Spectra water maker fresh water flush module valve position

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
I'm getting ready to start up a long pickled yet new to me Spectra Newport 400. PO left the flush water flush module valve in "OFF". The manual I have says nothing about where this valve should be to start and run. "RUN" or "SERVICE" are the labeled options. I'm thinking "RUN" but don't want to make a mistake.

I've called Spectra, they are not answering calls.

I've changed all the filters.

The Spectra Newport 400-c has both a manual and an auto flush system. When it was pickled the fresh water valve was probably closed to prevent any pickling fluid from traveling backwards or to prevent the pickling fluid from being fresh water flushed.

Open both the raw water access valves and the fresh water valve. Start it and let it run for two hours. Once done manually start a fresh water flush cycle. After that everything should be good.

It might take 10 minutes before the system determines good product water so be patient. Spectra’s are very good units and usually only have issues if they run out of flush water.

The Spectra Newport 400-c has both a manual and an auto flush system. When it was pickled the fresh water valve was probably closed to prevent any pickling fluid from traveling backwards or to prevent the pickling fluid from being fresh water flushed.

Open both the raw water access valves and the fresh water valve. Start it and let it run for two hours. Once done manually start a fresh water flush cycle. After that everything should be good.

It might take 10 minutes before the system determines good product water so be patient. Spectra’s are very good units and usually only have issues if they run out of flush water.
Thank you for the prompt and very helpful reply. Were it only that simple. I did finally get in touch with Spectra tech support and they walked me through the process. Immediately there was a serious leak on the end of the Clark pump. That's gotta come out to get overhauled or replaced. I'm now in touch with Emerald Marine in Seattle. They may have reman pump in stock. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Clark pump leak.jpg
    Clark pump leak.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 18
Emerald marine are good people. Spectra is a good watermaker. Once you get it debugged it will be very dependable. Notice I never used the word inexpensive with spectra.

Thank you for posting this.

We have the same unit, which came to us pickled when we purchased the boat 7 years ago. The watermaker queen commissioned it per the manual and let it auto flush with light use for 6 years. This last year it has supported our cruising under constant yet not heavy use, nearly problem free. I hope you have a similar experience.

Will look forward to further updates, please and thank you.

Irene, I'll happily share any lessons learned, knowledge gained etc. But it's going to be a while. I got the info I needed to begin to flush it out. As soon as the low pressure flow started into the Clark pump it leaked at an end cap. A bad enough leak I shut it down. Consulting with Spectra and their authorized local servicer Emerald Harbor Marine the pump needs to come out and be torn down for inspection. Perhaps replacement. We're trying to depart middle of next week for a month long cruise and the turn around time is too long. So I'm fitting an additional water tank and we'll be careful with water usage.
Will look forward to further updates, please and thank you.

Back
Top Bottom