Recoating a vinyl headliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Here are photos of before and after I used a product from Wood-n-Stuff to recoat my splotchy, 19-year-old cabin headliner. Their "Cream" was a perfect match for my boat. 12 ounces of product were needed to coat it twice for best look. Rather than the round sponge applicators the W-n-S owner sent along and recommended or the disintegrating foam brushes from Home Deposit, I found a 1.5" wide bristle brush to be exceedingly faster and less messy. Water cleanup made this product quite easy to handle.

Attachments

• DSC04553.JPG
    DSC04553.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC04554.JPG
    DSC04554.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 182
That looks like a big improvement!

Looks good, better than original.
To confirm you used a leather refinisher on what type material. I think mine are a vinyl of some kind and leather

It's a product intended for leather, but the proprietor as well as another Pilot owner said vinyl is no problem for this stuff.

I started this job at about 9 AM with the recommended W-n-S cleaning product. Waited and hour to dry before applying first coat. Went to lunch at 1130 and returned about 1300 to complete the second coat by 1400. Took this shot after 1800.
After wide.JPG

Very nice! Thanks for the post. I have the same type of vinyl headliner, so I will log this one away. Any chance you can take a picture of the product and confirm the type of bristle brush you used?

Greetings,
Mr. r. BIG improvement. Well done! Any concern about brush marks or slopping (NOT criticizing your skills) around light fixtures? What is the viscosity of this miracle product? Might it be sprayed on? Thanks.

Very nice! Thanks for the post. I have the same type of vinyl headliner, so I will log this one away. Any chance you can take a picture of the product and confirm the type of bristle brush you used?
I will get to that a bit later.

Greetings,
Mr. r. BIG improvement. Well done! Any concern about brush marks or slopping (NOT criticizing your skills) around light fixtures? What is the viscosity of this miracle product? Might it be sprayed on? Thanks.
I taped around the light pucks and other areas where my application skills would be challenged. :)

Viscosity like a vinyl paint or a bit looser.

Oddly enough the Home Deposit nylon brush left virtually no bristle streaks. Could it be something related to second coat - probably not.

Probably could be sprayed, but that would require a ton of prep and skills I don't possess.

Impressive! Your surface looked intact but tired, needing the refresh which you certainly achieved.
Wondered about mine, it`s peeling the top surface and sticky. Would it work, guessing not. I`m happy to get mine redone with new lining, but can`t get a quote("we`ll give you a price when we pull out all the panels")!,it`s hard to find anyone to do it. Luckily yours just needed a refinish.

Fortunately, yes, mine was intact with only a slight bit of peeling at a couple of joints. Doubt it will help in a situation with serious peeling. After helping my friend with his replacement headliner, I vowed I would never try to use the same method of installing the new material as original construction - it's just too brutally hard to accomplish. I would do something like I did on my Grand Banks using thin paneling fastened to the overhead with joints covered in varnished wood strips.

well I hope the party that asked about this a while ago will read this thread. Others have wondered about doing this, now you have lead the way.

I too have heard of "repainting" a headliner before, but I want to say what I heard had to do with possibly spraying it or using some sort of petroleum-based material, but a first-hand account and photos from another Piloteer was timed at a perfect time, when I looked up at the overhead to see the mess it was becoming.

Fortunately, yes, mine was intact with only a slight bit of peeling at a couple of joints. Doubt it will help in a situation with serious peeling. After helping my friend with his replacement headliner, I vowed I would never try to use the same method of installing the new material as original construction - it's just too brutally hard to accomplish. I would do something like I did on my Grand Banks using thin paneling fastened to the overhead with joints covered in varnished wood strips.
Yea, Rich, That is exactly what I did with my old Bluesea 43, thin paneling and wood trim piece, for the joints, with stainless screws and plastic screw covers so access to wiring was pretty simple to get to if need be......and it's always need be! :)

This was my Grand Banks headliner project....

Attachments

• Cabin headliner.JPG
    Cabin headliner.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 33
And here is the photo Mac2 asked for. I am sure a badge hair brush would have been nice, but for this application a cheap nylon bristle brush from Home Depot worked well. The small container to the left is the sample size you can order to check for color.

Attachments

• DSC04556.JPG
    DSC04556.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 60
I did a similar project on the v berth area in my boat. It was a dated, but intact vinyl material.
I used the product called rub n restore. Looks almost identical to the wood n stuff.
Applied with a sponge. Did a mix of color and clear for the last coat for extra protection. Area looks like brand new.
Even the vinyl that’s peeling might be able to be done. If it’s sanded first to get the loose stuff off it might work.
Look at the instructions on the website and you can see what’s possible.

Here are photos of before and after I used a product from Wood-n-Stuff to recoat my splotchy, 19-year-old cabin headliner. Their "Cream" was a perfect match for my boat. 12 ounces of product were needed to coat it twice for best look. Rather than the round sponge applicators the W-n-S owner sent along and recommended or the disintegrating foam brushes from Home Deposit, I found a 1.5" wide bristle brush to be exceedingly faster and less messy. Water cleanup made this product quite easy to handle.
Looks great!

Back
Top Bottom