Senior Life-long Sailor Considering "Going-to-the-Darkside" ;-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BuffMan

(Please don't get mad at me for reference to the Darkside) ... I know I'm soon reaching physical limitations to continue hoisting sails, etc., so we are considering purchase of Cutwater 28 family cruiser to base on our beautiful Lake Dillon at 9000 ft. in Colorado.

Would sincerely welcome advice & tips from former senior sailors who have "made the move".

Thank you!

Welcome aboard - Dillon used to have an active Star fleet that I used to crew on. Can get some crazy winds in the afternoon. Last I saw, Dillon was a bit dry. Hope the water level improved.....

I'm sure you'll get some great feedback. There are quite a few people here looking at small trawlers.

Peter

For that size boat I would be looking for an outboard powered one. Lower cost and easy to maintain. Some of the traditional downeast builders are now offering outboard versions.

Family cruiser? How many? All I have seen only sleep two in the v berth.

David

Not sure what the priority uses are for you next boat. That may determine hull designs for shallow water beach approaches, lots of rocks may suggest a protected prop, fishing may lean towards certain cockpit layout, duration of time aboard may warrant certain head and other facilities, etc......

One thing I would check for sure, whatever powerplant you choose, check the manufacturer directly if able to advise on 9000 ft altitude restrictions or adjustments. Just because others don't care or ignore, warranty issues can come up. I would NOT trust boat dealers (even many of their mechanics) blindly without research backup on their "opinions".

Hmmm, never considered what to do about operating an engine at 9000 feet. Probably won’t affect a diesel because they always run on excess combustion air.

But a gasser would definitely require some adjustments, although EFI could do that automatically.

David

Hmmm, never considered what to do about operating an engine at 9000 feet. Probably won’t affect a diesel because they always run on excess combustion air.

But a gasser would definitely require some adjustments, although EFI could do that automatically.

David
Sounds like you are correct...EFI should handle it but there is some loss in HP, but not as bad as carbed engines. Maybe a different prop if your boat is already a bit underpowered.

Colorado seems to sell different octane gas than back east so that is something to consider in the research too.

I just remember reading through the years of all the different things one has to consider when operating in more extreme environments. When I was preparing my new to me RV for my trip out west this summer into the higher altitudes, many of my manuals discussed what I needed to do or at least consider. Fortunately with the newer equipment, it wasn't much, just wanted to make sure I didn't damage anything or void warranties.

Here are some tips from Mercury Marine.... Prep Your Boat for High Elevations | Mercury Marine

(Please don't get mad at me for reference to the Darkside) ... I know I'm soon reaching physical limitations to continue hoisting sails, etc., so we are considering purchase of Cutwater 28 family cruiser to base on our beautiful Lake Dillon at 9000 ft. in Colorado.

Would sincerely welcome advice & tips from former senior sailors who have "made the move".

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom