Rudder Packing Nut size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bare Necessities

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bare Necessities II
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
Hi, I have a 1989 Carver Californian 48'. I am wondering if any of you know the correct size wrench for the rudder shaft packing nut. I would like to purchase the correct size wrench before I go back to the boat. I would prefer to buy a correct wrench rather than use channel locks or adjustable wrench. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
An end wrench would be really big, I don’t know how much room you have to swing one. I have used a plumber adjustable spanner wrench that is readily available at any hardware store. I usually tap the lock ring loose with a ball peen hammer while holding the packing gland nut with the spanner. Ideally it would be a short end wrench but I would think you would have to cut and shorten it yourself.

Attachments

• 1C56825F-E74B-4006-A42D-AF956E07E722.jpeg
    1C56825F-E74B-4006-A42D-AF956E07E722.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 30
We’ve been using a chain wrench. It has fit every boat we’ve owned.

Attachments

• C24428CD-B95A-49B4-8D62-FF2CFA5A9BBE.jpeg
    C24428CD-B95A-49B4-8D62-FF2CFA5A9BBE.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 25
An end wrench would be really big, I don’t know how much room you have to swing one. I have used a plumber adjustable spanner wrench that is readily available at any hardware store. I usually tap the lock ring loose with a ball peen hammer while holding the packing gland nut with the spanner. Ideally it would be a short end wrench but I would think you would have to cut and shorten it yourself.
Thanks, I had looked on line and they make packing nut wrenches that are short and stubby for that reason but the plumber wrench you have pictured would probably work. I knew just a regular end wrench would probably be too long in the confined space. I tried to measure the packing nut but wanted to confirm the size before ordering one, looks like 2" or 2 1/4" but the adjustable wrench may work. Thanks Charlie

We’ve been using a chain wrench. It has fit every boat we’ve owned.
Thanks, I may be able to use a chain wrench but was looking for the correct size for the confined space. It would probably be easier to turn. Thanks, Charlie

I have a pair made out of 3/8" plate. Flame cut carbon steel and filed to dimension then painted with hammerite. Farmerish, I know.

Would be easy to get a shop to waterjet a set out of SS plate. Right shop might not even be that expensive on a piece of scrap. Could store them right by the packing gland in the bilge.

Sounds like a great idea. For a quicker fix, I think I will pick up one of the plumbers wrench mentioned above. Looks like they would do the trick. Thanks, Charlie

Never could find a proper wrench for my 4" plus nuts. They are never too tight so I used plumbers wrenches with out messing up the nuts. Chain wrenches need two hands so it was tough with two nuts since i didn't want to stress the part mounted in the hose to the hull.

Thanks Bayview, I have ordered a plumber's wrench like above post mentioned. I think it will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom