Stainless Steel Anchor Chain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJimB

Vessel Name
Shootist
Vessel Make
Mikelson 43SF
While impossible, PLEASE SET ASIDE THE COST for this discussion.

What are the benefits and disadvantages of using SS chain on a horizontal windlass?

*Appears it stacks and pays out a whole lot better than galvanized.
*Good SS doesn't rust.

? Is there a difference in physical size with same spec?

? Does the gypsy bite galvanized chain better than SS? Will SS chain have a greater chance of jumping from a gypsy?

Look forward to learning your experiences.

Ordinary 316 etc is at risk of developing cracks and failing. Chromox is the only way to go. And yes, it will stack better and last longer. Dimensions wont be an issue assuming you match chain and gypsy to each other.

I'm not using this although I wish I was able to.

I have read that it cleans off easier, but have never used it so I don't know for sure.

I have 12mm Cromox and love it. The cost was painful, but looking back I consider is $$ well spent. Recapping and adding to what's already been said:

- Cromox WLL is the same if not a bit better than G4 chain of the same size. 316SS is lower strength, so will require larger size, or accepting lower WLL.

- The chain piles much better. My galvi used to spill out of my chain box, and how the SS only half fills it.

- Silt and mud wash off MUCH easier, with much less ending up in your chain locker. That's less mess and less stink.

- No rust on deck, no flakes of rust all over the place, no rusty mess in the chain locker.

- Mine is a good bit quieter through the windless, but I can't say if that's because of the SS or if it's because the link dimensions are different.

- I have not had any issues with skipping on the gypsie.

- If you are ordering the chain, order it with an oversized link in the end. That will allow for a single large shackle to your anchor.

- Pay very careful attention to the link dimensions. There are DIN, ISO and "US" dimensions, and they are not the same. I needed a new chain wheel and it was over $2500 just for the chain wheel. Also, US chain sizes are such that you can fit one size larger shackle pin through a link. So a 1/2" chain can accept a 5/8" shackle pin, and the 5/8" shackle matches the WLL of the 1/2"chain. With many (most from what I saw) DIN and ISO links, you can only fit the same size shackle which creates a significant weak link in the system. This is another reason why that larger end link is so important.

- Don't make the change on a schedule. I ordered directly from Ketten Walder and they took my money and then about 5x the promised time to deliver. The buying experience was among the worst I have ever had. But I do really like the product.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom