simple scuba setup for emergency.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a 7 mtr hose made up and I just put the tank on the back platform or hang it off the side of the boat in the middle about 1mtr down and I can reach nearly all of the hull for a clean or inspection.
Less cumbersome than putting all the kit on.

I will grant that if you are working on your boat in 15' of water there is very little risk with a hookah set up...

The pressure gradient from 15 ft to the surface is the largest there is and has the highest risk from over-pressurization injuries. Holding your breath and going from 65' to 50' probably won't hurt you. 15 to the surface absolutely will. Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soap box. I've seen too many accidents happen near the surface. But I'll cast another vote for training prior to equipment.

Simple Scuba Setup+

I used to carry Scuba with a short tank. But I recently noticed that a commercial diver cleaning boat bottoms was using an oil-less compressor. When he surfaced he showed me how he had modified the regulator by removing the second stage. I made the mods to my regulator, installed an air filter in the line and changed the fitting on the hose to connect to the compressor. I now have a hassle free-rig that lets me clean the bottom and remove pot lines when needed. BTW, the diver was a retired navy salvage diver so he knew what he was doing.

So i discovered i grabbed a crab pot line on my shaft when looking with my go pro. I had a diver come and remove it but it was like if the water wasn't so cold i would have just jumped in and removed the line. It got me thinking about simple diving setups mainly some suit to keep me from freezing. I could just hold my breath but a small tank would be nice. Has anyone played with this type of thing.
I am not looking at diving any lower then the keel or out in the open.
Thoughts??

Check on a Brownie. Its good to 25-30' for quick repairs, cleaning the hull and a little fun. gas powered air supply in a tube, tethers to the boat. The dive suits is a bigger issue. 7Mil for Los Angeles south. Dry suits in SF bay or north, 3Mil baja south

My hack was appealing because I already owned a portable compressor and the Scuba regulator. Very low buck solution.

Get in your wet suit and take a hot
shower. You will never feel the cold water. The diving course is a great idea. Lots of ways to get hurt using compressed air for diving

We have used a “Spare Air” on several occasions. It is a small tank about 11 inches long with a mouthpiece. With controlled breathing it will give you about four minutes of air. It is intended as an emergency tank for divers. I have not had trouble getting it filed from a dive shop. It can be filled from a regular dive tank. For cutting a fouled line free it is perfect. Yes, use safety precautions and no weights, but for abut $200, it has helped us several times.

If I were you, I would not get scuba gear. Get an appropriate wet suit and weight belt. Make sure you know how to use the weight belt. You will not need a BC if you're only going keel depth. I would recommend wearing an old bicycle helmet so you don't get a concussion if the hull (or the running gear) drops on your head due to a passing wake, waves or swell.

Full scuba is good for checking the anchor or freeing the rode if needed. However, I would suggest you get certified if you go that route.

If the goal is to get to the bottom of the boat. The diver is going to need weights. I find weights with out training to be a dangerous combination. I will grant that if you are working on your boat in 15' of water there is very little risk with a hookah set up. What if an inexperienced diver jumps in with 50' water? Does he have the training to get air into his suit before the hookah is yanked out of his mouth from being dragged down by to much weight. Does he know the correct procedure for dumping weight?

I'm not asking for much here. Just a few hours of safety training before messing about in a potentially dangerous setting.

My thought process is #1 you know the amount of weight you will need to become neutral with just a wet suit and gear. #2 you prefill a BC and adjust in the water while still connected to the boat. You don't plan to go to the bottom generally, you just need to get under the boat. I have done it with just a wet suit free diving. A line tightly wrapped around prop and shaft and up into the cutlass bearings. Took me 2.5 hours including three long rest periods to keep from throwing up all the salt water I was drinking by having to come up and breathe. And yes it was rough so I was getting pounded by the shafts, struts, props, and swim platform. Plus, I'm 70 years old. I did not even use weights as I needed to be up against the boat anyway. Man, if I had a hookah or small tank system, it would have made a big difference. I'm going to buy something. I was certified in about 1964. That was before NAUI and PADI. And for those doing math in your heads, yes I lied about my age. So now I would have to get recertified to refill tanks? Damn.

If using a hookah, especially, take a knife with you.\

Hoses have bad habits of getting stuck on things like running gear...

I have dove for over 50 years. I even spent some time commercial diving. For 28 years I carried all my gear on my commercial fishing vessels. I only used the gear once in those years to remove a lead line from my shaft after limping into a harbour. I broke three large knives cutting the line out, finally going to a hacksaw to finish the job and pretty much burned up a full tank of air.

I now pleasure boat and do not carry any diving gear aboard other than mask and flippers. I would not consider going under my vessel to remove a line unless I had no other choice. Rather just hire the job done, if possible.

But, please, do not even consider diving with compressed air without taking a basic course. Even, diving in shallow water can be extremely dangerous without the basic knowledge!

I have dove for over 50 years. I even spent some time commercial diving. For 28 years I carried all my gear on my commercial fishing vessels. I only used the gear once in those years to remove a lead line from my shaft after limping into a harbour. I broke three large knives cutting the line out, finally going to a hacksaw to finish the job and pretty much burned up a full tank of air.
The perfect case for a hookah

I now pleasure boat and do not carry any diving gear aboard other than mask and flippers. I would not consider going under my vessel to remove a line unless I had no other choice. Rather just hire the job done, if possible.

But, please, do not even consider diving with compressed air without taking a basic course. Even, diving in shallow water can be extremely dangerous without the basic knowledge!

All good I guess as long as you never venture far. and have a tonne of money.

Last edited:
An alternative way to get to the fouled prop

I have done the diving twice both in Maine and is not fun, can be dangerous and we are not getting any younger.
I have an alternative way. It requires a dinghy. Basically, consist of using a water drone to understand the fouling situation and help you to direct (from your dinghy) a long pole with a serrated knife at the end (like the one used for trimming trees). That way you see what you are cutting and you don’t need to get into the water. The water drones are anywhere from 600-2000 bucks but the simplest will do the job. Nice new technology.

When I was buying a longer hose for my hookah, I asked if one needs to be certified to buy a hookah. I was told, 'not necessary but encouraged to take classes.'

Last time I took my tanks in and hydro, I was never asked if I was certified.

The pressure gradient from 15 ft to the surface is the largest there is and has the highest risk from over-pressurization injuries. Holding your breath and going from 65' to 50' probably won't hurt you. 15 to the surface absolutely will. Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soap box. I've seen too many accidents happen near the surface. But I'll cast another vote for training prior to equipment.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd have thought your lungs were sensitive (for rupture) only to absolute pressure difference. I can blow about 3 psi on a gage. Any more than that I assume might do damage.

The absolute pressure difference in an ascent through 15' of water is the same no matter the depth - about 7 psi. The pressure change is due to the weight of the column of water, and 15' of water is the same anywhere. The percentage change in pressure will be greater near the surface, but you lungs deal in absolute differences, not percentages.

So don't hold your breath going up 15', from 15' deep or 65' deep. You should expect the results to be similar.

I have always had both a 2 mil and 4 mil wetsuit primarily for the reason of having to snorkel in to cut line off my running gear or for some other related function such as a routine inspection of the hull. Even to brush off light growth. I have cleaned fouled props and rudders using a snorkel, but honestly it is a terrible job to do.

Last year I went to a dive shop, who set up a hookah with 25 feet of hose to a large scuba tank. This worked really well to clean some really bad props, struts and rudders. The tank gave me plenty of air to finish the job and it was so much easier than going up for air with a snorkel. The only problem I see with my set up is getting the tank refilled. I thought that were dive shop's all over within the various ports we travel to. Not the case. So I would probably would go with the compressor style (although very pricey).

The experience did turn me into considering actually scuba diving. I discussed that with dive shop and will probably go for lessons and certification this upcoming season.

So far I've only once wrapped rope around the prop, and was able to cut it free with just a mask. Don't try it in rough water.

I used a hookah for bottom and prop cleaning and find they work well. I just don't have the space on the boat for more accessories.

I've had this Hookah for years (I am certified but haven't dived with tanks for 20 years). I use it probably 3 times a year for getting lines off the props, checking the running gear, and freeing a stuck anchor. I also sometimes use it in the Bahamas for pleasure diving by putting the pump in the dinghy and pulling the dinghy anchor with me. I've never gone deeper than 20ft with it - usually more like 10ft. In almost 10 years it's needed no maintenance and takes up very little storage space.

https://www.seabreathe.com/products/single-diver-deck-unit

As I cruise in cold water Maine (with many lobster pots) I also carry a wetsuit (3MM for summer). As well as a hood. As I have a line cutter on the prop I always wear kevlar kitchen gloves in case I brush against it.

I also carry a Hook Knife. If you put it on a boathook, you can often clear a line on the prop from the dinghy or reaching under while swimming beside the boat. You don't have to be able to see the line, just feel around and give the hook knife a good jerk.

https://www.sailorssolutions.com/?page=ProductDetails&Item=CH03

Last edited:

DITTO
I did light commercial diving
I am certified
I have used dry suits extensively

Please do not use any compressed air source without proper training

This is no where near the same as recreational snorkeling on some beautiful reef.

Work diving gets physically stressful under the best of conditions.

Just a quick FYI. The water temps in Puget Sound are about 44 - 68 degrees F, depending on time of year. If you haven't experienced trying to operate in cold water, you're in for a real treat. If you have then, you already know what to wear. I have watched newbies to the area, who think they know what cold water is (my BIL was one), jump into a river of glacier melt in nothing but shorts. They always need help getting out after only 30 seconds or so.

A truly useful thread. Commenting only to be kept in the loop.

Just a quick FYI. The water temps in Puget Sound are about 44 - 68 degrees F, depending on time of year. If you haven't experienced trying to operate in cold water, you're in for a real treat. If you have then, you already know what to wear. I have watched newbies to the area, who think they know what cold water is (my BIL was one), jump into a river of glacier melt in nothing but shorts. They always need help getting out after only 30 seconds or so.

life jackets are useful for DB recovery.
Floater coat to survival suit if you plan to be rescued alive.

When I was young, it was different, because I was young and could endure the waters here more. Not worth having the right gear for that one time event in these waters.

35 years ago I dove with wet suit no problem with one tank.
One time had a 2nd tank at hand and went back in. Brrrrr, then I felt the cold.

At your own risk... please be very careful!!!

Venture into doing as I do but only IF you know what you are doing and how to do it. And, IMO anyone doing this needs to be able to hold their breath a minimum of 2 + minutes when at rest and a minimum of 1 minute while working under water.

1. Good face mask - I do not recommend a snorkel as added equipment.
2. Good fitting fins
3. Sharp reasonably short knife [5" +/-] - with very loosely looped wrist string - for quick removal if needed
4. Bright under water flash light - with very loosely looped wrist string - for quick removal if needed
5. Thin material well fitting gloves
6. Wet suite if water too cold.

I strongly recommend No Weights with such as I describe here.

You can easily go under boat and get to shaft/prop to cut off line. If it is wire that's a different story all together.

Although I have for decades done as I say for many sorts and reasons that I fairly often go under my boats. - YRMV! Be Very Careful!

Hello, I've been a certified diver since 1988. There is a product called "Spare Air" that is essentially a really small scuba tank. If your in a location where the water is warm and no wet suit is needed then this is perfect for bottom maintenance and no worries about getting the hookah hoses tangled.
If you need a wet suit then I would go with the complete setup including weight belt, BC and full scuba tank and of course I recommend getting certified before using any scuba equiptment.
Dave.

training training training

Before you do this I am going to recommend you take a PADI dive course. Diving is very safe if you have training and very dangerous if you have not had training. You need to learn about the difference between wet suits, dry suits and weights. Jumping in with no weight and you will never make it to the prop shaft. Jumping in with too much weight and you might find yourself stuck to the bottom of the sound.

After the training you will find some simple cost effective solutions.

I completely concur with Tiltrider. Been diving since I was 16 advanced, deep tek, deco, mixed gas, wreck blah blah blah and without proper training your odds of killing yourself are actually pretty low. Inexperienced divers worry about things that likely will not kill you (sharks) and ignore things that likely will kill you (embolisms). With training under your belt, you'll discover the equipment you need and will know how to use it safely.

My favorite saying is that a diver with advanced skills will use those skills to stay out of situations that require advanced skills! Training: Don't leave home without it.

Tak

I strongly recommend No Weights with such as I describe here.

You can easily go under boat and get to shaft/prop to cut off line. !

You might be able to shaft is about 4ft down, about 6 ft back from the transom, inside a nozzle protected by rudder on ours.

Most definitely need lead and air on ours.

Lead was easy, enough to very slowly sink when breathing out
Enough to slowly float up when breathing in.

Air was easy, diy hookah with 240v oilfree compressor with 24litre tank and gauges, 50m of hose, reg and filter for about $200.

Happy to stand down there for a couple of hours working away given the right conditions.

* I have been snorkeling since I was a kid
Had studied various free online courses
Have a mate who is a padi instructor who reckons I was good to go.

Last edited:
At the risk of...

I'll probably take a lot of cr*& for this, but here's my take.

If all you want is something to use in shallow depths, to do things like clearing a fowled prop or cleaning out a through-hull, etc.; and you don't want to screw with the cost, weight, the hydros/visuals, BC, weights... of a tank. Just get a cheap hookah rig to stash on the boat for emergencies. Make sure to have a surface person to monitor it every second. Breath constantly (no holding your breath). And don't get carried away and start using it for "diving". If you're going to do that, do it right. We're talking about your life. But truthfully, even though I have NAUI certs. for std., deep & safety diving, I love these for an emergency or checking an anchor, etc.

Can't get any cheaper than this. (balow) You noticed I said CHEAP. Hence a Surface Monitor at all times. But may want to check it out. It's on Alibaba

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...AiCk2vlctKQS6AKm61AaAjmoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can't get any cheaper than this. (balow) You noticed I said CHEAP. Hence a Surface Monitor at all times. But may want to check it out. It's on Alibaba

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...AiCk2vlctKQS6AKm61AaAjmoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
$203 + $143 freight?
Sure you can, made ours cheaper

Also bear in mind that unit probably won't put out enough if you are sucking air when working.
Will be enough to supply air to goldfish.

Our puts out enough for two people down.

Back
Top Bottom