Quality of Cooper Prowler 42 with DD 8.2 engines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No fuss if you want a 50 year old unicorn, which are tough to get shoes for and even tougher to find someone who knows how to nail them on.

I know a boat in Vancouver that has a pair of 8.2s. One has been troublesome and the owner, a very competent DIY mechanic, has had no trouble getting parts, just complains about that engine being troublesome since new in 1996.

I know a boat in Vancouver that has a pair of 8.2s. One has been troublesome and the owner, a very competent DIY mechanic, has had no trouble getting parts, just complains about that engine being troublesome since new in 1996.

In previous posts up the page, I’ve said the same thing; DIY and length of ownership.

I just made the unicorn analogy to emphasize the point you make about mechanical aptitude and familiarity with these specific engines.

I don’t know who on the mainland has the expertise, but the only one I know of on the coast is Chuck McKenzie, who quite likely installed every Canoe Cove 8.2.

Chuck now offers himself to a very select few long-term CC owners who know the difference between a spanner and a spud wrench. Even then he will only sit while you bark your knuckles.

That's interesting, the broker said its a 2 stroke. If its a 4 stroke like every other Diesel engine out there, then what's the fuss?

To help understand the 8.2, it was developed after the fuel crisis of early '70 as an offering to operators of class 5 and 6 gas engine trucks.....think cola delivery, utulity cos., tree service, school bus operators......the target market was the gm truck gasoline big block 366 and 427's , and ford 534....these engines delivered gas mileage of 3 to 4 mpg!!.....so, it was a well found purpose to develope a mid-range diesel for these customers which would double the mileage out of a gallon of much lower cost diesel fuel

Out or 300,000 engines built, 200m were sold and 100m built as warrenty replacement spares.....almost all of the 200m failed and were replaced under warrenty with the 100m spares....with almost all of them failing more than once....an attempt to repair the other 100m in the field also failed.

If you decide to go with these engines, I would reccommend strict adherence to 'trawler speed" only....say, in the 1,500 rpm range.

Also, I would acquire a spare engine of known condition to have on hand for internal spares.....doesn't have to be marine....and I would also acquire a new set of marinization 'specific' parts...manifolds, risers, etc

This link goes into more detail....

https://everythingaboutboats.org/detroit-diesel-8-2/

Interesting reading on Everythingaboutboats.org. That is a website I will bookmark. But boats are supposed to be a source of enjoyment and this doesn't sound like any fun. I will pass on this boat. Thanks for all your comments. - Ken

That's interesting, the broker said its a 2 stroke. If its a 4 stroke like every other Diesel engine out there, then what's the fuss?
The problem is with the design of the engines. They are more like a gas engine then a diesel. The cylinder walls are just a tube about 3/8 thick and the head just sits on the top of the cylinder tubes. The head gaskets just cant take the load. Take a look at some images online and you will see the problem even as a none mechanic .If a guy was taking it real easy on them from new they might be ok but when buying used you would never know if they were run flat out and if so it would be a ticking time bomb.Having been around diesels my whole life i have never seen an engine with so many flaws. I didnt even get to thin rod bearings and journals and very difficult timing. They take special tools for setting injector timing and i am not sure i even have any of the tools anymore so likely other shops would be in the same boat.

Cooper prowler 8.2

My wife and I were in process of purchasing a Cooper prowler with the 8.2s last year, maybe the same boat in Washington?

The boat had a great layout, my wife loved it. Upon sea trial it was under powered with a major vibration in the port engine/ transmission. I called everyone I could including the DD dealers. Nobody would even come look at her. The only person with 8.2 expertise I could find in the Puget Sound area retired. They all told me Parts were difficult at best to obtain. Too bad , it was a great boat. The seller, my wife and I were all disappointed.

My wife and I were in process of purchasing a Cooper prowler with the 8.2s last year, maybe the same boat in Washington?

The boat had a great layout, my wife loved it. Upon sea trial it was under powered with a major vibration in the port engine/ transmission. I called everyone I could including the DD dealers. Nobody would even come look at her. The only person with 8.2 expertise I could find in the Puget Sound area retired. They all told me Parts were difficult at best to obtain. Too bad , it was a great boat. The seller, my wife and I were all disappointed.

Not my favorite engine, maybe you were lucky…

So sorry to hear!
Its not often a boat so thoroughly checks all your boxes, and has such high regard by owners.

Its a shame that engines, being a self contained unit, are jinxing all the above. The seller surely knows this jinx is gonna rear its head with any future prospect(s) as well.

Perhaps sit down with him to discuss the reality of some price reduction which helps you close the distance to a repower.

For your part, maybe call Cummins and get solid pricing on re-manufactured engines vs new?

Bachus - you dodged a bullet - the 8.2 DD was a poor design with many issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom