replacing old windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leseas

Vessel Name
LeSeas
Vessel Make
30 Mainship II
Has anyone had any experience replacing a simpson- Lawrence windlass. This is on a 30 ft 2005 pilot II. From what I have read it is replaced by a lewmar v700.
Is this a DIY ?
Thanks

I replace a a Maxwell a few years ago. Larger than what you are looking at. Make sure you seal the the inside the hole with some resin.

BTW Welcome to TF

It can certainly be DIY. Are you somewhat handy and have tools? Basically remove the old windlass. You will probably have to drill some different holes unless you are very lucky. As said before seal the edges of any holes (the deck core) with epoxy so the deck coring doesn’t take on water and then rot. Close up any old unused holes. Put some kind of backing plate under the deck so the bolts don’t pull out. Make sure the current wiring is adequate in size to support the new windlass. Then have fun.

Curious why a 15 year old windlass needs replacing? Too small?

Just flat out stopped working. Thought it was electrical at first but after testing it seems the motor is seized.

If it is the motor, it can probably be rebuilt. It could be the gears stripped or jammed.

I teplaced my original Simpson Lawrence with a Lewmar 1000 Sport Fish with free-fall. After comparing them side by side and seeing that the Lewmar was identical except for the polished SS case I just dropped her down in the same holes.

One thing though, the Lewmar solenoid is a lightweight POS compared to the SL unit. If your solenoid is still good, keep it. About the easiest, most trouble-free swap I ever did on any boat. I’ve got the photos around here somewhere, let me know if you need them. I think the 700 series Lewmar unit is probably the same mounting pattern as the 1000.

Thank you all for the information. I think I will go ahead and replace. The unit I am looking at looks almost exactly like my current one.

A new motor is $3-400. A new windlass is $8-900.
It's probably a drop in replacement.
S/L & Lewmar windlassses are easy to take apart. Gears, gaskets and bearings are probably still available for most models. Bench test the motor.
A used S/L windlass less motor might sell for $100 or so on EBay.

When we bought our boat the PO and surveyor said the large Lofrans windlass did not work at all - got a discount for that. Turned out the motor connection contacts were just corroded. Works like a champ now. Give it a try. Good luck.

I can’t believe it’s shot so soon. Tear it apart and look for damage. Nothing to lose!

Never buy “marine” solenoids. Too much money and no better than the “other” kind. Just keep em dry like you would any electrical doodad.

Has anyone had any experience replacing a simpson- Lawrence windlass. This is on a 30 ft 2005 pilot II. From what I have read it is replaced by a lewmar v700.
Is this a DIY ?
Thanks

My 30-foot 2005 Pilot II has a V700 which I think replaced a Simpson Lawrence/Lewmar Sprint 600 (probably what you have) before I bought the boat. It certainly does not look to be a difficult job. Just be sure the master battery switch is off before beginning.

Thanks. was going to start yesterday but rain and thunder storms ended that. I will get started today. Looks like it will be pretty straight forward.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom