Purchasing boat sight unseen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't do it. Seriously. Wait until you can check the boat out yourself. If this is your first boat purchase, bring someone along with you who is knowledgeable.

Our recent experience (not our first boat purchase), which included assurances from the Broker, a contingency about us obtaining a satisfactory marine survey, oil sample testing, sea trial and walk-through went out the window and the Broker has kept the 10% we had to include with the offer. Note: the only way a marine survey and other testing could be done is if we made an offer, including handing over 10%. Also, Google experiences by buyers of Brokers and sellers keeping the money included with an offer.

The survey revealed that the seller was not completely honest about upgrades and work done to the boat. We don't mind taking on some work for the right boat, but this was an expensive project. In the end, the money that would need to be spent in order to bring that boat up to the claims made by the seller, and that we would be safe sailing, far exceeded the value of that boat.

We have had to hire a lawyer to try to get our money back, Remember, no survey or testing was allowed without an offer. If the survey shows serious problems, getting your money back is like rolling the dice. We are out a lot of money right now. It is ugly and truly bazaar.

I just got a sight unseen offer ,
Boat is listed with an online broker ,
Boat is a 2003 30 ft power cruiser with twin 6 cylinder gas engines
It a new world , cars purchased over internet , no test driving , got one week too return , They deliver , Excitement of ordering a new car is HISTORY
Same with boats , younger buyers do everything over internet
I am old school , like too kick the tires ,
I never was happy with boat , WIFES BOAT ,- I caved , she loved rosewood cabinets , leather seating , , ME , I was drained driving all over my state FLA, too view boats that show nothing like pics
HONEY twin gas engines , Double trouble , BOY was I right ,
Add in fuel burn , gallon a mile ,
I always had a boat , last boat was a 24 ft fishing boat with cuddy
Sold , During 6 years of owing , and 30 thousand in engines boat is dialed in , I still dont like lay out and many areas of boat is unused like small aft cabin Figuring , time too sell , Hot market , if I dont sell I am foolish
I am addicted too water , I am at boat many days of every week , Love
hanging , chatting with others , ,
I went from enjoying fishing too crusing , boating ,
Wife , not so much , She would rather stay home doing her thing ,
I got a offer close too the numbers I wanted , After commissions
Buyer 1000 miles away , Pending , survey , water test , at buyers cost ,
I know its time too let this boat go , But inventory of boats is slim
I am starting that process all over in a tight market ? As much as I am not crazy about boat , The starting all over process in a used boat , DONT HAVE THAT DESIRE
Anybody have a nice trawler ?? Central FLa ?
I want a boat too cruise weeks , NO GAS GUZZLER , Fuel is expeced too hit 5 bucks a gallon

Don't do it. Seriously. Wait until you can check the boat out yourself. If this is your first boat purchase, bring someone along with you who is knowledgeable.

Our recent experience (not our first boat purchase), which included assurances from the Broker, a contingency about us obtaining a satisfactory marine survey, oil sample testing, sea trial and walk-through went out the window and the Broker has kept the 10% we had to include with the offer. Note: the only way a marine survey and other testing could be done is if we made an offer, including handing over 10%. Also, Google experiences by buyers of Brokers and sellers keeping the money included with an offer.

The survey revealed that the seller was not completely honest about upgrades and work done to the boat. We don't mind taking on some work for the right boat, but this was an expensive project. In the end, the money that would need to be spent in order to bring that boat up to the claims made by the seller, and that we would be safe sailing, far exceeded the value of that boat.

We have had to hire a lawyer to try to get our money back, Remember, no survey or testing was allowed without an offer. If the survey shows serious problems, getting your money back is like rolling the dice. We are out a lot of money right now. It is ugly and truly bazaar.
If you take this approach the downside is seller has no obligation to hold a sale for your visit. Depending on the travel time / distance you could arrive and seller informs you I now have a firm offer, boat is under contract or has sold.
I dont see making an offer & agreeing on price as well as terms prior to investing your time & $.
How would you feel if after viewing owner would not accept contingencies?
When I purchased our current boat 2,000 mi away this was exactly the process and my deposit was held in escrow by my buyers broker.

Last edited:
We purchased our Mainship 390, sight unseen, a 10 hour drive or flight away from us. It was a wonderful experience.

Find a buyers broker you like, have them help you put together all the proper docs and terms. It’s worth it in my experience, especially in these kinds of deals.

We had a very kind and responsive selling broker, as well as the seller. I treated everyone with respect, was clear about what I needed and expected. Not demanding…..kind and thorough. They saw how we acted, and returned the same. Everyone told me I was nuts to buy it this way, but it was great.

Understand it’s your job to know and research the boat and track everything, nobody will care as much as you.

Our boat was in excellent shape for its age (2001) and we would have not gotten the boat for sure if we had waited. The seller’s broker told me he had multiple parties ready to hit the road and come see the boat if my offer fell through. It wasn’t a tactic. The boat was exactly what I wanted, where I wanted it, and at a price I was willing to pay.

Also, plan for extra costs. I budgeted 5k just for the first week of ownership for “stuff” , as it happened I ended up paying for about 2k in parts….pumps and stuff.

Find a good buyers broker. Find the boat. Do it! Enjoy!! Post pics and questions here and we’d all love to help you.

Pay attention to the negative stories too…caution is good, but you can have a good experience too!

We just did this on our current boat. Went down to Florida for two weeks this winter to look at boats. Found one we wanted, made an offer, back and forth, owner wouldn't budge, so we walked from that one, and, while in Florida, made an offer "sight unseen" (had pictures, talked to selling broker with our broker, asked for add'l pictures of certain areas, etc.). Subject to survey and sea trial of course. Boat was in New England, covered storage, so did survey shortly thereafter and closed on the sale without sea trial (couldn't get it out of storage and into the water until spring) but with a significant escrow fund to cover anything found on sea trial. All worked out, escrow funds were used to cover a few relatively minor repairs (new alternators, new auto pilot "brain", replace failed a/c unit). Enjoying the boat now, whereas if we had waited the week or so it would have taken to get up to see the boat, in the market at that time, there likely would have been another offer ahead of us.

Sight unseen

I just saw my boat for the first time a week ago. I bought the boat in NS in October and had quite the time just getting it to Maine. You are on the right track but I would insist on seeing service records for what has and has not been performed on the boat. Things like coolers on diesels are very pricey and need to be maintained to avoid serious problems. This will help prepare you for expenses you will most likely have to deal with in the short term. I lucked out on the boat it is what I expected but I am dealing with a coolant issue found on the trip home from Maine on one motor that could end up costly.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Really good responses from everyone pro and con.

I bought mine sight unseen as well. The key for me was it was maintained by the factory authorized service center it’s entire life, very low hours, good set of photos.
I spoke at length with the service center, saw receipts, and had a comprehensive survey done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom