Radar for Timezero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

x2y3z4

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SeaRose
Vessel Make
Alaskan 68
We actually have an old Simrad radar with an open beam on board, which fulfils its task adequately (displayed on CX54). The maximum range is 72nm.
Now that Timezero has replaced Simrad navigation in daily operation, I would like to integrate the radar into Timezero.
The Furuno NXT systems with Ethernet connection are ideal for this. We have to decide between a radome antenna and an open beam antenna.
The advantages of the open beam antenna seem to lie primarily in the range.
However, as we operate our existing radar almost exclusively with 6sm or 12sm, I don't recognise any advantage of the systems with an open antenna. The closed system has 25W, with the open ones we can choose between 25, 100 and 200W.

What is your opinion?
1. does it make any sense at all to integrate radar into Timezero (overlay or separate screen) and uninstall the separate Simrad for it?
2. is a 24" radome antenna sufficient?

I have been operating a Furuno DRS2D radar with Timezero for 9 years. My preference is to have radar displayed on a split screen of a 24" monitor rather than as an overlay to the nav screen, although TZ gives you the choice. And yes, 24" radome is all you need. Range is primariy determined by the height of the dome above water level, for objects at sea anyway.

Range is but one variable. The real gain in the open array is that you can have a larger antenna. The horizontal beam width is a function of the size of the antenna. A radome may have a resolution of 3 degrees. An open array can be sub 1 degree.

So your ability to discern between targets increases.

Range is but one variable. The real gain in the open array is that you can have a larger antenna. The horizontal beam width is a function of the size of the antenna. A radome may have a resolution of 3 degrees. An open array can be sub 1 degree.

So your ability to discern between targets increases.
I think this is the most important advantage to a larger array. With a small array, targets are more smeared rather than showing the actual extents of the target. And targets that are close together smear together to appear as a single target. Only you can decide how much this matters to you.

Many thanks for the advice!
Does the ability to more accurately resolve objects depend on the distance to the object?

From my experience, this is only of limited relevance beyond 6 nm. An object is an object, whether it consists of one or more. Over time, the objects would either move differently or remain fixed as a hazard if they are joined together.

I assume, of course, that a 24” radome radar in the range of 3 nm has sufficient horizontal resolution?

It should be mentioned that we are moving at 8-10kn and not 30kn ;-)

Back
Top Bottom