Shrunken Bimini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xfirepop

Vessel Name
Saltwaters Dream
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44
I had to make a new base to hold the rear bottom of my eisenglass because 40 yrs was just too much for the doug fir from the factory. In order to make the new base I had to pull the brace supports for the bimini. I fabricated the beautiful new mahogany base and went to attach the supports...they longer fit. While released for 2 weeks the fabric relaxed and now I end up with braces that won't fit and zippers that tear out.
Has anyone found a way to stretch out the fabric? It's in good shape just smaller!

Wet it down thoroughly and stretch it back to size.
Let it dry while stretched out.

If there are fittings that slide on the main bow ( that hold the bow with shorter legs) you can loosen them and de-tension the top. Put all the fasteners together and then work those slides back into place.
When you put the top back together after it’s been apart, only start all the zippers. Don’t close them till all the panels are connected use a product like zippycool to lube the zippers, that’ll help reduce the pressure it takes to close the zips.

They make snap extenders. Here are some on Amazon.

Boat Cover Snap Extender for Boat Canvas,Boat Cover Extensions,Black,Extension Sizes from 1" - Built in Finger Loops,10 Packs

Thanks for the responses !! I knew I could rely on you guys for help. I'll give the water, zipper lube and possibly the snap extenders. I do tend to go for over kill on any repair job. I'll post results.

You didn't say how the enclosure fastens to the top. If zippers at the top, get anybody with a machine to sew one zipper right alongside the existing one. Picture a double barrel shotgun like RR tracks. #10 zips are 1.5 " and that's what you'll gain each side. If that is enough, if it stretches just take out one. Cheap. Easy.
Not remove top, still seals at zippers

Back
Top Bottom