Releasing a frozen window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scatterlings
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42C
Our new to us GB42. has a frozen large salon sliding window.

Has anyone got advice on how best to loosen it up prior to applying pressure to slide it?

Does warm water work for example?

I have had good luck with that style clamp from Harbor Freight. I used them to install triple (heavy!) windows. They had a very good grip.
Rob

Bongi,
Yes, water works wonders. Dirt and moss get in the window channels and "glue" them in place, try spraying into the edges from the outside with a hose. Sometimes a hand on each side (in and out,) lift/wiggle etc, helps. Once they move, open them fully and scrub the channels clean with a tooth brush and bleach water or simple green. You need to get creative to clean the area between the overlap with the fixed panes. Make sure that the drain tubes are clear. Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Thanks Scott.. definitely will give this a go. Just didn’t want to force it and potentially rip up some of the felt lining which still looks like it’s in good condition.

I spray a steam of Windex along the bottom channel on both sides. Wait a couple of minutes and Bob’s your Uncle. Works every time.

Thanks folks… will give these ideas a whirl.

Thanks Scott.. definitely will give this a go. Just didn’t want to force it and potentially rip up some of the felt lining which still looks like it’s in good condition.

I'm going to try the windex thing too. But I already ripped out some of the felt as it was just a grow medium for the moss.

51916471638_e6ba7501fc_o.jpg

My new slip in Stockton is covered, so this should not happen again - :)

Ok dude, that’s serious vegetation right there!

WD40 or any other moisture repelling light lubricant spray works too.

Thanks for the idea Bruce. Might that become a little sticky over time? I bought some dry graphite lubricant since it’s less likely to lose the ‘slip factor’???

Last edited:
Hehe, yeah! A little garden for sure. I dug the greenery out and noticed it looked like it had fabric for roots - :)

Oh well, just another thing to fix on the boat eh?

I've never needed to use my Harbor Freight window suckers on my windows. I use them when working from the dinghy on the side of the boat. Makes a nice handhold.

For window slots, shoot the slot with carpet cleaner. Let it dry (low power heat gun can help), vacuum, squirt in Dupont dry film (Teflon) lubricant. It leaves just a dry white powder. Powdered Graphite can cause a black Cat in the Hat problem.

Or use alfalfa seeds. The above picture shows that you could start a healthy window garden in the slots.

I would use a 4:1 mixture of olive oil to vinegar, mix well, apply sparingly and lightly toss with the greens. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Frozen Window

From painful experience I can tell you DO NOT use a tool to give it a little nudge. Like putting a screwdriver between the track and the glass. Instant crack. I sprayed silicone, let it sit and it slid open.

My "head guy" was onboard yesterday and I spent almost 4 hours learning more about the boat, shower sumps, bilge pumps, washdown pumps, windlass and other cool stuff.

He said it was getting warm, but he couldn't open the windows. So I got out the suckers that I had left on a previous visit when he wasn't there. Only 1 was needed and it opened all the windows with ease. Great tool to have on board - :)

A slippery product

Same problem… I found a spray product at Ace sold as a window lube for RVs. It helped a lot.

We had good luck rinsing the tracks and weather stripping material with vinegar and water or Salt Away. Then spraying Mary Kate Liquid Rollers on the felt/ weather stripping and slider tracks.

Same problem… I found a spray product at Ace sold as a window lube for RVs. It helped a lot.

If you could, what was this product?

And what drains are there for the window channels that we need to be sure that they drain. I don't know of any drains for the window channels or where they are, and how to know if they are unobstructed.

If you could, what was this product?

And what drains are there for the window channels that we need to be sure that they drain. I don't know of any drains for the window channels or where they are, and how to know if they are unobstructed.

The window drains on our’86 42Cl are at each end of the track. Just a hole which drains water to the outside under the trim. Easily cleared with a pipe cleaner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom