PVC inflatable registration number ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another vote for boatnumberplate.com. As with any inflatable "patch," the longevity will be a function of the quality of the install. I was lucky in that I had a new clean inflatable (that I then scratched up with sandpaper) before applying the glue. The result looks great, will last the life of the boat, and takes much less time than hand drawing.

I always find interesting the million dollar boat dripping with fancy nautical gadgets, but the dinghy has faded Sharpie numbers scribbled on by a third grader.

I wouldn’t want to permanently affix. The name board is the best compromise and let’s you stick your annual registration tag on, and don’t forget, the big colorful marine patrol safety inspection stickers, so you don’t get hassled as often.

I always find interesting the million dollar boat dripping with fancy nautical gadgets, but the dinghy has faded Sharpie numbers scribbled on by a third grader.

No danger of that dichotomy with my boat!

But, there's something to be said for being the rattiest-looking dinghy tied up at the dinghy dock. Especially the outboard. The best theft deterrent is to have something that doesn't look like it's worth stealing. While I don't go out of my way to dirty it up, I don't put much energy into making my dinghy look valuable, either.

I donte no bout you smart rich guys but I used a stensul with my sharpie I was learned up gud and gradiuated frum fith grade to!

No danger of that dichotomy with my boat!

But, there's something to be said for being the rattiest-looking dinghy tied up at the dinghy dock. Especially the outboard. The best theft deterrent is to have something that doesn't look like it's worth stealing. While I don't go out of my way to dirty it up, I don't put much energy into making my dinghy look valuable, either.

Probably the best dinghy motor I ever had was a 15HP 2-stroke Yamaha that was painted to look old and beat (but was actually well maintained and ran like a champ).

I used the boatnumberplates and they lasted 5 years before they started curling up at the corners and could not be flattened back out. Next, I made my own stencil and used magic markers. I have to touch them up once a year, but they look fine. For the registration sticker I bought one of the rubber squares that glue onto the dinghy and the sticker goes on it.

Same here. They also faded for a number of years after until you could not really read them.

Edit: mine were curling up, but it was the material itself that delaminated and the top layers were curling, while the outer most layer stayed dutifully adhered to my boat.

Last edited:
Vinyl works for me. Inexpensive and they will last a few years if not in a location that is getting climbed on.

Plus I’ve got a vinyl cutter so cutting a new set doesn’t even required dropping by the sign store. If you have to renew them, that’s pretty quick and easy, maybe a one beer type job.

We had a small inflatable in the past and also had trouble getting the numbers to stay on the fabric. Eventually, I put the number and sticker on the hard transom. That worked perfectly for several years and we never had a complaint from law enforcement. An improvised solution is generally more accepted on a small inflatable than a larger RIB, imo.

That's actually allowed in Michigan for the tax stickers on inflatables. The numbers have to be on the forward half of the boat but the stickers can go on the transom. Guess they had too many complaints about the stickers falling off the fabric. Don't know if any other states allow it though.

Not allowed in Alaska, the numbers have to be on both sides of the bow, and the decal has to be within 6" of the numbers. A plate might be overlooked but the rule is "attached to the hull"

If you get the numbers/letters made of exterior sign vinyl, the stuff they cut auto/trunk signage from, they will stick to both fabrics. I put them on mine 8 years ago along with t/t kuleana kai, still there and looks great.

Inflatable Registration Numbers

The company we bought our new inflatable from suggested installing stick on numbers and the sticker from our town on the transom, which I have done and no problem...yet. Our town gives two stickers so I stick the second one on the top of the outboard.
Good luck,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor Maine

Attachments

• 39FBC6CA-038A-4806-BAC1-32988F1EB8B7.jpg
    39FBC6CA-038A-4806-BAC1-32988F1EB8B7.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 14
I stuck my numbers directly to the pontoon on the inside of the dingy tubes facing out where they won’t get scratched or ripped off. Looks a little strange and I’m sure some cop might take an issue but most other solutions don’t last very long.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom