Prince Rupert to Ketchikan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friz

Vessel Name
Chez Reagan
Vessel Make
Cargile Cutter
Bit of a hair brain scheme but time is running out on this side of the grass. Distance is 117 miles. Prince Rupert appears to be the furthest point north to which you can drive. I have a 28' trailer trawler. Range about 400 miles. What is the feasibility of crossing from Prince Rupert in my boat? I cruise at 10 - 15 mph. Would like to spend a month cruising there. I have never been there and understand it is worth the trip.

You’d be crossing Dixon Entrance which is about a 40 mile stretch of open ocean. If you hit it on a good day I think it would be doable but you’d need to watch the weather forecast and wait it out if needed. There is a lot of information available online about the crossing.

For what it’s worth Prince Rupert isn’t the farthest north you can drive, you could drive on to Skagway and launch from there, though that would probably be another 2 days driving, or one very long day. From Skagway you have about an 80 mile run down Lynn Canal to Juneau which is not open ocean but can be windy and rough without any good places for shelter.

Bit of a hair brain scheme but time is running out on this side of the grass. Distance is 117 miles. Prince Rupert appears to be the furthest point north to which you can drive. I have a 28' trailer trawler. Range about 400 miles. What is the feasibility of crossing from Prince Rupert in my boat? I cruise at 10 - 15 mph. Would like to spend a month cruising there. I have never been there and understand it is worth the trip.
You can put in here. and save a long open water crossing. https://backcountrycanadatravel.com...hern-bc/stewart-bc-hyder-alaska-travel-guide/

Very possible as long as you pick your weather. You will be a bit more constrained than a larger boat.

I don't think the distance is that long, at least not if you take the Venn Passage north of Digby island. It's well marked and I've been through it many times in a 60+ foot deep draft boat. My plotter route is 71nm from the end of Venn Passage to Ketchikan. Venn passage is perhaps 5nm?

Another option is that I know a lot of people who call customs and request permission to stop overnight at Foggy Bay, then proceed to Ketchikan the next day. I've never done it, and think with your cruise speed the run shouldn't be too bad.

I don't know where you have been boating, but one thing to consider in that area is that anchoring can be in pretty deep water, so you will need a long anchor rode. I think 300' would be the minimum, with 400' or more preferable.

Heading N, you can wait for smooth seas to across Dixon E. at Dundas Island. Going S you are not allowed the same because Dundas is in Canada and you cannot anchor before you go through CA customs in Rupert. VHF is spotty, so if you have an InReach, you can get good weather reports relayed to you.

With calm weather sure it can be done. Watch the reported swell from the ocean buoys, either a high swell or rising wind will make it uncomfortable. As TT says the Venn passage NW out of PR is easily run in that size boat and not at all scary.

You can call Ketchikan customs from Prince Rupert for permission to stop in Foggy bay (which is a lovely anchorage) and cut the trip in half, however with the customs app on your phone you can check in if you can get cell coverage, they may finish it up on the phone and then you can go wherever you like. I've done both. I got Ketchikan cell coverage a bit north of Foggy Bay, that allows you to go into the Misty Fjords without having to backtrack from Ketchikan.

Ditto the above comments that it's doable, just pay close attention to the weather. Even before crossing the boundary into AK, if the sea state above Dundas Island looks bad, you can pull into Brundidge Inlet at the top of Dundas and wait in a bomb-proof anchorage. The salmon fishing around there is good too.

Assuming your boat is well found and equipped with necessary electronics, the trip is a piece of cake. We've seen many Ranger Tugs do it as well as many 26 foot or so outboards. As mentioned by others be advised as to weather and also avoid the peak of the Dixon Entrance ebb.

Personally, I'd suggest waiting for the right weather window in Prince Rupert. It is a lovely place with great shopping and lots to see and do there. At ten knots "net" you'll have a quick trip. The bigger issue is Ketchikan to PR. You'll need a 72 hour Covid test and then to balance the right weather in that period to cross Dixon entrance going south.

Interestingly, many large vessels pull their 22 to 26 foot fishing boats behind them in really snotty weather across Dixon Entrance.

We've crossed the Dixon many times since 1996, first in a C-Dory 22, then a 26-footer, and the last few years a 37 Nordic Tug. It's all about weather conditions. Here's my writeup:

Crossing the Dixon Entrance between Prince Rupert and Ketchikan

We leave as soon as it's light enough to see wood on the water, and go slow at least until it's fully light. We go through Venn Passage coming out of PR - saves a lot of time, but we do need to follow the safe route carefully, especially as we round Tugwell Island heading out into Chatham Sound.

If conditions permit, we head from Venn diagonally across Chatham Sound toward Green Island, near the NE corner of Dundas Island, then across the open water to Tree Point, then sometimes to Foggy Bay for the night. If Revillagigedo Channel looks OK and I'm not too tired, we might skip Foggy Bay and head from Tree Point through Danger Passage (south of Mary Island), then between Ham and Walker islands, and on into Ketchikan. This is the shortest route, about 83 NM.

If non-trivial wind is from W or NW, we might cross Chatham Sound more quickly, come up along the east side of Dundas Island, and anchor in Brundige Inlet before crossing the most open water. If wind is from the Southeast and looks like it might be strong enough to bounce us a bit too much out in the middle of Chatham Sound, we stay along the east side of Chatham Sound, and cross the mouth of Portland Inlet. This is a longer route, but sometimes useful to protect from SE wind. There are a few places to anchor after crossing Portland Inlet, before we round Cape Fox and head up Revillagigedo Channel. Pond Bay on Duke Island is another useful anchorage, on the W side of Revillagigedo.

Here's how we analyze it, and decide if we're going to go. Tidal current direction vs wind direction is key.

First, the forecast should be 15 knots or less, for at least most of the duration between Prince Rupert and Ketchikan.

Second, conditions as reported at the Central Dixon Entrance buoy (Canadian WX, but also reported on US WX in Ketchikan), should be winds no more than 15 knots, seas no more than one meter.

Third, if winds are enough to pay attention to (like more than 10-12 knots), wind and tidal current directions should not be opposed when crossing the most open water, like in Chatham Sound heading up from PR, between Dundas Island and Cape Fox, or in Revillagigedo Channel up to about Mary Island. Depending on conditions, anywhere in these three areas could be challenging - wind vs current as the tide flows in and out can make seas twice as tall and much more vertical than they would be otherwise.

Sounds a little complicated, but if you're willing to wait a day or three you can usually find conditions that meet most of these criteria. On 2-3 occasions, always on the way back south, we've had to wait 5 or even 7 days . Depends somewhat on your tolerance for bouncing around. Most other places in SE AK are not as complicated to figure.

In 2017 for the first time I started using windy.com and predictwind.com. They give far more granular detailed forecasts than NOAA and Environment Canada, in more specific locations and in timing. Crossing the Dixon is a particularly good situation for them.

Last edited:
No problem if you pick your weather, and you shouldn't have to wait too long (a few days) in the summer. I like looking at the ECMWF wind gust model on Windy.com, which generally is a pretty good "worst case" in my experience. If you're comfortable with the forecast, and the weather reporting sites (particularly Grey Islet and Green Island) are at least as good as the forecast, go!

I've done the trip on a C-Dory 22 and it was fine, even when we should have waited for a better day.

Here's a blog post from my first trip across in the C-Dory: Safe Harbour: Day 11-Prince Rupert to Ketchikan

Last edited:
Shipmates, I would like to respond to all of you. Overtime. Thank you for the terrific responses. I will be breaking out the charts and ask questions accordingly. I am flabbergasted at the 100% helpful in depth responses. As an east coast sailor, I never understood or appreciated what I now see as the beautiful resource you have over there. An eye opener.

Last edited:
Everyone else has done a pretty good job, but let me summarize my experience: It is a binary decision: days you won't go and days it will be easy. In each of my three passages, I've laid out all the shelter options elaborated above and found it easy cruising uninterrupted to the destination. I have spent a night in Foggy Bay for customs reasons and found it enjoyable, but not out of necessity.

The thing they haven't shared is that laying-over for a couple days...or more in Prince Rupert is an appealing option. The port is first-rate; harbor master and his assistants are welcoming, the town is pleasant, with groceries, marine hardware and a good museum within a couple blocks; good dockside pub, and latte and a pastry across the street at "Cowpuccino" every morning.

Last edited:
As stated above "Weather" is the main concern. I use Windy, NOAA and Environmental Canada. Remember, if its nasty, don't go. The Admiral also has "veto/Go-No Go" power. She don't like it, we don't go.

a cell tower has been added on the Green Island Lighthouse and Duke Island. Almost full coverage all the way cross Dixon Entrance.

Most of the time we have had smooth crossings. One time we did not. 40kt winds from the west and 7ft rollers from the SW. The crossing sucked.

Weather Weather Weather..........

As an east coast sailor, I never understood or appreciated what I now see as the beautiful resource you have over there. An eye opener.

You will find it reminiscent of Maine, while being 20x the size and with a small fraction of the crowd. And perhaps a little more rain :). Also Cadillac Mt., which on the east coast passes for the highest peak there, is but a small hillock out west.

Not sure about your bigger cruising plan but if you have the time start in Washington state or Vancouver, BC. There is some great cruising south of Prince Rupert.

Venn Passage

Another thing to be aware of. Venn Passage is pretty simple as long as you watch your chart and the buoys but first thing in the morning it is a mass of sport fishing boats heading out at full speed. Not too bad in clear weather but in the fog they still travel the channel at full speed and it is narrow and many don't have/ aren't watching their radar.
We got started into Venn Passage in thick fog a few years back and after the third Grady White passed us at 10 ft away and full speed, we turned back and went the long way round. It made for a longer day but we were stopping at Brundige anyway.

We anchored east of Cape Fox behind Tongas Is.

Was great fun as we hiked all over the island. Undergrowth was light. Found remains of an old fish town and Indian village.

The anchorage was fairly small but needing to share would be a remote occurrence. One could think of anchoring bow and stern in mild weather.

One could go east to Nakat Is. Willard Inlet, Fillmore Is. and Fillmore Inlet.
I think Winter Inlet would be a bomb proof anchorage. Just looking at charts.
Tidal currents in places.

Last edited:
If you stop in Brundige Inlet (on Dundas Is.) in the summer be prepared for really bad "no-see-um"s. Anchor as far from shore as possible and close the cabin door and windows if the bugs are out.

I have made that trip about ten times in our Willard 30, a 6 knot boat. We always stop in Foggy Bay coming and going. It is the inner anchorage you want in Foggy Bay, not outside where the commercial fishing boats moor.

Lots of great input. In terms of trip permutations , another possibility would be to launch at Gingolx, aka Kincolith.

You would miss out on the Prince Rupert Harbour experience (Lattes and deserts at Cowpuchinos ��), but you would drive through the scenic Nass Valley, and through lava fields.

But don’t let me dissuade from you from your plan, looks like you’re planning an excellent adventure. And as previously mentioned, south of Prince Rupert has great cruising too.

If you haul your boat this far (my boat spends summers in Port Edward), consider giving yourself all the time you can to experience the many wonders of Pacific Northwest cruising

As all have stated, you should have a great experience in the right weather. I made the trek from WA to Ketchikan uneventfully in a 21’ Stabicraft. Crossing Dixon Entrance was as tolerable as could be expected in a light boat at high speed, you should be much more comfortable. One thing that surprised me was the lack of boat traffic in this large expanse … I don’t recall seeing another craft, so we really were on our own.

Resource for crossing

The "Go To" book for cruising up here is Exploring Southeast Alaska , Dixon Entrance to Skagway by Don Douglass & Reanne Hemingway-Douglass.

513DHvaczlL._AC_SX60_CR,0,0,60,60_.jpg
Available at Amazon or other places. Check with the hotels in Prince Rupert for storage of your trailer and vehicle. Also if you wanted to start cruising from Ketchikan or somewhere farther north, consider driving your vehicle and trailer on to the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. It will start running this Spring from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersberg and Juneau. Can be a little pricey but it is an option.

Stop in at the Ketchikan Yacht Club KYC, (Thomas Basin Marina). In the summer there is a hamburger social on Friday night. Also, the KYC has transient moorage along with access to the club house, showers and laundry facilities.

Back
Top Bottom