Satellite TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Senojev

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sir Tugley Blue
Vessel Make
2010 Nordic Tug - 2010
After missing the 2020 cruising season in the NE USA, it looks like our KVH M1 is obsolete with DirecTV no longer supporting standard definition TV. It has been tough to confirm this with KVH tech support so far but DirecTV indicates the receiver no longer works and the M1 cannot support any of the HD receivers.

Can anyone with better knowledge confirm the M1 is obsolete?

If so, I’m looking at upgrading with either of the two lower end KVH TV1 or Intellian satellite dishes. I have DirecTV at home so would not be too interested in changing service to DISH. Any input the TF members have would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance

This seems to get confusing and i am not sure what really is the answer so hopefully someone will chime in. I to have direct tv at home and use it in my motorhome but they are both using conventional dishes. With the boat i was told the intelion would support both but direct had moved most channels to a band they had exclusive use of and that band is what is not supported. Dish network has worked fine with the intellion though it is a little slower unit. I ended up with a $65.00 plan so currently use dish in the boat,direct tv in the motorhome and comcast at the house.

We have DTV at home, and pay for the extra add on at the boat.

Have an Intellian I3 Dish, for SD. I was told the Intellian is a better product than KVH, but I don't know that for sure as there seem to be a lot of people out there with KVH and no complaints. Customer service at Intellian (local in SoCal) is very good if you have technical questions. The last time I called about 3 years ago I spoke to a sharp guy who was likely an engineer or Tech.

It generally works ok, but DTV (ATT) service and customer support is terrible. The word is ATT wants to unload the business, and have not put any money in to the systems, support, etc for years.

I have been considering switching to Dish.

Not sure if any of this is helpful to your question...I am rambling.

After missing the 2020 cruising season in the NE USA, it looks like our KVH M1 is obsolete with DirecTV no longer supporting standard definition TV. It has been tough to confirm this with KVH tech support so far but DirecTV indicates the receiver no longer works and the M1 cannot support any of the HD receivers.

Can anyone with better knowledge confirm the M1 is obsolete?

If so, I’m looking at upgrading with either of the two lower end KVH TV1 or Intellian satellite dishes. I have DirecTV at home so would not be too interested in changing service to DISH. Any input the TF members have would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance

I have an old standard definition KVH dome. I purchased the boat last year and hooked it up to DirecTV. No problems with the service. Eventually I'll spring for an HDTV dish but for as long as this works I am sticking with it.
~A

As long as it works keep using the M1. No one should buy an M1 at this time, new or used, it will become obsolete.

I’m not sure I would purchase an Intellian at this time as I think Star Link is going to make Sat TV obsolete in the next 5 years.

Last month my Direct TV analog boxes with KVH 4 units stopped receiving channels. I called them to reactivate the boxes as I have done in the past. This time they said they could't do it, the analog signal will be totally discontinued soon and the boxes are obsolete. I told them the only reason I have Direct TV at home was to use it on the boats, but while the guy on the phone was genuinely sorry, nothing could be done. Their decision is saving me $200 per month now that I canceled Direct TV.

On the boats, I now use a local tv antenna and a Roku with wifi from my cell phone. Obviously no good for offshore, but honestly, 99% of the time I have a cell signal.

Does anyone know what the status is with the Dish Network and their analog signals working with older KVH's?

I replaced my M7 years ago when Direct stopped transmitting HD on the Ku band. All HD was on Ka, which my M7 couldn't handle. I replaced the M7 with the comparably sized Intellian HD. Purely annecdotal, but I find that the Intellian is much more reliable, and much easier to "reset" when it runs into trouble.

Back
Top Bottom