots of boat windows

Sorry for high jacking this thread, but... I am planning to refit all of the windows on my '76 36 classic this summer and am looking for lessons learned so I don't have to reinvent the wheel per say.

Hi all,

Welcome aboard.

I recently had to replace the left front windshield on my 1990 GB 32, which had developed a bad crack. It sounds like the construction is the same as your 2005. The glass came out from the inside. The teak framework (yes, with screws hidden under teak plugs) had to come out and then the rubber gaskets removed. Glass came out easily and was sent to the glass shop for use as a template for the new laminated glass. When we installed the new glass it seemed better to use caulk rather than the old rubber gasket. Hardest part was refinishing the teak to try and hide the new plugs! After a year no leaks so I'm happy.
Good luck!
Oldersalt

Hi all,

Your issue comes from the outside when raining. Rainwater and humidity make their way between the glass and the external frame of the windows, caused by seal failure. Then the stagnant humidity alters the membrane of thin plastic between the two layers of glass at the bottom of the window, this cause condensation between the 2 layers of glass.
Also rainwater and humidity may course down invisibly inside the structure of the door which may lead to great moisture problems as it happened on the 2003 GB 42' Classic's port door of a friend of mine.
No other choice than a full remplacement of the glass and to waterproof the external frame of the window.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom