Safely cruising into our 80s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorrie

We are looking for our next boat to live aboard at least half time. East Coast, Bahamas and the loop. Our last was an American Tug, but that’s not in the retirement budget. LOL. We would love the space on one of the sun deck trawlers, but I keep coming back to boats with a cockpit and transom door. It just seems safer when older to be able to stand securely in the cockpit when coming into a dock or picking up a mooring and not leaning over or trying to step off a high deck onto a low dock. And so much easier with dogs and groceries. Those of you cruising in your 80s, what are your thoughts?

I'm approaching this situation too. At this age, how far to travel in the boat is a fair question. I can only state the obvious which I'm pretty sure you already know. Have a plan for medical care diversions if necessary. Make sure the boat is up to the task and have a plan for contingencies and haulouts. Get your wife/other up to speed on handling the boat, docking and using the VHF. But having said all that, use the boat and have adventures to the extent your health and abilities will allow. Next year, you may not be able to. Sorry about not answering your more direct questions about transom doors, cockpits, etc which I'm sure would make things easier.

Last edited:
Cruising into your 80s safely and comfortably will depend on what you feel you need. It's a very personal decision based on your health, agility and other concerns.

We are in our 70s and recently purchased a boat with a transom door to the swim step and a strong bow thruster. These were so the line handler does not need to lean over, jump to the dock or run to the bow line. We also looked for a galley that was easier on the cook. Not so much bending over or kneeling to get to everyday things.

If money were no object I would add stabilization and remote controls to the check list. Stabilization reduces the likelyhood of falls underway. Remote controls allows the driver to easily pass dock lines to the line handler.

I would reject a sun deck boat. Getting down to handle the lines, pick up a mooring etc it too risky.

Back
Top Bottom