Rhode Island Sound cruising suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Newport has "Yachties"? It has yachts tied up and people aboard who might be nicely dressed and walking about but having been there by land and water over the last 5 decades I never saw a "Yachtie". There are great museums, restaurants, historical walking tours (even the Mansions are interesting piece of history) etc. If you have not been you should at least once.

I not from Newport or a Rhode Islander so I have no personal dog in this fight, but having been to a number of boat shows and coastal cities in the US, despite its reputation, I've never found Newport the least bit snobby or off-putting. In fact, we have done the Palm Beach International Boat Show just as one comparison and found the pretentiousness insufferable. We were dressed pretty well in Palm Beach and even asked for permission or appointments for a few boats (that were actually in our price range, like $500K and below, lest we waste anybody's time), but were allowed on almost none of the boats. I guess we didn't smell rich enough or hadn't filed our financial disclosures weeks in advance with the brokers. In Newport in contrast we were allowed on almost every boat we wished to visit, everybody was friendly to a person, we could score good dinner and lunch reservations, and one time were even invited to a historical society Christmas party at the Breakers by an insider/yachtie who was just being nice to out-of-towners. I grew up in the shadow of Yale, Dad went to Cheshire Academy, and I crashed my little wooden sailboat (by accident) into the Hepburn estate's breakwater at Fenwick, so I've rubbed elbows with my share of old-money New England snobiness, but contrary to its reputation, we've always found Newport to be thoroughly pleasant and fun and welcoming. YMMV - I guess.

Last year we went to Edgartown and anchored outside of town past the Chappy ferry. It was a good anchorage, but it was end of season and not many boats. We love Block Isl. I ran into a woman this morning with a Cuttyhunk shirt on and asked her about it. The inside harbor has a 50' limit, so we would need to anchor or get a mooring on the outside. No problem as long as the weather permitted.

Anchoring outside the harbor is excellent at Cuttyhunk.

Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA is a great stop that's rarely visited by cruisers. We stayed there 2 nights last year and had a blast touring the war ships. Also had a great meal at The Cove which was next door to the ships.

I’ll add Stonington CT just west and next door to Watch Hill. Deep anchorage and a 100 ft guest dock at Stonington Inn/ Waveside restaurant which is rarely full. Nice quaint historic seaside town with some good eats. Mystic Seaport next stop west- more crowded but quaint town with good shopping, restaurants , and homemade ice cream( Mystic Bridge Ice Cream). Stonington Inn a wonderful place to stay as well.

PS I found Watch Hill itself somewhat boring. The Ocean House is a beautiful hotel overlooking the water- for lunch or stay($$$$)… adjacent to Taylor Swift’s rocktop mansion. The harbor is small with limited/ no anchorage and the town is about T shirt shops, ice cream, a few burger joints and a parking nightmare. Okay for a two hour visit IMO.

Bristol town moorings can take large craft. Have seen 55’ cats there. Think the yacht club limits to 45’.

Newport after labor day is great.

+1 for Anthony’s also stop for a drink at White Horse tavern. Oldest continuously operating bar in the US. Blackbeard drank there

Bristol, visit the Herreshoff Museum - fascinating.

I’ll add Stonington CT just west and next door to Watch Hill. Deep anchorage and a 100 ft guest dock at Stonington Inn/ Waveside restaurant which is rarely full. Nice quaint historic seaside town with some good eats. Mystic Seaport next stop west- more crowded but quaint town with good shopping, restaurants , and homemade ice cream( Mystic Bridge Ice Cream). Stonington Inn a wonderful place to stay as well.

Unfortunately they raised the fee for a mooring (not a slip) to ~$100/d. Ridiculous. If you have a large good dinghy and weather permits would anchor out. Absolutely love Stonington. Delightful architecture and great restaurants. Particularly like the Mexican restaurant there which actually has Mexican food not the chain Mex Tex you see elsewhere. Interesting history as well and worth a walkabout. But mooring fees are prohibitive.

Port Judith is worthwhile as well. Trick is to continue inland pass the town and commercial docks. Once inland enough there’s multiple great anchorages with 360 protection. Waters are protected so a long dinghy ride isn’t a problem.

Last edited:
Bristol town moorings can take large craft. Have seen 55’ cats there. Think the yacht club limits to 45’.

Newport after labor day is great.

+1 for Anthony’s also stop for a drink at White Horse tavern. Oldest continuously operating bar in the US. Blackbeard drank there

It’s easy to anchor in multiple places. East of the museum is possible but we usually anchor just south of the channel before the mooring field. Multiple dinghy docks on the north side of the bay. Usually use the one near the ice cream shop and German restaurant or at the museum. Like museum one the best. We’re members there and it’s a place you can go back to multiple times and still have fun. Walk down the street with the red, white and blue center line ( especially on the 4th) great small shops and architecture. Their 4th parade is a blast.

Blackbeard? Anyone interested should learn more and perhaps visit Bath, NC, where Blackbeard was said to have lived on Plum Point (eastern tip at the mouth of Bath Creek), to have married a local gal, to have visited Bath at least 5 times (documented), and to have some of his loot found in the basement of the house of the Secretary to the Colonial Governor. (Some things rarely change....). Of course, your nautical charts have "Teach's Slew" or "Teach's Channel" near Ocracoke Inlet, and he was killed near there by the Royal Navy sent by Virginia Colonial Governor Spotswood. Why not North Carolina's Colonial Governor? See above note on Blackbeard's loot...... Bath, Edenton, New Bern, Ocracoke, the original Washington (1776) and many other places are loaded with nautical lore, pirate and other history, not to mention great waters for cruising, many undeveloped bays and shores (Rose Bay is a favorite), low transient fees, lower prices and less water traffic than the Chesapeake, etc. Come visit NC waters!

Usually use the one near the ice cream shop and German restaurant or at the museum.

Unfortunately, the German restaurant (Redlefesen's) is long gone, about 5 years now.

It's been replaced by Portside. While it's not a 'German' restaurant is is an excellent tavern/pub, the best draft beer selection in town, great food, and terrific views from the sidewalk tables and patio, looking out over the north side of the harbor. Portside is one of our favorites, we go often.

Unfortunately, the German restaurant (Redlefesen's) is long gone, about 5 years now.

It's been replaced by Portside. While it's not a 'German' restaurant is is an excellent tavern/pub, the best draft beer selection in town, great food, and terrific views from the sidewalk tables and patio, looking out over the north side of the harbor. Portside is one of our favorites, we go often.

Yup. Thanks for the reminder. The Tappen Zee is still the tapioca bridge to me and my kids not the Mario Coumo. As is Gayhead and so many other places. Oh well fart dust and proud of it.

Back
Top Bottom