Replacement of Trim Tab Buttons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nveater

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pathfinder
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
So in looking to spend more money on the boat, I was looking at the trim tabs. I have Bennett electrically operated trim tabs for my Mainship 30. They work fine but the buttons I push to activate the trim tabs is just a rocker switch- I would like to swap out that switch for a more modern version which has indicator light for the actual position of the tabs. I am curious to learn whether anyone has done this and if so the degree of difficulty and whether they were satisfied with the results. Thanks in advance.

From what I know you'll need to add the sensors to show tab position as your setup likely doesn't have them now. Bennett should have information on what it would take to update your controls, as they're still in business and still making many of the same components they've been making for years.

To get the tab position, you'll need to replace the top caps on the tab actuators. They sell a kit for that for under 100 bucks.

What they said, but just a little more involved because Mainship specified a reduced stroke actuator with their Bennett Tabs. Because of the deep forefoot on the "downeast" hull design Mainship chose to use restricted stroke actuators (1.75" instead of 2.5") to reduce the chances of overtrimming and creating "bow steer."

This is what you would normally get for this upgrade:

This kit has everything you need but the "top cap" sensor (upper hinge) will be sized for standard stroke actuators. You will need to purchase 2 new standard actuators as well, install the top cap sensors, then replace the actuators on the boat, run wires to the dash, install new control with position display.

When retracted both the reduced stroke actuators and the standard actuators are the same length, so it will be a direct replacement size wise. The difference is the internal stops to reduce stroke which does not effect retracted length.

Back
Top Bottom