Salt? stains on windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Madrone
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 48 CPMY
1000018573.jpg

I'm looking for a product or procedure to get rid of windows stains. Only behind screens ( probably due to infrequent cleaning)
Regular cleaners don't even touch them. Ideas?

Could be calcium stains. Try vinegar on a small section. If it works, clean with a diluted version, but don't let it get on any other material. A little exaggerated, but I use vinegar like a natural acetone. Works great for getting epoxy off your hands etc. without the dangerous effects of acetone absorbing into your skin.

PS Let the vinegar stand for a little bit to break down the calcium

Have you tried white vinegar? If that doesn't work or is too slow, you can get a more concentrated version of vinegar from homedepot (Harris 128 oz. 30% Vinegar All Purpose Cleaner Concentrate VINE30-128 - The Home Depot). I use it to remove mineral deposits and salt on my awlcraft painted hull. I found that regular vinegar wasn't strong enough and took too long while the 6X strength was too strong and took off the paint if I wasn't really fast to spray if off after wiping. I think standard vinegar is around 5%. I found around 10% worked well for my application. YMMV There is nothing else that I've found that will easily remove the dried on minerals on the paint. I've never tried it on glass, but if what's in the picture doesn't wash off with water and a sponge or if it reappears after it dries off, what you have maybe similar to my glossy paint after many days of running and anchoring without the ability to clean it off until I reach port.

try glass stovetop cleaner. I've used it on boat windshields.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom