"Solar Generator" initial impressions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
When portable solar generators first appeared a couple years ago, I thought it was a crock of dung. No way a small battery could match the energy density of dead dinosaurs, right?

But I've slowly evolved as I considered use case and how each would be used. The Venn diagram intersects mildly but far from completely. Internal combustion engine (ICE) generators are great for sustained hi-load requirements such as running AC or running power tools for a jobsite. Where they don't work as well is for either (1) sustained low load applications (charging electronics and power tools); or (2) short duration moderate loads such as a coffee maker or microwave.

What is a portable solar generator? It's a compact device with a LFP battery, an inverter, a battery charger (roughly equal to 90-amps at 12v so it really charges quickly), an MPPT for solar, and of course AC outlets. The Ecoflow I purchased from Costco has 1kwh of battery storage (roughly equal to one 100ah 12v battery), an 1800 watt inverter (2700 watt surge), a 1200-watt battery charger (roughly 90-amps at 12v!!! Really charges fast): an MPPT capable of up to 500-watts solar, plus the monitoring and circuit protection all in a 27-lb package. The Costco bundle included a pair of portable solar panels totaling 220 watts. All for $750 after a $50 sale discount. Pretty good deal when you consider what it would take to replicate the components.

What will I use it for? First an unusual application. Our house is being drywalled as I write so much of the electricity is off. But our outdoor landscaping needs watering so I'll plug the controller into the Solar Generator. I'll bet it runs a month or more without solar panels, indefinitely with the panels. Second, when we were out of power altogether, would have used it to run a small fridge which would have run indefinitely with the 220w solar and sunny conditions. Finally, I kept a lot of DeWalt 20clc tools charged.

To my eyes, these are very common use cases, none of them are efficiently served by an ICE generator, even a small Honda that would need gas ever 8-hours or so (BTW - gas was difficult to find right after Helene and Milton).

So I'm a convert to solar generators. What are others doing with them besides running Christmas lights on their RV?

Here's the link to the Costco one I purchased, but there were other brands. Temu has no-name ones with twice the battery, but who knows how they spec out.

Peter

Attachments

• 20241022_183354.jpg
    20241022_183354.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
Will it jump start the car too?
Actually, that’s pretty cool. I have a little place at the coast here that loses power regularly in the winter. I don’t really want to install a backup generator, so this might be a solution. It would need to be a bit bigger though, to run the well pump.

I've actually considered building my own.

Our boat is put up for the winter, so I took my Lifepo4 battery home and put it near my pellet stove. I have a small inverter and plan to use it to power my pellet stove if the power goes out.

I went the diy route too. I had a spare 100ah LFP battery that didn't fit in Weebles, and a 1000w PSW inverter. So I purchased a 100w panel and a Victron MPPT. I also had a spare circuit breaker. And cables. So for about $1200 in parts, I have about what I paid $750 for from Costco. Two big differences. The ecoflow is in a compact form and can be easily transported. And it includes a beefy battery charger so can be plugged into a 120vac outlet (1200 watt charger) or a cigarette lighter (180 watt charger). And I didn't have to pull out the hydraulic crimper.

Peter

I went the diy route too. I had a spare 100ah LFP battery that didn't fit in Weebles, and a 1000w PSW inverter. So I purchased a 100w panel and a Victron MPPT. I also had a spare circuit breaker. And cables. So for about $1200 in parts, I have about what I paid $750 for from Costco. Two big differences. The ecoflow is in a compact form and can be easily transported. And it includes a beefy battery charger so can be plugged into a 120vac outlet (1200 watt charger) or a cigarette lighter (180 watt charger). And I didn't have to pull out the hydraulic crimper.

Peter
Good to know. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom