Propane usage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
I currently have a 1970 vintage 120 volt princess 3 burner stove with oven. Which I am very happy with. But someday it is going to die and while some parts are available some are not, notably the oven thermostat. Am thinking about switching to a Force 10 propane 3 burner with oven which is a drop in replacement size wise. (The electric version requires a fifty amp breaker which is not going to work with my 30 amp service.) We are full time liveaboards and especially these days do a lot of cooking on board. Any guesstimates on typical propane usage? I’m figuring on using steel 20 lb tanks mainly because they are readily exchangeable almost anywhere. Filling places not so much, so no aluminum or fiberglass tanks. Any thoughts? Or does anyone have a princess parts stove? And yes I know and deal with Sure Marine.

As part of my refit, I considered going with aluminum or fiberglass propane tanks. I too decided to go with steel. They rust eventually, but not fast enough to worry about. I have been in San Francisco where weather is pretty mild, so might be different in tropical climate once I reach Florida.

At hope, our house has been under remodel for about a year. We have a guest house in back where we've been living for about a year and, like yourself, Covid has meant cooking exclusively at home. We have been using a 22-inch Blackstone propane griddle, a Breville smart oven, and a single-hob induction hot plate. But Blackstone is the work-horse getting used at least once per day, often twice. A bottle of propane lasts about 6-8 weeks. I would expect similar on a full-time liveaboard, maybe a bit longer since the burners on a Force 10 are not nearly as heat-robust as the Blackstone.

Peter

We had a 20 lb steel tank and cooked on board a lot, coffee in the am, etc. We could get about 2 1/2 months out of a tank.
We did do some grilling also with small bottles.

We had a 20 lb steel tank and cooked on board a lot, coffee in the am, etc. We could get about 2 1/2 months out of a tank.
We did do some grilling also with small bottles.

:thumb: Me too!

David

Depending how much you use it of course, 20 pounds will go months. We have a 5# tank. It goes 60 days of cruising with about 1/3 tank remaining. We never use the oven though.

As a liveaboard, and using the stovetop (no oven) on a fairly regular basis I get at least a year out of a 20lb bottle. That was 6 months or so underway and six at the dock but living aboard full time and hardly ever ate out.

I have been through 4 different stoves in the last 25 years. They all used a different amount of propane. I am a full time liveaboard and my wife is a professional cook. She cooks a lot and does a lot of complicated meals requiring both the cook top and oven. One stove would go 3 months on a 20lb bottle. Our current stove goes 6 weeks. I can’t explain the difference but I do have 5 years of consistent data to back this up.

So the best answer I can give you is some were between 6 weeks and 12 weeks depending on which stove and how heavily used.

I suspect the oven’s ability to retain heat is the big key between these numbers.

I repainted my 5# tank with appliance epoxy paint, no rust now, then split a piece of PVC hose and dressed it onto the base ring...no more marrs on deck.

I repainted my 5# tank with appliance epoxy paint, no rust now, then split a piece of PVC hose and dressed it onto the base ring...no more marrs on deck.
For info the white split sleeve used on sail boat rigging (stays) works well on the bottom ring of 5# tanks.

Related question: How many people think an aluminum or composite tank(s) make sense vs a standard Steel tank? Initial cost was not a huge concern for me, but getting the re-certified is a pain. My understanding is few local folks will tough valve replacement on the composite tanks so they more or less have to be returned to the manufacturer.

Thoughts?

Peter

I did like that u-tube on that sail boat going all electric. But bottom line, how are you going to use your boat?

For me, going with a one or two burner induction stove top would work for us and a toaster oven. Both would only need a 120v 15 amp plug. But for some that would not be enough.

For me, a 20lb trade in with a spare made sense. Cover it, keep it on something so you don't get a rust ring. So far so good after 7 years.

If you consistently go some place that filling is more prevalent....I might think fiberglass if I can get it refilled, if not...probably an just stick with the steel as outside with a waterproof cover and they last years before rust gets real bad.

As far as tank duration, I agree with Tiltrider. Estimate 6-12 weeks depending on the exact stove and your usage. EG. do you bake alot, if so, your usage will probably be higher. We use the BBQ quite a bit, but do make a lot of tea and coffee.
In my opinion, usually a steel tank will be "throw away" due to rust. Once there is a rust problem, most Propane dealers will not recertify and some refillers will not refill (even if within certification dates) a "rusted" tank.
The trade in route is good, if it is convenient. Otherwise, realize the limitations of the steel tanks (maybe provisions to lessen the issues) or go aluminum?

We lived aboard for two summers from May to Labor Day. Nearly all meals on board. Usage was between 2/3 and 3/4 of a tank. Had a fiberglass tank we could see the level in.

Rob

As part of my refit, I considered going with aluminum or fiberglass propane tanks.

First aluminum propane tanks and rusting. This is a non-issue if you get your propane from places that do bottle exchanges. Highly recommend this as you no longer have to worry about rusting bottles.

Fiberglass tanks. The issue with these is that other than the stupid price in some locations the propane dealer may decline to fill it. There were problems with fiberglass tanks many years ago and most dealers stop refilling them. Then the problems were fixed and most but not all got back on the band wagon and would refill them, most but not all.

If you have the space get either two 20's or one 20 and an 11. I have the latter - 20 & 11 - and the smaller tank is the "stand by tank." So let me give you a scenario. The whole chicken is in the oven, and at minute 35 you run out of propane but the chicken needs at least another 25 - 35 minutes of roasting. So are you going to grab the tank and dash to your nearest propane joint or are you then going to turn on your second stand by tank. The next day I then go and get the big tank filled so I have propane left in the smaller tank to act on stand by again.

Why not have both propane and electric. This is what I do as I'm a cheap Ba.....d. So when at the marina, home or otherwise, I use an induction plate (single) and a small convection oven. When on the hook, I use propane. If you watched the video of the Wynn's electric set up, you see she has a one burner induction plate which is portable.

I don't have a lot of counter prep room on my boat, one of the few negatives that mildly bugs me. I have a two burner/oven Force 10 propane unit. I bought a cutting board that fits neatly into the top area over the burners. When I use my one plate induction unit, it sits on top of the cutting board.

We have 2 steel 20's that we do exchange with. One tank lasts at least 3 months and we use our stove daily. When one goes empty, switchover to the other and we then have approximately 3 months to get the other exchanged. Around the US its a no brainer for us.

Ken

I found the plastic saucer of a plastic plant tub useful to go under steel propane/LPG bottles where they are stored. It can be glued to the deck surface,I used a sealant as the "glue".

We have 3x30# aluminum tanks feeding a 3 burner+oven stove and a grill. One tank lasts 4 months of full time cruising. Fill once a year at Costco.

Thanks to all for the info. I like the trade in empties for full ones route. No worries about rust, re-certification, or finding someone to refill. I’m pleasantly surprised at how long a twenty pound tank will last. My only experience is with a seldom used grill when I had a house. Never tracked usage. Am also looking at a Dickinson 3 burner-the Mediterranean. More BTU’s ,bigger oven, more stable grid for pots to sit on. Really am thinking of the change to propane preemptively before my now 50 year old Princess gives out in some place far from all my tools back in NJ.

The lid from a 4l ice cream bucket fits the base of the 20# tank. No rust on the deck.

First, I keep my propane tanks in a custom built propane locker. I use two steel tanks that cost about $20 new and after 10 years it will be cheaper to replace than to have recertified. I don't need to worry about rust as that has always been a non issue. I slit a piece of vinyl hose and wrapped it around the tank base ring so it would not leave any marks in the bottom of my locker.

Many years ago I bought two fiberglass propane tanks. I loved them. They were considerably lighter, could see the propane level and they had no expiration date. Unfortunately they were out lawed. The fiberglass people went back to work and got a new design recertified. Unfortunately this new design has an expiration date and I have not found any one who is willing to recertify them. I just don't think the advantages justify the cost.

Aluminum tanks have a place but for most of us the advantages are not worth the cost.

"How many people think an aluminum or composite tank(s) make sense vs a standard Steel tank?"

If you only cruise in your local area and are installed now in the boat , you should be able to live with them.

If you go cruising the huge PIA of needing to fill YOUR tanks instead of just grabbing a couple at many places will get old.

While we call them 20 lb tanks , since the overfill valve requirement , you only get about 15 lbs as the valve controls the fill , not a trained operator and a scale.

With our large propane reefer , we required a bottle a month , so 4 were carried aboard , and 2 refilled when it was a short walk, with the cart.

Bake and cook. Barbecue rigged off tank. No small bottles. Use steel. Split hose on bottom and plastic open grid on bottom of locker. No rust. No exchange service in much of the world in our experience so rustoelum painted on boat name.
~2 months between changes but often do it sooner as availability may vary depending upon locale and want full tanks. Numbers as full time cruisers.

WHen we had propane tanks I used the press on car door trim on the bottom to avoid the rust rings. THe trim has an adhesive and once pressed into place I never had any trouble with it letting go.

So there a few options.

We have 2 steel 20's that we do exchange with. One tank lasts at least 3 months and we use our stove daily. When one goes empty, switchover to the other and we then have approximately 3 months to get the other exchanged. Around the US its a no brainer for us.

Ken
Same here. We keep a spare and exchange when one runs out. Our stove is a 30-year old Princess 3 burner stove and oven. We use it all the time, and live aboard full time. I cannot believe how long a tank lasts. 4 to 6 months, and that's with daily usage. Exchanging tanks is so simple and convenient and cheap.

I do all my cooking for one including boiling water for coffee, etc as well as washing dishes, and cooked breakfast half of days or more. I have kept track for some time, and a 10lb fill lasts minimum 28 days, up to 32 days. One batch of cookies takes off about 1.5 days. I have a standard RV type range probably the same as your Princess.

We have 3 13# - supplies 3 burner stove + oven and fridge. PO, who cruised and anchored a lot, said filled in spring and never worried about it until launch the net year.

We carry 4 x 9kg (20lb)
1 connected to the stove via a draining cockpit locker
1 connected to the built in BBQ via a draining cockpit locker
Spares live in back corner of cockpit in open air
Get about 3 months from the stove, more from BBQ

They are steel but we have Swap"n"Go here so shiny, freshly painted and tested tanks every time they are swapped

I did consider buying my own galvanised tanks but if we get overseas, we will likely have to buy odd sized local tanks anyway, different fittings in different lands.

Back
Top Bottom