Products or Tips that you are particularly proud of 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A tip I use frequently is to take some powerful rare earth magnets to find locations on the other side of bulkheads or the hull. Tape one on the side where you want to drill the hole then go to the other side and let the second magnet find the first one. Works great and you don’t need a tape measure to find the spot to drill. And there isn’t any chance of miss measuring.

Not to shabby for a Michigander. Like it.

Sorry Firefly. Do not have the motivation. What is "HF" and why should I not be using it as a BBQ sauce or rust remover? I thought the bottle was BBQ sauce.

Our friend Rufus T Firefly is correct that it is hydrofluoric acid. Hf acid can be dangerous but this is very dilute. You should wear rubber gloves when using it. I’ve used it for years and never had a problem. It can’t be that dangerous if they sell it in grocery stores.

There is a stronger version called Erusticator but it is hard to find. It is mostly sold to commercial laundries.

Our friend Rufus T Firefly is correct that it is hydrofluoric acid. Hf acid can be dangerous but this is very dilute. You should wear rubber gloves when using it. I’ve used it for years and never had a problem. It can’t be that dangerous if they sell it in grocery stores.

There is a stronger version called Erusticator but it is hard to find. It is mostly sold to commercial laundries.

Thanks.

Lot of good stuff in this thread.
One of my favorite products isn’t made for marine use, it is sold for removing rust from fabric. You can find it in the laundry aisle at the grocery store. It’s called Whink and it’s great for removing rust stains from gel coat or stainless. It works much better than oxalic acid or phosphoric acid based rust removers.

:thumb:

Woolite Instant Pet Stain Remover with Oxyclean . On our new to us boat there was a big yellow stain on the light colored carpet. A professional steaming of the carpet accomplished nothing. With little hope of success I sprayed it with the aforementioned product. In minutes the stain was gone. No blotting or rubbing, just let it sit there. Now we use it wherever we find a stain on any fabric.

A tip I use frequently is to take some powerful rare earth magnets to find locations on the other side of bulkheads or the hull. Tape one on the side where you want to drill the hole then go to the other side and let the second magnet find the first one. Works great and you don’t need a tape measure to find the spot to drill. And there isn’t any chance of miss measuring.

Great Idea!

I was musing in the post Christmas dinner fug about all the knowledge that our members have acquired and put to use over the years. If y'all have the patience to share I would propose that we list our favorite (maximum of 5) boating tips or tools or products or tricks that work so well that we want to share them,

I'll start:

1. Schedule 40 plastic water pipe. Cheap, available in a multitude of diameters. Can be easily cut, drilled and glued. Makes rod holders; Tool holders; an easily stowable frame to keep my dinghy cover 'tented' to avoid water puddles; conduit for cable runs and many more uses.

2. Emergency battery. I have several and keep one in the boat and one in each vehicle. At 1,200 amps it will start a genset or a tender motor, it might start a smaller main engine; contains a built-in air pump for inflating the tender or fenders; also a very bright LED light. Plug it in to charge once a month and it will last for years. Mine is branded Caterpillar, sold through Costco at $110. https://www.costco.com/cat-1200-peak-amp-digital-jump-starter.product.100799044.html

3. McLube Sail Kote. This dry lubricant contains no silicone or teflon. It lasts longer than either and leaves no residue or stickiness whatsoever. When you first spray it you will think you have been conned as it leaves no trace. It will lubricate anything that slides (door tracks, window tracks, exposed throttle cables, drawer glides). Primary use is to lubricate mainsail tracks/slides.

4. Laminator. Any time I identify a previously unknown circuit, modify the electrical system, pumps, pipes etc. I will make a diagram with an explanation of what was modified, or instructions on valves to turn etc. file it in my boat file and laminate a copy and secure it to the item at issue. You can buy multiple sizes of laminating sheets, from Luggage Label size which are perfect for identifying wires/pipes etc as they come with slots and nylon loops for securing them to suitcases, to full size A4. Buy online for best prices.

5. Two tools A heat gun for sealing Ancor Heat Shrink wire connectors and a rope cutter hot knife. The latter can also be used with slight modification to cut and seal Sunbrella to avoid loose threads.

~A
Sawzall. Having one aboard has been a godsend a number of times!

Lot of good stuff in this thread.

One of my favorite products isn’t made for marine use, it is sold for removing rust from fabric. You can find it in the laundry aisle at the grocery store. It’s called Whink and it’s great for removing rust stains from gel coat or stainless. It works much better than oxalic acid or phosphoric acid based rust removers.
Be careful using this product. The active ingredient is hydrochloric acid which is hydrogen fluoride in an aqueous solution. Hydrogen fluoride is highly toxic.

Background

Hydrofluoric (HF) acid, one of the strongest inorganic acids, is used mainly for industrial purposes (eg, glass etching, metal cleaning, electronics manufacturing). Hydrofluoric acid also may be found in home rust removers. Exposure usually is unintentional and often is due to inadequate use of protective measures.
Hydrofluoric acid burns are a unique clinical entity. Dilute solutions deeply penetrate before dissociating, thus causing delayed injury and symptoms. Burns to the fingers and nail beds may leave the overlying nails intact, and pain may be severe with little surface abnormality.

Not exactly a part or tip but here is a resource that has proven helpful to several Mainship owners and it doesn't hurt to spread the word.

I have posted info & links that allow late model year MS 34T/HT owners to access a searchable Bill of Materials (BOM) and then access photos of the part with the original source info.
With the help of another TFer Dave Anderer, I was able to add part photos & source info for other MS models as well as many Luhrs & Hunter parts. Unfortunately I did not have the BOM files for these so users need to scan through the thumbnails to find something that looks similar and then open the photo file... a bit tedious but sometimes worth it when stumped with finding part info & a source.

There is a "Sticky" at the top of the Marlow-Mainship section for anyone interested.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...-bill-materials-part-info-other-ms-36488.html

Others have contributed more recent part info & sources that I have added to the sticky - If anyone has a useful add just PM me and I can continue to expand this resource

My indispensible gadget is a WIRE TRACKER. Find where those wires go!

A small tone generator puts a radio signal on the wire. The "receiver" makes a squealing noise when it is close to the wire. It can detect the wire behind liners, etc. In a bundle of wires you touch the "nose" of the receiver to the insulation of each wire and easily identify the wire in question by the louder squeal.

There are varying qualities of these available. The one in the photo has worked well for me. I had another type which failed very quickly.

Attachments

• Wire tracker.JPG
    Wire tracker.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 307

A small tone generator puts a radio signal on the wire. The "receiver" makes a squealing noise when it is close to the wire. It can detect the wire behind liners, etc. In a bundle of wires you touch the "nose" of the receiver to the insulation of each wire and easily identify the wire in question by the louder squeal.

There are varying qualities of these available. The one in the photo has worked well for me. I had another type which failed very quickly.

Gee, thanks Nick,:nonono: you just cost me some money!:D

Value your time at $5/hour and you will be ahead on the first use !
(and thanking me)

My indispensible gadget is a WIRE TRACKER. Find where those wires go!.

Fun story, couldn't find the anchor windlass fuse after hours trying to track down the wiring. Had my sweaty hand resting against a panel and absent-mindedly clicked on the probe button and HEARD THE TONE. Turned out the fuse was buried BEHIND the panel where I had my hand resting.

Tone probes are definitely a must-have in any wiring troubleshooting tool bag.

A wifi inspection camera (aka borescope, endoscope) has also proved remarkably useful onboard. Helped extract a bolt that had fallen under a grate in the lazarette that would have taken a LOT of added effort to remove. Long pliers and the camera helped retrieve it. Likewise finding lost spring clips from ceiling lights, seeing where wiring goes inside places too tight to reach, etc.

Not typical tools you'd need regularly, but darned handy when faced with a problem that might take a lot more time/effort/money to resolve otherwise.

LED headlamps. I have the ones that have an adjustable lens, 3 different brightness settings and can be tilted. Also has red light for use at night.

I once had a teeny leak in my high pressure fuel line on one of my mains. I couldn't find it. I had a friend who is chief engineer on one of the Alaska ferries take a look and he couldn't find it. I next happened to be inspecting it with my headlamp on and the engine running when I noticed a super fine mist in the air and was able to locate the leak. It was caused by the head of a hose clamp abrading the steel high pressure line over many decades. The mist was invisible without the intense light of the headlamp.

Tator

Value your time at $5/hour and you will be ahead on the first use !
(and thanking me)

I already OWN one, unfortunately it's in Kentucky at our shop, along with all the other stuff that I should have brought when we came out to the PNW and the boat . . . I HATE buying stuff I already own, but is in the wrong place . . .

LED headlamps. I have the ones that have an adjustable lens, 3 different brightness settings and can be tilted. Also has red light for use at night.

I once had a teeny leak in my high pressure fuel line on one of my mains. I couldn't find it. I had a friend who is chief engineer on one of the Alaska ferries take a look and he couldn't find it. I next happened to be inspecting it with my headlamp on and the engine running when I noticed a super fine mist in the air and was able to locate the leak. It was caused by the head of a hose clamp abrading the steel high pressure line over many decades. The mist was invisible without the intense light of the headlamp.

Tator
Best way to inspect an engine for any kind of leak, a dark engine room and a bright flashlight.

First to NickF on the wiring tracker, YES!!! I've needed something like that for years! For some reason I thought those things only worked on telecom lines (probably because I've seen phone techs use them). For crying out loud, finally! Ordering one now.

And then on the LED headlamps -- couldn't live without 'em. My wife jokes I should just get one installed in my forehead permanently. Went to bed one night with the light still on my head (although yes, turned off). Lately though I use a baseball cap and a little Olight Baton USB-magnetic-charged flashlight clipped to the bill. They're so bright it can be seen from the far side of Pluto (1200 lumens in max mode). Not cheap though, like 69.95, the Cadillac of little bitty flashlights.

Best way to inspect an engine for any kind of leak, a dark engine room and a bright flashlight.

Another suggestion would be to paint your engine white. It is amazing how easy to spot leaks are when on white. I was able to spot a coolant ooze because it stood out against the white.

I already OWN one, unfortunately it's in Kentucky at our shop, along with all the other stuff that I should have brought when we came out to the PNW and the boat . . . I HATE buying stuff I already own, but is in the wrong place . . .

i actually don't mind having duplicates of tools. or triples, sometimes four or more. i do hate not having a tool at my disposal where i'm currently doing a task.

I just bought and installed a great Christmas present for my wife. She's generally in charge of putting out fenders when docking. I bought 8 of the Taylor Made 1099 fender hangers. They attach near the base of a stanchion and appear to work great. Deployment and adjustments are quick and simple. Four fenders in 30 seconds is possible. She loves them.

Guess what the Admiral got for Christmas…!

Some cleaning products:
Spray Nine: Very effective as a general cleaner, was the only one able to remove some brown stuff that was spayed on my deck (unknown).
WD40 Degreaser: Very effective to clean nasty stuff, use it to cleanup urethane caulking mess when I did re-bed some windows.
Evaporust: Very effective at removing rust without damaging metal. Reusable many times.
Autosol: Very good if you need to polish anything shiny.

L

Some cleaning products:
Spray Nine: Very effective as a general cleaner, was the only one able to remove some brown stuff that was spayed on my deck (unknown).
WD40 Degreaser: Very effective to clean nasty stuff, use it to cleanup urethane caulking mess when I did re-bed some windows.
Evaporust: Very effective at removing rust without damaging metal. Reusable many times.
Autosol: Very good if you need to polish anything shiny.

L

Schaeffer’s Citrol as cleaner, degreaser, decal goo remover….

Penetro 90 as lube and corrosion buster

That’s handy - I’ll store that in the memory bank.

They called "fox and hound".

Back
Top Bottom