Racor filter - Wireless Vacuum Gauge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmattson

My Racor fuel filter has the vacuum gauge on top which replaced the T handle. Works fine, but I’d like to see it underway and it’s obviously very difficult to leave flybridge with the Admiral steering, go down below, lift access panels and using flashlight, …. you get the picture. I saw some wireless vacuum gauges online and assuming they have the same threads, I think this would be great, just use an app to see vacuum anytime. Anyone do this or have this? If so, please provide details. Thanks (BYW this is my very first post ever!)

Welcome aboard. Is there reason that you feel the filters will clog quickly? We have run multiple boats for years and never had a huge rise in vacuum in a short amount of time. It usually goes up slowly over time so checking it at the beginning and end of a day’s cruise is usually fine. Racor makes a T handle replacing gauge that has a drag needle so you can see what the max vacuum was during the day, if that is what you have then you can tell what the max was.

Not usually getting clogged quickly but with it easily checked would be better. I do have the Racor gauge but think having wireless is better

Whatever you want to do is fine but I maybe you are overthinking this and making it more complicated than necessary.

I have not installed a vac gauge mainly because a stalled engine will tell me sooner that I have a clogged filter, since I will not be going down to engine room to check on a vac gauge while underway.

My vacuum gauges have never alerted me to an issue. Eventually I replace the filter due to calendar time. The guages are no longer operational and I see no need to replace them as I can’t see clogged filters ever being an issue.

I have not installed a vac gauge mainly because a stalled engine will tell me sooner that I have a clogged filter, since I will not be going down to engine room to check on a vac gauge while underway.

Yeah, it's a bit dangerous down there when the motors are running. Got to keep clear of unguarded belts and pulleys. Alternator fan blades.

I don't want to go down there when the motors are running even at the dock.

What about a camera?

That's probably the cheapest way, and maybe the only wireless way. Lots of cameras available for 50 cents, or maybe a dollar (just kidding of course, but they are inexpensive). Otherwise the only way I know of is with a wired sensor connected to N2K, then some sort of N2K display device. A chart plotter might be able to show vacuum, but my guess is not since it's not a common thing to display. So that might force you to a display like something from Maretron or other vendor. All in you are looking at some $$ for one gauge, a bit less if it's part of a larger monitoring package. Maretron is probably $600-$800 for the sensor & N2K box, then $700-$1000 for a small dedicated display.

I agree with Comodave's advice, assuming the gauge has a drag needle. Just check it occasionally, and replace the filter annually. Unless you take on a bad batch of fuel, or the boat is really old and you get in heavy seas and stir things up in the tank, that drag needle will never move.

I am a firm believer in being able to remotely monitor the fuel vacuum, but it does not have to be a techy (and in my mind thus less reliable) solution. I am a bit old school in things like this. My remote-reading vacuum gauges in my boats have been an invaluable tool providing both peace of mind about the condition of my filters (especially in rolly conditions) as well as early warning of the need for replacement.

Attached is a photo of the remote gauges, viewable from the helm, I installed on my Grand Banks for the port/stbd/gen engines as well as the fuel polishing system. On my simpler Mainship Pilot, I have installed a gauge at the helm for the main engine only. All it requires is a tee in the fuel line wherever you thing appropriate downstream of the Racor with a cutout valve installed (just for safety/maintenance sake) in the vacuum line leading off to the gauge which you place wherever in the boat you want.

Attachments

• Copy of Fuel vacuum gauges.jpg
    Copy of Fuel vacuum gauges.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 39
Well, a couple things, #1 I always go and check things in the engine room occasionally when on a longer cruise. #2 I used to have a boat with remote reading vacuum gauges on the fly bridge but there is a vacuum loss so the best way to know when the filters are clogging is to note the vacuum when they do. #3 I currently have the Parker gauges with the tell tail needle so I can keep an eye on changes in vac. Before adding those, twice I had an engine die while underway and I don't like that. No fun changing a filter in a hot engine room while bouncing at sea. At least this type of gauge is absolutely necessary IMHO.

The way I found out the vacuum gauge reading equating to time for filter change was to shut off the fuel supply at the tank with the engine idling. When it first hiccupped, I noted the vacuum reading and reopened the fuel valve allowing the engine to resume normal idle.

Recently my port engine started losing rpm. I suspected the filter needed changing. I quickly switched to starboard tank and continued on. Filter change done at next stop.

The way I found out the vacuum gauge reading equating to time for filter change was to shut off the fuel supply at the tank with the engine idling. When it first hiccupped, I noted the vacuum reading and reopened the fuel valve allowing the engine to resume normal idle.

Actually, you are right. I forgot about that hint that I got years ago. Now, I just know that my time is well before the gauge red zone.

Back
Top Bottom