Raymarine C90W CAM100 backup camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaFlorida

Veteran Member
We own a Raymarine C90W chart plotter. Was hoping to add a camera to the C90W. But unfortunately we cannot locate the recommended Raymarine CAM100 camera. They are no longer being produced and they are out of stock on online stores.

I reached out to Raymarine support hoping that they could recommend a compatible camera that will work with our C90W chart plotter. Unfortunately support said no.

I was hoping that someone came up with a solution, maybe an adapter of some kind?

According to the Raymarine manual, the camera input has a BNC connection.

We will be using the camera as a backup camera during strong winds and current. We were also looking at a few products like an RV wireless backup camera with a pairing 7” screen. But would rather have a camera connected to our existing chart plotter.

Hopefully someone has a solution.

Thank you,
Linda

Attachments

• httpswww.vela-navega.comforummyfilesC-Series-W_Installation.pdf.jpg
    httpswww.vela-navega.comforummyfilesC-Series-W_Installation.pdf.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 30
I went with a Lorex DVR system from Costco. Wired system but fairly easy to run the wires. Not elegant but I got 6 cameras and the DVR with a TB of disc space for about $350. Works great. Cameras in cockpit (backup cam) as well as 1 on each engine, 1 bow, 1 saloon and 1 pilot house. Also great for security as I have an onboard LTE router from Verizon.

Linda, I don’t have a raymarine system, but looking at the picture you posted, the video input is pretty standard. What I can’t see is where the camera gets it’s power.
A BNC connector is usually two conductors. Like coax. Center wire and grounding sheath.
Video is usually rca type connector. Same connection scheme, but different style of plug.
Can you see if the BNC connector has multiple pins or just the center pin? If just the center pin you can wire almost any camera to it. Just need to get camera power. The camera needs 12 volts to power up and output the video feed.
The biggest hurdle is adapting to the BNC connector. You might need to solder on a BNC connector to the camera video out wire, or try to source a pre made adapter.

I will look into your suggestion. I asked Raymarine support about possibly using another camera with a BNC connection. I will check to see if the BNC connector from my chart plotter has multiple pins.

Here is Raymarines response:

“The CAM100/CAM50 will be the only compatible cameras with the C90W. Since we do not sell them anymore, we have a few Legacy dealers that sell refurbished parts.”

My thoughts, I don’t see why another compatible camera with a some kind off an adapter would not work. I found an adapter online that I found interesting… see attached photos:

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 20
I will look into your suggestion. I asked Raymarine support about possibly using another camera with a BNC connection. I will check to see if the BNC connector from my chart plotter has multiple pins.

Here is Raymarines response:

“The CAM100/CAM50 will be the only compatible cameras with the C90W. Since we do not sell them anymore, we have a few Legacy dealers that sell refurbished parts.”

My thoughts, I don’t see why another compatible camera with a some kind off an adapter would not work. I found an adapter online that I found interesting… see attached photos:

ok, seems very simple. almost every backup cam has either ntsc or pal output. the adapter on ebay clearly shows the video feed on the bnc connector and a red/black power connection.
you can get a backup cam like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camecho-Back...volt+backup+camera&qid=1698854680&sr=8-3&th=1

the yellow rca video output goes to the bnc adapter i linked earlier, then you have the power connection on the little red plug. easy, cheap.
cheap enough that if it doesnt work for some reason, you're not out a ton of dough.

there are countless cameras with the same configuration, take your pick.
regarding the cable you showed, thats a 4 pin aviation style plug. it carries the power and video together. nothing wrong with that method either, as long as you are sure the pin configuration matches the camera. many cameras with aviation style plugs too. like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Rear...9FWPC3/ref=psdc_1253823011_t1_B01N1IG2VN?th=1

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I’ll be looking into this extensively. Will let you know how I made out.

I wouldn't bother. You have good sight lines from the lower helm. It's easier to dock from below. The side door is a flush-step and the mid-ship cleat is right there.

Whether you have a single with a thruster, or twins, you won't really be using the wheel much. I dock with one foot inside and one foot outside. I have a single with a thruster and moved the thruster to the Stbd side, so the shifter and thruster can be accessed while basically standing on the side deck.

Partner on the stern should get used to calling distances (e.g. "5 feet and closing").

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom