Sounding from tender - handheld?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not applicable to everyone, but my cruising grounds is the bahamas and we do a lot of snorkling and free diving. I put a $500 5 inch garmin fish finder - gps on towed 14 ft Twin Vee that has a center counsol for mounting. Now when I go over something interesting on the big boat, I'll mark it and then go back in TV to investigate.

I'm getting rid of the TV because I don't like towing it and I don't want that much weight on the front of my boat. The new dinghy will have a console with a fishfinder/gps on it.

OK, here's an update on the T-pod portable sounder thing I ordered to use exclusively for locating navigable water in our RIB for anchoring possibilities in our boat. I had the idea to just use a piece of pvc pipe to tow the pod out ahead of the RIB. The RIB is on the hard now in storage so I lashed the pipe one of the bow cleats on our Carolina skiff. The pipe extended past the bow 3-4' & initially I tied the pod with no slack in the line as soon as it was in the water. I was disappointed with the readings because the thing did tend to skip over the water and loose the bottom. I payed out a couple of feet of line and it did much better, staying locked on the bottom and giving depth readings consistently. The skiff tends to idle a little faster than optimum for the pod but it did ok. I think that ,in the RIB, being much closer to the water and able to putt along at a lower speed, I'll be more than happy with it's performance. I think the thing is designed for being towed behind a self-powered boat at slower speeds of less than 3 knots.
Anyway, for an investment of less than $75 , and having a tender without a console or a 12v battery supply, this is a good option for finding a depth. As a bonus and as opposed to a digital sounder, this gives a depiction of the bottom regarding hardness (sand, mud, etc) or debris ,so as to help with the anchoring decision (in the bottom screenshot I took while in our creek, you can clearly see the harder sand bottom that transitioned to more mud.
I'll improve on the pole mounting and use probably velcro when we start using it.

Attachments

• IMG-3506.jpg
    IMG-3506.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-3511.jpg
    IMG-3511.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-3512.jpg
    IMG-3512.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-3509.jpg
    IMG-3509.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 19
I went down this path as well and ended up with a Hawkeye mounted in the "bow locker" bulkhead of our Highfield CL310. Our Yamaha is manual start and the dinghy has no battery. To power the Hawkeye, I added a 2000 mAh battery and a simple charger controller mounted in a water tight box with a 2 watt solar panel mounted inside the transom. Works like a charm.

https://hawkeyeelectronics.com/products/depthtrax-2b-boatmount-depth-finder

I have a Hummingbird depth/fishfinder that runs on two lantern batteries and attaches to the transom. I have only used it fishing but I might try this sometime.

Back
Top Bottom