Solar Installation on 37 Pilot House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grnelson98

Vessel Name
Miss Peaches
Vessel Make
37 Seville Pilothouse
We are considering a solar installation to keep the house batteries up while at anchor without the generator running periodically. Most of the pictures of the installations I can find look like the panels were installed on the pilot house roof, a panel either side of the hatch, although I have seen some boats mount them on or above the Bimini. I would be interested to know what others have done; mounting locations for the panels, total wattage of the panels, and do you feel it is / was worth while. Based on my calculations I think we need 600-800watts to hold the house loads and top off the house batteries on a daily basis assuming the sun is shining. Our two biggest house loads are the refrigerator and Starlink when it is running. Thanks in advance.

Different boat, but same basic idea. I have a raised pilothouse and have two 385 watt panels up there.
Huge difference. I still run at a deficit, but I can easily last three or more days before having to start an engine.
My main draws are the same as yours, but also add in microwave and coffee maker usage. Inverter is on 24/7 too.

I have a single 365W panel on the PH roof. It is what would fit. I have a collapsible Bimini over the flybridge and it would be much better if I replaced it with two large permanently mounted panels. I just didn't want to do that much work. Others have mounted panels on their deck rails, often on hinges, to give them more usable solar. This also works well, but not something I wanted to do as they would interfere with the kayaks and SUP boards that are hung there. My 365W panel has been enough to get my 780Ah AGM bank to full SOC during the summer after running the genset in the morning to get the bank from Bulk to absorb. For me it has been well worth the cost and effort and it is only 365W.

My thoughts are that some solar is great, more solar is better, and more solar is rarely "enough" solar. There are some that have been able to fully replace their daily Ah budget with solar, but it takes a big solar commitment in cost and real estate to accomplish it.

I have future plans for panels on our pilothouse roof. Same boat, so very similar issues.

That said, I heard a perspective that resonated with me. Diesel is cheap. The author said he can "replace the amp hours used in a day or two with a generator run for a couple dollars an hour and not fiddle with solar. And panels don't last much longer than batteries." Interesting. It has me thinking.

Back
Top Bottom