Propeller Calculations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rgano,
Did they offer the same slightly different ratios for the 2.57-1 gear?

rgano,

Not for the regular velvet drives. Only a couple of the ratio choices rotate opposite and the 2.57 and 2.91 aren't close to any that do. To get counter rotation with my 2.57 ratio velvet drives, I have counter rotating engines (gassers).

You don’t want to give away diameter, with that you lose blade area , efficiency and impact the propellers ability to absorb horsepower and turn it into torque.

Forget about it.

Thrust

Change in Pitch chart

I have attached a change in pitch chart that many of you will find useful. I've had it a few years and cannot recall which prop manufacturer I got it from.

Attachments

• change in pitch chart.pdf
    445.1 KB · Views: 50
I wouldn't give up diameter, but if you end up with more blade area than necessary, going to a design with narrower blades for less area should be more efficient than going down in diameter, as the higher aspect ratio blades should have lower tip losses.

rgano,

I do not know the answer to that. I was a GB neophyte at the time (1986) just interested in knowing if I could trail a shaft while trolling; so they went and dug up this elderly engineer who had been involved in the design. We talked only about my particular model and gear ratio. That was back I the day when people answered phones and would actually discuss things with customers.

Last edited:
I just checked the ratio list for the 71C and 72C Velvet Drives. Looks like 1.91:1 is the only ratio that rotates opposite of the engines. All others rotate the same as the engine (1.0, 1.52, 2.10, 2.57, 2.91). So 1.91 / 2.10 ratios would be the counter rotating pair, although personally, I consider that a pretty bad design kludge.

Back
Top Bottom