Sleeve vs rebore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg W

I have a Lehman 120 which is in good condition other than a marring in cylinder 6 which needs repair. Question for the forum is would it be better to put sleeves in or rebore the cylinders? It is cast now (no sleeves).

Pretty sure you have to rebore the cylinder to press a sleeve in. If you have torn it down to that point, no reason to go half way, sleeve it.

Ted

It depends on how deep the damage is. Many cast iron block engines that don't have factory sleeves are designed to be over-bored up to a certain limit and have a couple sizes of oversize pistons available to accommodate. For engines that have factory sleeves with a coating (like most aluminum block engines) you would have to replace the sleeve, but I don't think the FL120 has any limitations like that.

If the damage is minor enough that going to the first available over-bore will remove the damage, I'd go for that route as it's likely to be cheaper and will return a perfectly good result. If the damage is too deep to clean up with an over-bore, then you have no choice but to bore it and sleeve it.

Back
Top Bottom