Shipyard Drama - Advice Appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Resolution

Thanks again for all the replies everyone.

When the yard owner realized I wasn't going away we settled for 10% over the original estimate. Here's a few quotes from his final email, cut & pasted exactly as sent:

"Sir,

We will comply with your extortionist demand for rebate..."

"We would absolutely prevail in a court of law.(please google me) if we pursued collection". [note; the invoice was paid in full upon leaving the yard]

"My team was exemplary in this matter. You were not".

"Please do not attempt to visit our Boatyard as you are permanently on the do not service list which we willingly share with our fellow boatyards in the south sound".

"In short…. my team has rigorously tried to mitigate this situation… to no avail".

"Please do not text, email or otherwise contact me with your threats or accusations". [note; the only "threat" I ever made was promising he could bet the farm this would resolve in my favor].

Etc.

Sour grapes. I'm curious to see how things work out for this relatively new yard owner in our little town. I noticed the 'Google reviews' for the business are pretty good and yet I've talked to many people the last 2 weeks that have had a similar bad experience at this yard - Are folks in tight-knit communities hesitant to write a bad review?

Bottom line; if you decide to do business at Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard - Be Careful.

Maybe the fact that you were doing your own work was reason enough for being expected to pay for haul and storage?

That is kind of the point I was making, which I why I disclosed it.

It dose not matter if GHM&B was right. That email is a clear statement to the public that they don’t care about the customer or the image they project.

I sincerely hope you posted their words verbatim if not I would find that very slanderous.

It is possible that their location allows them to burn the customer base with out worry but for those of us who pay attention we have certainly been put on notice.

The proper response would have been. While we don’t agree with your assessment of the situation we will meet your request in an effort to maintain good customer relations. We reserve the right to refuse future work.

Again, recognizing there are three sides to every story, if these are actual quotes, oh brother (palm slap to forehead). I have delivered several customer service and communication seminars at the industry trade event called IBEX, this could be a case study; so many easily avoidable errors, and trust me I know, I ran yards for 12 years, and a mobile service business for 6, and made most of the customer service mistakes one can make.

First, as a business person, never ever put anything in writing, especially an email, that you don't expect to have splashed across a a website. Second, if you are going to concede, do so with a smile, and professionally, so you at least have half a chance of the customer saying, "well, they screwed up but made it right in the end, I really appreciate that", rather than, "I had to force them to give me 10%, and then they black listed me, I'd never go back and you shouldn't either".

I tell my seminar attendees, 'failures are an opportunity to shine, those who have had issues resolved to their satisfaction are far more likely to tell others their story, as opposed to those who had things done right the first time'.

I would never say, especially in writing, "We reserve the right to refuse future work", that too sounds disgruntled, and it's probably stating the obvious. While I have rarely fired customers, in this case, as a yard owner, I'd be doing everything to try to make this right, including saying, "I hope you'll give us another chance".

Finally, and I emphasize this in lectures, as a service provider it's not about being right, it's about being profitable, you are striving for customer loyalty, not being on the winning debate team, swallow your pride.

A few lectures this yard's management would benefit from attending...

The Case for Fixed Price Quotes

Do you like arguing with customers about invoices after a project or repair is complete?* Do you enjoy crediting a bill because a customer is irate about the bill?* If the answer is no, then you are a prime candidate for this seminar, as it will teach you what you need to know about fixed price quoting.* The most common source of boat owner frustration and dissatisfaction is unknown costs.* Providing quotes eliminates the bulk of billing disputes, while simplifying billing format. *As the decade-long manager of a boat yard that quoted 85% of the work it carried out, Steve is uniquely qualified to introduce attendees to the most essential components of building a successful quoting program, one that will increase efficiency, and profitability while minimizing customer dissatisfaction and disputes.

Developing Customer Confidence through Improved Communication

Whether you’re a boatyard manager, a subcontractor, or service writer, the first step toward guaranteeing customer satisfaction is effective communication. In this presentation you’ll learn how to manage your customers’ expectations from the first phone call or e-mail through project completion. My emphasis will cover both communication protocol and communication skills. You’ll discover how to build customer confidence by establishing a policy of explaining procedures in the yard; and by relying on standard, understandable definitions for essential terms such as estimates, quotes, T&M, cost-plus, list, and cost. I’ll also provide guidelines for avoiding and resolving billing disputes, including how to deliver more than you promise.

Customer Care

Customer care; it’s something every business owner and manager recognizes as critically important, but what exactly does it mean and how do you make it outstanding and memorable?* More importantly, how do you craft it to ensure your customers’ satisfaction and, above all else, loyalty?* Your goal, after all, is to make sure your customers return year after year.

In this presentation, delivered by Steve D’Antonio, former boat yard manager with over a decade of experience in the field of customer care, as well as Professional BoatBuilder Magazine’s Technical Editor and marine industry consultant,* you’ll learn how to anticipate, understand and deliver on the needs of your customers’.* How, for instance, do you make certain customers leave your yard or business brimming with satisfaction, and tell their friends and dock mates about their experience?* Or, how do you communicate, from the very first contact through completion of a project, in a manner that instills confidence in your customers, providing them with the information they need, while economizing on the volume of communication you must provide.** Steve will also cover methods of avoiding conflicts and misunderstandings, as well as how to deal with them quickly and effectively, while winning back the customer’s confidence and loyalty, in many cases more than if the conflict had never occurred.* Finally, Steve will cover common phrases and words to use, as well as those that should be avoided, in the customer care process.

Customer Care Continued

With over a decade of experience managing boat yards, as well as author and consultant with nearly 30 years of experience in the field of customer care, Steve will detail for attendees what’s needed to ensure technical proficiency, as well as how to educate customers and deliver on their needs, while avoiding surprises and common customer care pitfalls.* How, for instance, do you make certain your customers aren’t surprised with unforeseen costs, thereby avoiding disputes and dissatisfaction?* Or, how do you communicate in a manner that instills confidence in your customers, providing them with the information they need, while economizing on the volume of communication you must provide?* This is a must attend seminar for those on the customer care front lines and anyone who comes into contact with customers, from service managers and technicians to those in sales and support roles.

It dose not matter if GHM&B was right. That email is a clear statement to the public that they don’t care about the customer or the image they project.

I sincerely hope you posted their words verbatim if not I would find that very slanderous.

It is possible that their location allows them to burn the customer base with out worry but for those of us who pay attention we have certainly been put on notice.

The proper response would have been. While we don’t agree with your assessment of the situation we will meet your request in an effort to maintain good customer relations. We reserve the right to refuse future work.

Not to be nick picking, but the term would be libelous, not slanderous, since it is the written word that is being used here, not the spoken word.

I 100% agree with what you stated above in the underlined portion. The yard made mistakes, but it was totally in their power to make this situation a win for them, as Steve also stated.

They had two potential take aways from this situation:

1) We made mistakes, but made it right in the end! :thumb:

or the route they appeared to take:

2) We got caught violating our own written policies, as well as State Law, and we don't appreciate the customer bringing it to our attention! So we'll never do business with that customer ever again! So there! :nonono:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom