propane tank re-fill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harleydude777

Vessel Name
KOA KAI
Vessel Make
1988 Island Gypsy 36
well i was wondering about a 5 or 11lb propane tank to use for the blackstone/grill instead of those PITA 1lb bottles, but then wondered how many marinas refill propane tanks or do they just have exchange services,or either? not really worth the convenience of the smaller tank if you can't easily get it refilled while being a coastal cruiser. Plan on hitting the loop June of next year. Thanks in advance for all the info.

well i was wondering about a 5 or 11lb propane tank to use for the blackstone/grill instead of those PITA 1lb bottles, but then wondered how many marinas refill propane tanks or do they just have exchange services,or either? not really worth the convenience of the smaller tank if you can't easily get it refilled while being a coastal cruiser. Plan on hitting the loop June of next year. Thanks in advance for all the info.

The standard 5lb steel tanks can be swapped out easily at a million different locations. Our old sailboat had a bespoke 3lb aluminum tank which was a huge PITA (finding a refill spot, some places need to see that the tank's been certified within X years, etc. etc.). If you have the space just using the 5lb tanks is way easier, at least out here. I imagine the same would be true of cruising the loop.

A propane tank less than 100 pounds of capacity is good for 12 years. (10 years in Canada) Can be recertified for another 5 years.
There will be a 4 digit date stamp in the collar. mm yy.
If the tank was recertified there will be a H or an E by the date.

The regulator valve handle should be triangular in shape. It the handle is start shaped it is old and likely the tank just needs replacing.

Keeping the tank exterior clean and rust/corrosion free will help in having less tank issues.

I've never seen propane tanks (or refilling) available at marinas or fuel docks.

Uber to nearby supplier might not be all that difficult while on the Loop. Presumably wouldn't have to happen all that often...

-Chris

I think I’d get the 5 or 11 pound tank. Refill it when you can and carry a couple of 1 pound cans in case you run out.

I always found the one pound bottles to be the easiest and best solution. I would carry 6 or so onboard, and when we get low they can be bought most places that sell groceries or hardware.
Now that I am not boating but RVing, they are still the best solution I n MY opinion for outside grilling.

I refill the green bottles. I have 20 bottles and they last all summer. Cost is about 0.60 each to refill.

The 1 pound bottles are not designed to be refilled. Do some research on it.

I dont think I've ever seen a 5# tank at those trade a tank locations. We are in the NE.
I've used a (couple due to replacement) 5# tank for about 40+ years and love them for boating & camping.
We are not loopers but have cruised to 2+ mos at a time and find periodically We need to taxi/ Uber to a store we want to get to. I would think the 5-10# tank with several 1# as backups would be the most convenient way to go.

You can buy refillable 1# canisters and the refill conne tor but they are not inexpensive and you need to have a larger tank to fill from which kind of defeats the purpose when traveling and wanting to minimize what you carry.

I never see 5lb tanks either. The only portable propane tanks I see are 20lb and 1lb. Other sizes can be found on RVs, but obviously that's a different market.

Given that 20 pounders are sold, refilled and exchanged almost everywhere, that's my primary tank. I keep 1-pounders on hand for the grill, if the big tank ever runs out.

My propane locker has room for two 20-pounders. That should be plenty to do the Loop, although going out for a refill along the way wouldn't be an issue.

Refilling the one pounders doesn't have to be expensive. Amazon sells this adapter for $10, and a fancier one for $20. I've never done it, but I know a guy who does. Presumably it's not legal, and I wouldn't use it enough to be worth trying anyway.

Does no one use the white 20 lb bottles? I do. Secured on the flying bridge. Hosing to the galley and a BBQ outlet on the transom. PS - and then I read post #10 so I guess "yes".

I used the 20 lb tanks. Mounted a second one that I kept as a spare if the main ran out so I could swap tanks.
I also refilled my small bottles. Did that for many years and never had an issue. I didn’t mention it in my previous post because we had the safety discussion in an older thread and I didn’t want that war to start up again.

I just went with aluminum 7 gallon tanks, you have to remove them to fill but not very often. 12’ hose from tank to grill :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 64
Slowly…. Couldn’t figure out how to rotate the picture, it wasn’t 90 degrees off when I pasted it…. Hopefully a moderator will fix that for me :)

I got this on the DOT website.

STOP! Never refill 1 lb. propane bottles

Video
Summary: The U.S. Department of Transportation, cautions the public to never refill DOT 39 cylinders, such as the 1lb. cylinders used for camping. These types of containers were not designed to withstand the stresses of emptying and refilling.

Never Refill 1 lb Propane Bottles video screen shot
Never Refill 1 lb., Propane Bottles (DOT-39 cylinders)[4:21]:

The public is cautioned to never refill DOT 39 cylinders, i.e., 1 lb., cylinders used for camping. DOT 39 cylinders, of any size, are strictly non-refillable. Hazmat incidents involving refilled DOT 39 cylinders have occurred, including one fatality.

Home Depot sells a 1 lb cylinder made to refill, seems like it was about $20…

I got this on the DOT website.

STOP! Never refill 1 lb. propane bottles

Video
Summary: The U.S. Department of Transportation, cautions the public to never refill DOT 39 cylinders, such as the 1lb. cylinders used for camping. These types of containers were not designed to withstand the stresses of emptying and refilling.

Never Refill 1 lb Propane Bottles video screen shot
Never Refill 1 lb., Propane Bottles (DOT-39 cylinders)[4:21]:

The public is cautioned to never refill DOT 39 cylinders, i.e., 1 lb., cylinders used for camping. DOT 39 cylinders, of any size, are strictly non-refillable. Hazmat incidents involving refilled DOT 39 cylinders have occurred, including one fatality.

Propane safety is covered under several regulations and NFPA standards for good reason. Under the wrong circumstances, even the 1lb bottles are basically "bombs" and are capable of incredible damage! Comodave (and the US Department of Transportation) are right!! Even the 1 lb bottles require safe transportation, use, and storage.

Like many "unwise" or illegal things, yes some people have (and continue to do so) done so and "got away with it". Regardless, it is not considered safe, and if done, is actually a huge risk (even using the "special" adapters sold at some stores), and contravenes various regulations and standards (most times, standards like NFPA are referenced in the regulations and are more or less law - and no, I am not a lawyer).
I have attended several propane incidents over the years and witnessed first hand the devastation that can result. It is a product that deserves to be treated with the utmost caution and respect, hence the various regulations.
On my boat, I used an 11 lb cylinder for the BBQ and it lasted approx. 2 months of almost daily use before needing a (safe) refill. I am not familiar with the Loop, but using an 11 lb cylinder would be my recommendation, and I would stay away from the 1 Lb bottles.

Given that 20 pounders are sold, refilled and exchanged almost everywhere, that's my primary tank. I keep 1-pounders on hand for the grill, if the big tank ever runs out.

My propane locker has room for two 20-pounders. That should be plenty to do the Loop, although going out for a refill along the way wouldn't be an issue.

I built my locker to hold two 20 pounders as well. Third boat I've done this on. While cruising I've found many exchange places, usually gas stations, literally across the street from the marina I was in. Refill place might have been miles away. The steel tanks do rust, but if you exchange them they don't stay on the boat long enough to be a problem. You get a new or repainted tank every time.

The IG36 I owned had a pair of wooden bottle retainers with lashing lines on the FB, dual connections to the LPG system, and a selector tap. When one was empty you switched over and refilled the other. The bottles fitted the retainers, were in good order despite age, and could be (and were) re-certified at modest expense.
I had a separate exchangeable bottle for the bbq. Now we are "all electric", steak doesn`t taste as good.

We used to carry the 1 pound bottles for the grill on a previous boat. I made a bag for them that was mounted under the bow pulpit so if they leaked the propane would dissipate outside the boat. I never stored any inside the boat.

While cruising I've found many exchange places, usually gas stations, literally across the street from the marina I was in. Refill place might have been miles away.

Exchange makes sense while cruising. But I want to point out something I just learned last year: The exchange places only fill the tanks to 15 pounds. The normal refill will be to the 20-pound limit (which is still 20% less than "full" capacity, to allow for expansion.)

So when you consider the cost to exchange vs. refill, realize that an exchange gives you only three-quarters of a tank. And of course it means you'll run out sooner and have to do it all again.

Finally, check the dates on the tanks. I've had exchange places give me a tank which was about to expire. That means I wouldn't be able to refill it if I wanted to next time. I've had good luck asking nicely if they could get me a different tank. Most of them didn't even know there were dates stamped on the tanks, and were more than happy to help me find a newer one.

Exchange makes sense while cruising. But I want to point out something I just learned last year: The exchange places only fill the tanks to 15 pounds. The normal refill will be to the 20-pound limit (which is still 20% less than "full" capacity, to allow for expansion.)

So when you consider the cost to exchange vs. refill, realize that an exchange gives you only three-quarters of a tank. And of course it means you'll run out sooner and have to do it all again.

Finally, check the dates on the tanks. I've had exchange places give me a tank which was about to expire. That means I wouldn't be able to refill it if I wanted to next time. I've had good luck asking nicely if they could get me a different tank. Most of them didn't even know there were dates stamped on the tanks, and were more than happy to help me find a newer one.

But they will take an expired tank back on exchange. Like you said, the clerks probably don't know about the dates, they don't even look.
And yes the exchange tanks will hold 20#, but they only fill them to about 17#. They call that a safety thing, but it's really thier profit margin. Exchange and refill are about the same cost. You're paying for convenience, and if you had to pay for a ride to the refill station, the exchange is likely cheaper.

And yes the exchange tanks will hold 20#, but they only fill them to about 17#. They call that a safety thing, but it's really thier profit margin. Exchange and refill are about the same cost. You're paying for convenience, and if you had to pay for a ride to the refill station, the exchange is likely cheaper.

Hmm did not know that. I will have to look at seller's information next time I do an exchange. I would expect to receive what a seller publishes.

If they publish 15, 17 or 20 pounds, that is what I expect to receive.

Last edited:
Maybe I didn't explain it well. The tank will hold more than 20 pounds. The 20 pounds takes into consideration that it can only be safely (and legally) filled to 80%.

When you get it refilled, you can (and should) leave with 20 pounds of propane in the tank.

When you do an exchange, with any of the big names I've seen, you leave with 15 pounds of propane in the tank, or 75% of the safe and legal capacity.

4339-albums438-picture8012.jpg

CPT Tom, clarification on your posts. If it were possible to fill a 20lb tank totally, it would hold 20lbs. With the new valves which only allow you to fill to about 80% in order to allow for expansion, you will get between 16 and 17lbs of propane.

Where Blue Rhino (and Amerigas) got into trouble was they were advertising "FULL TANKS", which is 80% but were only filling to 15lbs, which is 75%, and not reducing the price accordingly.

Amerigas and Blue Rhino were sued, since they were only filling to 75% capacity (aproximately 15lbs), instead of the 80% (between 16lb and 17lb) they should have been filling their tanks to, and agreed to pay $6.5mil to settle the class action law suit.

Bottom line. A "20lb" propane tank, today, with the triangular valve, can legally (and physically) only be filled to 80%, sometimes a little more depending on the valve, so between 16lbs and 17lbs. Never 20lbs.

Bottom line. A "20lb" propane tank, today, with the triangular valve, can legally (and physically) only be filled to 80%, sometimes a little more depending on the valve, so between 16lbs and 17lbs. Never 20lbs.

Interesting. I searched some more and found some sources which agree with this, and others which agree with the guy at the refill station who told me that 20 lbs is the 80% full amount.

I'd still rather have 80% than 75% for about the same money (or less) but I do want good information to base my decisions on. Plus I don't want to give bad information here!

I have an old tank I may take the valve off and actually measure the volume once I've used it up.

Back
Top Bottom