prop speed coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zinc galvanizing compound spray paint

You can get it from Home Depot spray paint area $7 a can it last 3 years on my NP43 no special procedure to apply I live in PNW Cold Zinc galvanizing compound
Gray in color I use 2 can my single prop and shaft easy to use

What type of boat are you using it on? It has worked great for me also.

This is what I have been very happy with on my 6 knt sailboat. I wonder how it would hold up on my new 17 knt powerboat?

It's a 24-25 knot top speed boat that I typically cruise at 8.5 knots and occasionally run at 19 knots to heat up the engines.

We have this product at the big hardware in Oz
98.5% Zinc which is a higher % than the rustoleum
Have a few tins onboard, Very tempted to give it a go when next out as I have been diving and scraping for the last 12 mths.
https://www.dymark.com.au/products/39054014

Propspeed is expensive, if there was a low cost alternative that didn`t require considerable expertise to apply correctly, it would be attractive.
Neither the product Simi points to, or Galvafroid, a known cold galvanizing coating, list antifouling as an application. It would be more persuasive if they did.

We have this product at the big hardware in Oz
98.5% Zinc which is a higher % than the rustoleum
Have a few tins onboard, Very tempted to give it a go when next out as I have been diving and scraping for the last 12 mths.
https://www.dymark.com.au/products/39054014

While awaiting your haul out, get some lanoline to smear on the running gear. I used to do it on my trawler using a rag with a handful of the greasy stuff, and it definitely saved on the bio-fouling and reduced my time underwater.

They quoted $500.00 to do the prop and rudder which includes the clean and prep. My only concern is the minimum application temp is 50 degrees and in seattle this time of year that can be a little hard to hit consistently .

While awaiting your haul out, get some lanoline to smear on the running gear. I used to do it on my trawler using a rag with a handful of the greasy stuff, and it definitely saved on the bio-fouling and reduced my time underwater.

If by running gear you mean shaft sticking out, we have none.

I did a test with lanolin on a section of our aluminium tender and I think the barnies liked the taste.

Seeing how Simi is being a jerk, can someone tell me what the prop speed it without a stupid answer? Thx

Prop Speed belongs to a generic category of coatings that exhibit a physical characteristic know as Low Surface Energy or Low Interfacial Energy. In extremely general terms, the “energy” of a surface determines the strength of a bond that can develop between the surface (substrate) and subsequent materials applied to or deposited on that surface. Again, in very general terms, imagine the difference between the surface of a non-stick skillet and a piece of 80 grit sandpaper. The skillet possesses a low interfacial energy and the sandpaper’s is high. When you place a droplet of water on the surface, it’s “energy” is visible by looking at the shape of the droplet. Low energy surfaces will inhibit the ability of the droplet to “wet out” the surface resulting in a crisp bead that is tall and small in diameter. The sandpaper will allow the droplet to wet out in a thin, large diameter.

Coatings with low energy inhibit the ability of anything (i.e. marine growth) to get a firm grip on their surface. This characteristic also inhibits the ability of the coating to develop a good grip, or adhesion, to the substrate they are applied to. Most low energy coatings require meticulous cleaning and special chemical treatment or priming that results in an extremely high energy surface for the low energy coatings to bond to.

Prop Speed was the first material to be marketed to the pleasure craft industry and they have been very successful. Not only does it work, the packaging and instructions make it relatively easy for the DIY person- who can follow instructions - to get good results. This same technology is being sold in 55 gal drums for painting the entire underwater surface of supertankers, cruise ships and container ships allowing them to consume less fuel. Properly applied, they are resulting in 2-5% fuel savings and over the life of the vessel saving operators millions of dollars in fuel and reduced emissions.

prop before and after pics.

Attachments

• prop before.jpg
    prop before.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 43
  • prop after.jpg
    prop after.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 36
Slick! Nice job. What kind of prep was done first?

I didn't observe the work. They had told me the bottom paint and prop would be done at the end of the project after other work was completed. I went down to look at the other work and was surprised they did the coatings.It looks like a good job of sanding the old coating off.

Looks great. Let us know if you see a noticeable performance improvement. Also, do you know the cost just for the prop speed?

I have always used a cold galvanizing spray on my past boats but Puffin has Prop Speed applied so it will be interesting to see the difference.

Here in the PNW I have had great results with the cold galvanizing spray.

IMG_5624.jpg

Here is Prop Speed at 5 years in Bellingham. I had no intent to wait so long for a haulout, but Covid changed the routine. The boat had very few hours during years 4 and 5, so it didn't get the benefit of the props' rotation to help remove some of the barnacles. As a aside, the zinc plates are also 5 years, with the help of an isolation transformer. And yes, I did check bonding continuity of the anodes with underwater metal.

Propspeed071722.jpg

Last edited:
I have always used a cold galvanizing spray on my past boats but Puffin has Prop Speed applied so it will be interesting to see the difference.

Here in the PNW I have had great results with the cold galvanizing spray.

View attachment 123272

In May 2020 I used Pettit Cold Galvanizing spray on one side and Interlux CSC anti fouling on the other. Due to Covid restrictions I didn't get to haul at all in 2021, so I had a diver scrape the running gear and the bottom of the keel. He wiped the hull.
When I hauled next, in May 2022, I had hard growth, including large barnacles, mussels, and oysters, each up to 2" across, on the struts, around the cutless bearings and inside the shaft holes, equally on both sides. The shafts and props had shed anything larger than 1/2" in transport to the haulout facility. If there was any difference between the CGS and CSC, it was that on the shafts and props, the CSC performed better than the CGS.

Pictures show: 2020 ready to splash
2022 props before cleaning
2022 strut before cleaning

Attachments

• 2020 haulout complete.jpg
    2020 haulout complete.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2022 haulout both props.jpg
    2022 haulout both props.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2022 haulout port strut.jpg
    2022 haulout port strut.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 32
I got about 2 years with propspeed in the Bay Area. Just reapplied.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom