Solar q for Mainship pilot owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Has anyone installed solar on their Pilot Hardtop? If so where did you run the wires? We are not sure if there is a raceway or other way to snake the wire thru the hardtop the. Down to engine room. If anyone has done this let me know before I endure heartache

Well, I installed a somewhat temporary panel on the roof of my Pilot 34 and ran the wires down the outside of the boat and in a vent into the engine room, but I doubt that is what you want to do.

There is a chase in the front starboard side window pillar where all of the wires from the rooftop go down. You can either access it from the center where the radar dome/searchlight was mounted on my boat, or over towards the starboard side at the front of the roof underneath the gps antenna. There is an inside access panel more or less underneath the GPS antenna to help with wire pulling. Both go over to the chase and the base of the GPS is probably easier.

The chase goes down below and if you tilt out the helm station it can be accessed from underneath there. But I would use that only as a pull point to get the wire down below the roof and then using an electrician's fish tape work it back along the starboard side to the engine room or preferably to the AC/DC electrical panel on the back of the salon.
You can mount your solar controller near the AC/DC panel and wire the solar panels to it. From there you can just go to a spare DC breaker to back feed the batteries or if full, directly to the 50A main DC breaker. With at least 10 gauge wire you won't need another breaker, but it probably should be bigger than that to minimize voltage drop. All depends on your panel wattage.

With two or four solar panels, I would wire them in series/parallel down to the MPPT controller. This also minimizes voltage drop.

David

Thank you. The admiral wants to go solar but will want to keep everything clean. I will let the pros wire it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom