snow removal from rooftop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
The sundeck roof is accessible from the bridge. but the bridge's hard top is a bit out of reach. I wonder what to do when I see 4 inch snow on the top in the morning. shown in photo1, it's as far as I could go on the sundeck top.

except shrink wrap, is it the only solution to climb onto it and remove the snow using a shovel? IMG20231103190117_copy_2295x3060.jpg

IMG20231103190043_copy_3060x2295.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to remove the snow is dangerous. I'm quite sure it will be gone by July.

antenna / poles

Thanks for the humor.

I found snow joe 22 ft. Reach Snow Removal Roof Rake. this should be long enough to take care of the snow.

If I do a shrink wrap, does all the poles and antennas need to fold down? there's a high pole towards the bow side that does not have a folding handle at its base, I'm curious if they need to remove that pole for shrink wrapping.

Last edited:
If it is shrink wrapped then you should make a peak in the hardtop by putting some kind of support under the shrink wrap. Then the snow will generally slide off.

those poles when folded down will still form a peak area for the wrap

If it is shrink wrapped then you should make a peak in the hardtop by putting some kind of support under the shrink wrap. Then the snow will generally slide off.

The wrap material is really slippery, probably for just that reason. I don't remember every seeing a wrapped boat with snow on top.

You can get snow & ice build up on shrink wrap... to some degree.
Worst is wet mix & freezing temps on lower slope areas.
You don't need to build a complete frame / peak. Many yards place vertical supports in key / well supported locations tieing them off to ensure they remain vertical (plywood base to spread load a bit and carpet under base. Carpet any sharp edges at to to preventvtearing) Non stretch strapping is then run from a secure location at stern (swim deck supports or even to rudder post) up & over thecsupport(s) and down to bow (cleat, bow hook, etc) and pulled TIGHT. That's sufficient to form a peak in the wrap to shed snow... higher is better.
Some yards use blue wrap so it warms up and any build up more likely to slide off. Others prefer white to avoid over heating in warmer / sunlight times. Always compromises.
Just be sure that any tie downs go under hull to opposite side... not tied to jack stands.

those poles when folded down will still form a peak area for the wrap
I would support the wrap above any obstruction... the weight and forces on antennas, masts etc more than you will want on those to avoid breakage. Antennas, even folded down are common breakage items. I've seen some mast lights have a folding base added to easily fold down every fall.

I just use a deck brush to remove the bulk of the snow. Heat rising from the boats interior will melt the rest in short order.
I wouldn’t use anything with hard edges like a shovel or metal rake. Too easy to damage something.

I just use a deck brush to remove the bulk of the snow. Heat rising from the boats interior will melt the rest in short order.
I wouldn’t use anything with hard edges like a shovel or metal rake. Too easy to damage something.

This roof rake does not have metal shovel so should be safe for roof

We have lived here in Michigan for over 10 years. I have never seen anyone raking snow off any of the hundreds of shrinked boats since they do proper slopes in the shrink. Do it right and then no problems.

The obvious solution is to head South until the snow melts!:DI know, someone had to say it . . . .

I'm thinking about roof rake if I don't do shrink wrap..

We usually winter in the water, do not shrink wrap, and when snow happens... it goes away.

From the hardtop, all by itself. From the cockpit, via snow shovel. Which seems a little goofy, of course....

-Chris

We usually winter in the water, do not shrink wrap, and when snow happens... it goes away.

From the hardtop, all by itself. From the cockpit, via snow shovel. Which seems a little goofy, of course....

Hah! I forgot. We now have navy canvas for the cockpit, so didn't even get snow in there last winter!

-Chris

I had to look up this “snow” you guys are talking about. Damn that sounds like hell! It actually falls from the sky?

Back
Top Bottom