Remote Battery Disconnects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solstice1981

Vessel Name
Synergy
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 60
I recently had a full review of our electrical systems by a marine electrician and electrical systems engineer, They compiled a to do list for an electrical refit and update of our Grand Alaskan 60 systems. One item they pointed to was the addition of remote battery cut off switches for Gensets and both engines. For fire safety purposes. I am exploring EGIS designs. Does anyone on the forum know how these remote switches work? Is there a remote panel that goes to the bridge? If not what makes them any different than a fancy fuse?

Thanks

Wade Cordy

What do they mean by "remote"? Did they specify a distance (or location) the remote battery cut-off needs to be? I have battery cut-offs (4) for all my batteries , but they are all in the engine room.

I can't speak to EGIS. However, I installed a BlueSeas panel. It has remote shut offs for engine and house battery and is linked to an ACR. The panel has a switch that allows me to manually combine all batteries or isolate, or allow the ACR to handle the auto combine/isolate features.

Instead of the generator, I have the remote control for the ACR in the middle of the panel. I don't have a remote shut off for the generator, just the traditional rotary dial isolator switch.

What do they mean by "remote"? Did they specify a distance (or location) the remote battery cut-off needs to be? I have battery cut-offs (4) for all my batteries , but they are all in the engine room.

My remote switch panel is in the cabin beside the AC/DC breaker panel.

They are not installed its on the quote, I believe they goto a remote switch out side of the engine room in case of fire and you can't access the switches currently in place in real tight quarters in and around batteries and engines.

They are not installed its on the quote, I believe they goto a remote switch out side of the engine room in case of fire and you can't access the switches currently in place in real tight quarters in and around batteries and engines.
Ok. So sounds like a recommendation rather than a mandatory fix.

Without seeing the report I will guess you have manual shutoff in the ER, which if there were a fire you could not access. In any event we should all have fuses or breakers to protect wiring and prevent fires, so your recommendations are mute without context of the report.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom