Seatalk-2 vs Seatalk-NG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
A friend is having some trouble with the integration of his Raymarine E120 (Classic) and Simad NSE12 via a DeviceNet-type NMEA 2000 bus.

The Raymarine is tied directly to his radar and autopilot. The simrad is tied directly to his sounder. The Raymarine is tied to the NMEA 2000 network via its Seatalk2 interface. The Simrad is tied to the NMEA 2000 network via its Simnet interface. The NMEA 2000 bus is properly terminated. Originally, the source of GPS data was a Raymarine RS120 GPS receiver attached to a NMEA 0183 port on the Raymarine.

Reportedly, things worked fine for years with depth data and engine monitoring data making their way from the NMEA 2000 bus into the Raymarine and with gps data being relayed by the Raymarine from its NMEA 0183 port out its Seatalk2 port to the Simrad. Although engine data likely was also available on the Simrad, this was never done, so never proven.

The initial problem was that GPS positioning data would periodically disappear, and the availability seemed to be om a rapidly downward trend. He purchased a new, old stock RS120 from eBay and I put it in for him, exactly replacing the original. It reportedly worked well for a while, until it, too, became unstable and on a downward trend.

At this point I found the RS120 to be very hot and moved it to a cooler, more ventilated section of the console. That may have fixed the problem with that gps receiver. Time will tell.

Using an appropriate converter cable, I also put a Raymarine RS150 NMEA 2000 GPS onto the NMEA 2000 bus and selected it as the source for positioning data on the Simrad.

Here is where things got crazy. It showed up as a source, but then grayed out and showed no data. In debugging it, I realized that it worked as long as the Raymarine wasn't connected to the NMEA 2000 bus. Further experimentation showed that it worked, even when the araymarine was connected, except after the Raymarine did some initalization of some kind. It worked during reboots and while searching for NMEA 2000 devices, got example.

I would have thought that the Seatalk2 port was messing up the
NMEA 2000 network, except that depth and engine data was still moving onto the Raymarine from the NMEA 2000 bus via the Seatalk2 connection and onto the Simrad via the Somnet connection, and GPS data was still moving from the RS120 (even though it wasn't selected, I could see the data in debug.

Things are working fine now with Seatalk2<-->NMEA-2000 disconnected, with the limitation that depth and engines can't be monitored on the Raymarine. Each unit now had its own GPS receiver.

I don't have any sort of mental model for why things didn't work fully integrated. I know Seatalk2 isn't considered to be full NEMA 2000 capable, that it was designed to allow the use of engine monitoring and certain other NMEA 2000 devices, only, not the full set. But I always understood that to mean that it could handle a limited number of PGNs. I don't understand how it is messaging up the NMEA 2000 GPS, nebermond without messing up other NMEA 2000 devices.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thabks!
-Greg

Last edited:
On GPS, there may be some issues as to source selection, when more than one source is available. This is true even on much newer Raymarine stuff. I don't know the details on how other manufacturers handle it. The symptoms you describe sound like that. With modern N2K there is supposed to be source selection, but the older stuff doesn't respect it and spews data anyway. Then things receiving the data get confused.

I was able to select the source on the Simrad. The GPS was discoverable before what seemed to be the Raymarine initializing the Seatalk2 interface. But then it went grey and coukd be selected or deselect, but seemongly stopped providing data or, at least, the expected PGNs in a properly formatted way.

I didn't realize that there was a seatalk2, It must be specific to the Raymarine E series. I have a an earlier version Raymarine MFD with seatalk1, that I use for Radar. I also have a complete Seatalkng and N2k network that has several GPS sources, AIS, AP, and sounder info. The old MFDs can display all the info on the N2k that is connected to the seatalk1 input via Raymarine seatalk1 to seatalkng converter. The converter may have a more robust PGN to NMEA183 conversion library then that of embedded seatalk2 connection. The only other thing is to make sure that e series has the latest software update.

I didn't realize that there was a seatalk2, It must be specific to the Raymarine E series. I have a an earlier version Raymarine MFD with seatalk1, that I use for Radar. I also have a complete Seatalkng and N2k network that has several GPS sources, AIS, AP, and sounder info. The old MFDs can display all the info on the N2k that is connected to the seatalk1 input via Raymarine seatalk1 to seatalkng converter. The converter may have a more robust PGN to NMEA183 conversion library then that of embedded seatalk2 connection. The only other thing is to make sure that e series has the latest software update.

Thanks, ka_sea_ta!

It wouldn't be puzzling me if the Raymarine wasn't processing n2k data. It wouldn't even be puzzling me if it were choking on it.

What is puzzling me is thst it is causing another device on the n2k network to not receive or choke on an n2k message from a 3rd source.

I may be able to put a CAN analyzer on this and see what is going on, but I don't have it with me at the moment, and not sure if seeing it will help fix it, or even what's normal.

I think I remember hearing that Seatalk2 was done at the requeat of a new boat manufacturer thst wanted to integrate engine monitoring, so Raymarine added that, as well as limited support for the PGNs used by whatever relatively few n2k devices they had at the time, including depth, just for some level of completeness.

Raymarine used SeaTalk 2 on the C series also but it’s key limitation was support for a limited number of PGNs. If you can find the old documentation it listed the PGNs it supported.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks! But any idea why it is interfering with the other MFD's ability to use the independent GPS device? Or how to get around that?

One probable cause would be the old Raymarine transmitting on top of the other GPS source. NMEA 2000 is a single network where each device has to negotiate time to transmit with every other device based on the priority of the PGN it wants to send. Don’t ask me how that works but it does. The Raymarine being a very early implementation of NMEA 2000 isn’t very good at waiting. I would go into the setup and start turning off PGNs until the other GPS/MFD combination works.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks!

Sadly, I can't find any ST2 configuration on the Raymarine, just 0183. So, I see how to choose 0183 sentences, but not n2k PGNs.

STB,

You are challenging my memory since it was 15 years ago I was dealing with this.
Sounds like the only way to possibly solve this is to disconnect the ST2 interface and use a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter. At $200-$250, it may not be worth it.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I know. UT is one...from...the ages.

The challenge with using an 0183 converter is that, to my memory, 0183 doesn't have any sentences for engine monitoring, e.g. rpm, so I don't think those can be usefully converted. Too bad we can't just repurpose the Loran sentences! I'd almost need some type of programmable n2k buffer or firewall.

I'm trying to understand if this behavior is correct or not? Because I do have a spare E120 stored away thst I can dig out if it is broken...injust don't want to do that if it'll do the same thing.

L

Greg,

Since the goal is to display engine data on the Raymarine MFD, I see several options to think of:

a. Disconnect the old NMEA 0183 GPS and replace it with a NMEA 2000 GPS. There are several available and it would have a higher refresh rate and better accuracy as it would use more satellites to determine its position. Probably under a $300 option and if the E120 is ever replaced it is still usable. If the old NMEA 0183 GPS is the problem disconnect it to see if it everything works correctly making this maybe the best choice.
b. Find a used Raymarine MFD of a later generation with STng to replace the E120 if it’s compatible with the existing radar and transducer. Probably match more expensive than a GPS antenna.
c. Look for a NMEA 2000 instrument or 7 inch MFD to use as an instrument display if you have room at the helm. Most of these will have an internal GPS and and can be set to show engine data.

Good luck.

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks so much for the ideas!

a. I did install a N2k GPS. It is the device that disappears from the network when the Raymarine E120 is attached to it via the E120's Seatalk2 interface. Right now, with the E120 off of the n2k network, it is getting GPS from the 0183 gps and the Simrad is getting it from the n2k gps. The E120 is, unfortunately, not getting the engine or depth data without this connection -- but the Simrad NSE12 is.

b. If this is expected behavior from the E120, replacing it with a newer model might make sense. If this example is broken, replacing it with the like-kind spare (which will take some effort to dig out) makes sense.

c. The vessel has an independent instrument monitor with display. It is what is producing the n2k stream of engine data. The owner of the vessel prefers to additionally have it displayed on the Raymarine, because it means he doesnt have to look down and it is where he is accustomed to seeing it, how he is accustomed to seeing it.

Thanks again!
-Greg

Back
Top Bottom