Split Inits to Chiller System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M.V. LOTTIE
Vessel Make
Lien Hwa/Pilothouse LRC
Have any if y’all ever changed over from split units to a chill water system? I can find plenty of compressors and pumps, air handlers and controls, but I can’t locate any piping and insulation.

Any leads on the insulated piping?

Have any if y’all ever changed over from split units to a chill water system? I can find plenty of compressors and pumps, air handlers and controls, but I can’t locate any piping and insulation.

Any leads on the insulated piping?

I've not done what you're doing, however I have some experience with hot water loops. My parents retirement home was on Martha's Vineyard off Massachusetts. There home was heated by an oil fired boiler with hot water based board heat. A small guest house was made out of a 2+ car garage. To heat the guest house and provide domestic hot water, plastic pipe with 2 layers of foam insulation inserted into PVC 4" drain pipe was buried 6' under ground between the buildings. It worked extremely well.

So to answer your question, I would guess that hot water plastic pipe insulated with one or 2 layers of foam pipe insulation should work quite well. I would find out what the hottest temperature from either the heating system or the engine would be, and make sure the piping can handle it.

Ted

Usually copper pipe or copper tubing. In ships, steel pipe.

I use hydronic heating and my system is setup to use the same plumbing for chilled water, but compressor isn't installed. Cabins use 1 or 2 forced air units. All connected by insulated copper pipe.

My 2000 Grand Banks 42C came w/ a chiller system (which I believe is pretty rare). I'm the 3rd owner and pretty sure boat came new w/this set-up. Took me some time to get used to it, but overall, I like it. Chiller water piping is all PVC surrounded by thick HD pipe insulation. That's a downside - as the insulated piping takes up fair bit of room in some spots, making it harder to get to some areas.

Boat system has chiller pump, 2 chiller units and 3 air handlers (bow, salon & aft cabin).

Back
Top Bottom